“THE HOUSE OF CURIOUSITIES” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Laurel Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harpers Ferry
Laurel Lodge
PO Box 1011, PO Box 1011, Harpers Ferry, WV 25425   |
Oxford, England
“THE HOUSE OF CURIOUSITIES”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I stayed here on my way back from doing the 150th re-enactment of the battle of Gettysburg as I was re-tracing the line of the Confederate retreat (they crossed the Potomac slightly upstream at Williamsport). Laurel Lodge just snouted it above The Jackson Rose due to the view offered by the Cedar room. This overlooks the Potomac and Maryland Heights on the other side of the river as well as the railroad track (strangely not featuring in the reviews or the publicity). Thanks to heavy tree growth and the fact that the trains don't appear to run through the night, this was not a problem and anyway I find the sound of American locomotive whistles romantic. I was quizzed as to whether I knew what river it was - I've visited the area many times so I did know!
I only just got there before the latest check in time of 7.00 pm - don't know what would have happened if I had been later. While I just wanted to sort out my kit and have a shower, I got the full tour and was even required to pay up there and then. The room was somewhat gloomy but of a decent size and the bathroom was well equipped with a hair dryer tucked in a little cupboard. There are a few nice features like a fridge and beverage facilities (and cake) although this is downstairs in the hallway.
Expect a trek if you want dinner in Harpers Ferry. The historic centre is quite a way away and down a steep hill - fortunately some nice Irish people gave me a lift back up the hill. Dining options are few - down to two on a Monday night apparently. The innkeeper Chris professed to know nothing of the top-rated Vista Tavern and Grill which is only just outside the town - I had even passed it on the way in. But their posh restaurant was apparently booked for a private function and the 'We've got crabs' sign by the entrance was a bit off putting anyway.
If I've got any criticism it's that the innkeeper was too obtrusive. I was up early putting stuff in the car - a fact that was commented on. Was my room bugged?! And I got a full description of where the breakfast ingredients were sourced from. Frankly, I couldn't care less except it was all completely delicious and probably worth going back just for that. By the way you'll need to decide what time you want breakfast the night before. The value for money aspect has been a little dented by a significant recent price hike but Laurel Lodge should certainly feature on your Harpers Ferry short list if only for the view (and the breakfast!).

Room Tip: I stayed in the Cedar Room which overlooks the Potomac, Maryland Heights and the railroad! Nice view...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

96 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Chris and Ed have managed to create something great and authentic at Laurel Lodge. We arrived a little jaded after 3 days in Washington following a transatlantic flight, this was the antidote! The attention to detail and just making sure everything was perfect was amazing. Breakfast was an experience in itself, beautiful locally sourced ingredients.

The nAtural scenery of the area is breath taking which is helped by a lovely balcony and chairs. We would recommend to anyone

Room Tip: Ask for one over looking the river,it's breath taking!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Columbus, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed at the lodge July 1, 2013, a very busy time of year for them; they were efficient, friendly and helpful. We loved the view out the back. My only complaint was that I did not have enough time to really enjoy it. They went out of their way to accommodate my complicated dietary restraints. Our hope is to be back again.

Room Tip: Book early and ask for a room in the back if you can.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

My husband and I spent two nights at the Laurel Lodge and had a wonderful stay. The home is beautifully furnished with tons of Civil War artifacts in the most unique places!! The back porch is so relaxing with amazing views of the river and mountains. We stayed in the maple view room. The room was large and nicely furnished. The bathroom was small but straight out of restoration hardware! I really enjoyed the robes provided for lounging around the room. It was quite hot while down in West Virginia, but the Laurel Lodge was nice and cool all the time.

The breakfasts at the Inn are delicious. Day #1 cherry scones, yogurt parfait with fresh fruit, pancakes and sausage. Day #2 warm coffee cake, broiled grapefruit with allspice and honey, and a frittata. All of the food and coffee is locally sourced. In the evening there is always a wonderful treat placed on the buffet for a snack.

Our Innkeeper (Chris) is so friendly and filled with tons of information about the area. He suggested a route for our trip to Antietam that was great. Chris was always available if we needed him for anything. It is very obvious Chris loves his work!

I would have to say that this MUST be the best place to stay in the Harper's Ferry area.

Room Tip: Maple View Room
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stayed in Laurel Lodge as part of our 3 week road trip along the eastern USA, starting at Washington and finishing in Boston.

We particularly wanted to visit the historical site of Harpers Ferry and then on to Antietam battle site, but there are not many suitable hotels locally, but having discovered Laural Lodge, we were delighted with our choice! It was the only B & B in which we stayed on this trip, but was certainly an excellent standard.

A beautifully restored and renovated early 1900s home, brought up to date with ac and super bathrooms etc. Owned and run by Chris (front of house etc) and Ed (behind the scenes, cooking , it was like returning to a bygone era with the period decor and features – see the photos! They have also researched the history of the house; this is documented and available for guest to read with a tour guide of the property to follow around.

The original owner was a Civil War collector and many artefacts from this time have been incorporated or inset into the building: badges, pistols, rifles, buckles, bullets, swords etc all set outside above the windows, in the pavement, or in the pillars. Some have been stolen over the years, however many remain to be seen today.

Very clean and tidy, excellent breakfast, well presented and prepared, again see the photo of the strawberry parfait.

The location about a mile from the historic centre of Harpers Ferry is high up the valley, being the last house in the road it has splendid panoramic views both from our room and from the terrace/deck at the rear across the Potomac River Valley, check photos.

We only stayed one night as we were on a schedule, but would have liked to stay longer. Would recommend this place if you are looking to stay in this area.

Room Tip: Try to book a room at the back with the Valley view.
Occoquan, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Ed and Chris understand hospitality. My partner and I spent this past weekend visiting Harper's Ferry and the surrounding area and selected Laurel Lodge based on the other reviews. We were not disappointed. In fact it surpassed our expectations at all levels. Book in advance they are popular. The home is truly a unique part of Harper's Ferry and its historic past. The food was superb. And Laurel Lodge provides a central location for visiting the area and offers one of the most unique views of the Potomac. We were able to relax from the rigors of daily life at Laurel Lodge. We can't wait to go back. On our next visit we might bike up or take a scenic train ride from DC and leave the car at home. It is so close to the DC metro area but seems like another planet with a slow, simple, and peaceful way of life. Thanks Ed and Chris.

Napa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

?the hosts of Laurel Lodge, Chris and Ed, have truly mastered The art of hospitality. They have created a treasure...Laurel Lodge is a charming Craftsman home that is beautifully renovated by the hosts. It is a haven in a busy world...with a gorgeous deck where one can linger and savor the peaceful view. Our room, Cedar view, was fabulous. The simplicity of the style, free of clutter made it so comfortable.

The breakfast was truly extraordinary! We were delighted to learn that each item was local, fresh and carefully selected. Looking out on the beautiful view, savoring the delicious breakfast is a memory I will long remember. It was truly the best!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Laurel Lodge? Share your experiences!