My boyfriend and I just spent a couple of days at Canal House Cottage.
Pro: Canal House Cottage could be lovely and private. It was very clean.
Con: It has a terrible view of the back of a cafe. The real problem is that it just did not seem to be well maintained - burned out lights, non-functioning DVD player, no way to find out the password for the internet, no soap in the bathroom, no heat, etc. But what makes this a bad review is the fact that they just would not give us toilet paper.
When we arrived, we told the proprietor, Carrie, that there was no toilet paper. She apologized and said she'd send someone right over with some. 5 hours later, we begged the Canal House Cafe for a roll of toilet paper. They apologized and promised to get word to Carrie that we needed more. The next day: still no toilet paper. We spoke to one woman on the phone and left a message on Carrie's voice mail. No one ever even called us back.
Some amenities are luxuries - some, like toilet paper, are necessities. There is nothing romantic about saying, "Honey, I need to go into town so I'll have something to wipe with." Maybe we caught them on an off day?
- Also Known As:
- The Ledge House And Canal House Cottage
- The Ledge House & Canal House Cottage Hotel
- The Ledge House & Canal House Cottage Hotel Harpers Ferry
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy incredible views of the famous Harpers Ferry Gap from our balconies and decks. Spacious suites with private bathrooms, king sized beds, sitting rooms, and cable. Fire place in the common area. The Ledge House is in Harpers Ferry National Historic Park. Hike the Appalachian Trail, Bike the C&O Canal, Raft the Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers. Taste wine country. Inquire about Vacation rentals and short-term rentals. Government per diem honored. ... more less