“Pleasant Dinner” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Pub, Sandwiches
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Description: Casual dining in a rustic atmosphere. Established in 1985, local produce featured in season. OPEN Wednesday - Sunday 11am to 9pm, bar and slots open later. Will open for private parties of 40 or more on Monday or Tuesday. Private rooms available for groups small to 100 inside. Tented patio for special outdoor events up to 150
north carolina
“Pleasant Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Upon arrival we were offered to be seated in the dining room or on the sun porch--we chose the sun porch. Good choice. It was still light out, so we had a pleasant view of the gardens and pond. Our waitress was friendly and polite. We began with drinks from the bar then our meal. I was surprised that a green vegetable addition to my entree was $2.00 (considering prices) although they do include a small side salad with your dinner. Service time was just what i would expect for cooked-to-order entrees, it did not seem like a long wait to me. I had the chicken du jour, my husband had the strip steak. The food was delicious. My chicken was tender, decent size and hot, served with a generous side portion of pasta. My husbands steak was tender and tasty. We were not disappointed and were full by the end of the meal. I would definitely go to the Anvil again.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“The surf and turf was great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

My son and daughter in law took us the food was great and the staff very friendly will go again next time I am in harpers ferry

Bosnia and Herzegovina
“The best in Harper's Ferry area...good food, full-service bar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We were quite impressed with this restaurant, particularly the well-cooked food. It is relatively basic fare with a concentration on seafood. The seafood crepes were excellent and the prime rib (available only occasionally) was out of this world.

It is the ONLY place within many, many miles that has a full-service bar. Crazy liquor laws keep a tight lid on restaurants here and this is the only one that isn't within a prohibited distance from a church, school, fire station, street corner, street light, gas station, or grocery store (note: this is somewhat facetious folks...but when the manager tried to explain why he could serve drinks and other restaurants couldn't, my head began to spin with the complexity of these outdated and puritanical laws). In any case, if you want to sip on a martini or bloody Mary, this is the only place in the entire region where you can do that.

Service was very prompt and friendly. Atmosphere is decent, with a hint of upscale dining, i.e. one step above the standard family restaurant.

Bottom line: very good service, good food, decently priced wine line, and full-service bar...what more can you want after a long ride on the C&O canal or long day's hike on the Appalachian Trail?

Banja Luka, Bosnia and Herzegovina
“Best Choice for Dinner in Harper's Ferry”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

This should be #1! The Anvil appears to be the ONLY real restaurant in town that serves a decent dinner in the evening. And we could order alcohol with our meal! Many restaurants in Harper's Ferry do not serve alcohol due to city ordinances. The Anvil is able to serve drinks. They have a lovely dinner menu. My husband had the prime rib which had the best seasoning I've ever tasted. I had the seafood crepes which were also good. They were very busy but our service was fantastic. Amy was very attentive and a real sweetie. We were in earlier to check out the menu and came back for dinner a few hours later. The staff remembered us and greeted us warmly. This is THE place to go in Harper's Ferry. The locals appear to know that. It was packed which is always a good sign of good service and great food.

“The Anvil Nails It!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

My family and I traveled to Harper's Ferry via Amtrak in the summer of 2013. We decided to eat at the Anvil on the recommendation of someone at the motel we stayed. Quite simply put we loved it. We were only in town for 2 days and ate there both times. I had the WV Trout which was amazing. My wife ordered the Seafood Crepes which was also excellent! Our son had the Crab Cakes the 1st night and Crepes the 2nd night. I loved the fish so much I ordered it the second night! Their salad is awesome! Finally someone understands that a salad should be something more than iceberg lettuce, tomatoes and the other boring bland get-it-every-where-you-go type stuff. It was apparent that someone in the salad making department had a feel for eating organic. THANK YOU FOR THAT! Our waiter, Bejoy, was excellent. I suppose when most of America eats McDonald's or some other hog trough establishment they don't exactly realize they are eating something worthwhile. That's OK we got the message. I hope we can return to Harper's Ferry sometime soon and enjoy the food there once again.

• Visited June 2013