my husband and i stayed in suite 3 of this B&B during a wedding weekend. i have since read most of the reviews, and i will say that several of the little pet peeves others had about this place have been addressed. particularly the living space - the owners now have a separate living room/kitchen, so that is a non issue. also, my husband is allergic to cats, but had little to no issues in our room.
-beautiful views (from suite 3)
-extremely comfortable bed
-large bathrooms in suite 1 and 2 (we peeked)
-the train, though cool, runs right past the house every few hours and is LOUD
-difficult to find, as there are two roads with same name - i got lost and have a fairly good sense of direction
-check in times are a small window (they are willing to check you in late, but it doesn't seem to be preferable for them)
Pro for some/Con for others:
we found the owners to be friendly, laid back, willing to sit and chat, interesting, and very hands off. some would love that, others may not. this is not a luxury hotel... its a quaint bed and breakfast in West Virginia, so they do not lock doors - we didn't have an issue with this, but others may; the house is old and has character, so its a little "squeaky"; there are few, but lovely, choices for breakfast and you eat with the other guests - luckily we had very kind housemates.
we thought of it as staying with very hospitable friends of friends.... that isn't for everyone, but we enjoyed it.
- Also Known As:
- The Ledge House And Canal House Cottage
- The Ledge House & Canal House Cottage Hotel
- The Ledge House & Canal House Cottage Hotel Harpers Ferry
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy incredible views of the famous Harpers Ferry Gap from our balconies and decks. Spacious suites with private bathrooms, king sized beds, sitting rooms, and cable. Fire place in the common area. The Ledge House is in Harpers Ferry National Historic Park. Hike the Appalachian Trail, Bike the C&O Canal, Raft the Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers. Taste wine country. Inquire about Vacation rentals and short-term rentals. Government per diem honored. ... more less