“A place for a quick bite.” 4 of 5 stars

304/535-2327
Website
Improve this listing
Allentown NJ
“A place for a quick bite.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Wanted to stop for a quick lunch in Harpers Ferry as it was the halfway point of a 7 hour drive. Service was friendly and quick. Good tuna melt and Monte cristo sandwich. Clean and bright but no frills type of atmosphere. Felt like it was the locals standard after church stop. Would recommend if you want a quick no frills but good sandwich.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Frederick, Maryland
“Homey, Delicious and Comfortable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Country Cafe is a great name for a place that takes you back to the Mom and Pop restaurants of the 50's . We visited on a Tuesday at lunch time and received a friendly greeting from the lady I later found out was the owner. We chose a seat for 2 at a window with a gorgeous view (yes it was gorgeous) of the cemetery next door. As has been previously mentioned, this is not a large place, having maybe 12 tables for various size groups. It also seems like a place the locals come because people around the room were greeting one another as well as new customers coming in the door. Overall this was the friendliest atmosphere I've experienced in an eatery.

Our waitress came right away, took drink orders and served those promptly. I asked about the specials and she suggested the pulled pork barbecue platter which did not disappoint. My partner chose the Tuna Melt which was to die for. Back to that in a minute. This is good down home comfort food, homemade and scrumptious. The barbecue was freshly shredded pork served in a light yet mildly spicy barbecue sauce on a large toasted sesame seed bun. The sauce was tasty enough to say "more" but not too hot for the sensitive. It was served with a generous portion of french fries served hot and crisp and some of the best crispy coleslaw I've had in a long time.

My partners Tuna Melt contained a generous portion of white meat tuna salad along with gooey hot melted cheddar cheese grilled between thick slices of bread. It was served with chips and a pickle. The portions size for both our meals were generous and we had no room for dessert though we did see some homemade looking brownies, blondies and cookies in the display case. Everything was cooked fresh and served hot. A very satisfying meal.

As we were finishing our meal, the proprietor came over to ask if enjoyed our meals, and then stayed to chit chat for a minute. We got some great tips on where to go and what to see in the lower town.

Our total bill came to $17.01 for meals and drinks. The sweet tea and diet coke included free refills. We felt this was more than reasonable for an hour in this adorable place with good food and good company. It may not have Civil War ambiance, but Country Cafe takes you back to the homey restaurants in a quieter time before all the fast food places came along. We'd return in a heartbeat.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Woodbridge, NJ, USA
“Great Breakfast Spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Nice local spot for breakfast with freshly prepared food. Friendly service. They also sell used books if you're so inclined.

Visited September 2012
Hagerstown, Maryland
“Happy I stopped”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Passing through Harper's Ferry a little after 12 noon on Tuesday, I decided to stop at the Country Cafe. Inside, I found a clean, open dining room with tables for two to six people. There were about eight people there when I went in. The waitress quickly greeted me, explained the daily special and took my order. The menu listed mostly sandwiches, soups and salads, all were well described and all sounded good. I chose the hot ham and Swiss sandwich and coffee.
The waitress brought coffee immediately. It came in a large mug, was hot and was very good.
The food also came out quickly, was freshly prepared,and attractively presented. The ham was a good quality baked ham, and the Swiss cheese was ample and nicely melted. Fresh lettuce and a slice of ripe tomato completed the sandwich; all on a toasted, firm-textured sesame seed roll, lightly spread with mayonnaise. It came with potato chips and a dill pickle spear. My bill was less than $8.00.
I am happy I decided to try this restaurant, and will stop again when near Harper's Ferry.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Troutville, Virginia
“Very nice lunch in a relaxed atmosphere.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

We were just passing through the area and decided to stop here for lunch. They have a good selection of sandwiches, soups, and salads. I believe everything is homemade. We were completely satisfied with the food, the service, and the prices. I would definitely stop in again if we're in the area again.

• Visited July 2012