We had read several reviews of this B&B and others in Harper's Ferry, and the one that said this was a "diamond in the rough" was definitely most accurate. We had a rocky start for sure: We arrived smack in the middle of the time when the owners ask that you arrive, but no one was there (thank goodness the door was unlocked). A note said that they would be "right back," but after waiting almost an hour (and getting more and more annoyed), we left a note for the owners, left a message on their cell, and went walking. Per the website, we had expected to be greeted by the friendly owners who had wine and apps in hand for us, and it was really disappointing, to say the least. The owner did eventually call us and apologize, but even the next afternoon when the owners had the opportunity to 'redeem themselves,' they were no-shows again. So, we just poured ourselves a glass of wine and sat on the deck. The owners should take the "late afternoon wine/apps" offering off of their website if they aren't going to actually follow through.
Still, the Ledge House has by far the best location of all the B&Bs in the area. We spent a lot of time on the vast deck--from enjoying our morning coffee, reading in the afternoon, to enjoying a glass of wine in the evening; the view was absolutely incredible. The inside, however, needs to be renovated and really cleaned so it can match the beauty the outside has to offer. Our room was spacious (and included satellite tv with movie channels, which was nice b/c there's not much night life in the sleepy town), but it was not as clean as we would have expected. And many little details were missing--not enough liquid hand soap, only a 1/4 roll of toilet paper and no refill, no kleenex, etc. Paying attention to these types of details would have helped us overlook the "rugged" nature of the room, and it would have shown us that the owners really cared about making their guests comfortable--which is one of the reasons why we stay in B&Bs.
The breakfasts were served on time and were absolutely delicious! We were surprised that the owners themselves didn't cook the breakfasts (the cook was friendly, but we had no idea who she was) or come upstairs to say hi or anything. We guessed it was b/c we stayed during the week; the other reviewers who interacted with the owners a lot most likely stayed during the weekend.
So, overall, the location makes this place worthwhile, but the inside and the expectations set need some work.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy incredible views of the famous Harpers Ferry Gap from our balconies and decks. Spacious suites with private bathrooms, king sized beds, sitting rooms, and cable. Fire place in the common area. The Ledge House is in Harpers Ferry National Historic Park. Hike the Appalachian Trail, Bike the C&O Canal, Raft the Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers. Taste wine country. Inquire about Vacation rentals and short-term rentals. Government per diem honored. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with T4B so you can book your The Ledge House Bed and Breakfast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Ledge House And Canal House Cottage
- The Ledge House & Canal House Cottage Hotel Harpers Ferry