“My First Trip To Harpers Ferry KOA” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Harpers Ferry KOA

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harpers Ferry
Harpers Ferry KOA
You added Harpers Ferry KOA to your Saves list
343 Campground Road, Harpers Ferry, WV 25425   |
Baltimore, Maryland
“My First Trip To Harpers Ferry KOA”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

This park is a great place to camp and the staff was wonderful to be around all weekend we even stayed another night because we enjoyed our stay so much. The one thing that would cause we to rate this KOA below others I have stayed at is the Day use people this is the only KOA I have been to that you can pay a small fee and come in for the day even if you don't have someone you know camping there. These day use people were out of control at the pool and they were left unchecked on sunday evening and monday. Things that should recive 5 stars would be the people who work with the kids in the games and craft activity. The maintenance people also seem to be very plesant and right on top of things I had a cable break on my pop-up and my weekend was ruined but they did offer a tempory solution to my problem so it saved my weekend they could not help me fix it due to insurance but they did offer advice that worked great. The Food staff were the best on Sunday night I went to snack bar right before it closed orded 2 pizzas and the girl was very plesent and even brought out on the deck were we were waiting and the pancake breckfeast every day was a real treat Thanks agian for a wonderful stay

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Strasburg, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed Mother's Day weekend. It was a buy one night get one night free weekend. Bad, bad, very bad idea. The place was packed. This is not camping this is living like the Japanese stacked on top of each other. Because we got such a special rate (over $300.00 for a TINY cabin for two nights) many (not most but many) of the personnel treated us as if they were doing us a favor. For $300.00 I could have stayed in a hotel in Charlestown and had money left over to bet on the horses.
We stayed in a cabin that advertises room for four. Not four adults, I promise you! It's sad because we stayed here 10 years ago and had the best time ever but they have packed this place so full of cabins there is no way you can truly relax and enjoy yourself. I couldn't wait to go home Sunday morning!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
North Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Out trip to Harpers Ferry pretty much centered around flatwater tubing. After a night of thunderstorms and folks coming back with safety issues, ALL tubing was cancelled by the local companies. We brought our kids, 10, 11, and 12 and we were not going to buck the safety recommendations of the local facilities. We considered Harpers Ferry National Park for the day instead but it was HOT, real hot. In my family, heat + history = unhappy, whining children. The KOA was WONDERFUL for them They could not get enough of the jumping pillow. We were at the KOA for a Sat and Sun. They woke up Sunday and said " Do you think the jumping pillow is open yet?" They also had great activities scheduled and a nice pool. We, the adults, enjoyed a little bit of wine tasting. We were also pleasantly surprised that our cabin was air conditioned! The KOA sort of saved the day for us. Sunday, we woke up early and hit the national park but the kids would have preferred to hang at the KOA.

On the negative side, the place was packed. I agree with other reviewers that it could be noisy at night. We were fortunate that our direct neighbors were not noisy so it was fine. However, a couple of other sites would have been rough to be sleeping next to. Also, we don't have an RV but those sites looked especially close together.

As an aside, the kids working at the tie-dye and children's activities were very nice and helpful.

Room Tip: All of the cabins have air conditioning.
DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We just got back from a weekend stay at the KOA. The place had a lot of fun amenities for the kids (ours are elementary aged).

HIGHLIGHTS: Free mini-golf, shaded jumping pillow and free pancake breakfast were all big hits.

The kids also enjoyed the plentiful activities all day long -- beads, capture the flag, make your own rockets, etc.

NEGATIVES:

My biggest issue was lack of enforcement of quiet hours. We were on a tent site and had neighbors who were quite loud well past 10pm "quiet hours". At 12:30am, I took a bathroom break and thought I might complain to mgmt, but realized the whole campground was full of people making noise, playing music, etc. into the wee hours. Clearly quiet hours was not going to be enforced, which was disappointing given the prices we paid.

Sites were on the small side and facilities were run down -- cracked paved/gravel roads made scootering a challenge for the kids and it was a fairly long walk to the bathhouse from our site.

All in all we had fun, but I wouldn't return without ear plugs.

baltimore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

My Family and myself stayed the week of the 4th Of July at Harpers Ferry KOA and totally enjoyed ourselves. We camped on a site that was near the pool and game room and was close to everything for our Grand Kids to enjoy .. The staff was most helpful in the beginning of the week as I had a problom with some Equipment. A maintenance man named William C. was very helpful in solving the problom . The trash if left in front of the camper was picked up and taken everytime a staff member went by .. During the week there where plenty of things to do for adults and the kids, Tye Dye shirts , The Civil War Museum and Wine Tasting. Every Morning was FREE pancakes for evryone to enjoy.. On Saturday night there was a Blue Grass Festival held By Patent Pending .. I was over whelmed by the Music Performed and the Music sang .. The Lady who sang had a Beautiful voice .. If you want to go out of the Park the Historic town of Harpers Ferry is near by as we walk thru the town and enjoyed the scenery . There is also Horse racing and slots if you feel Lucky in Charlestown W.Va.. I might mention to across the street ( 340 ) there is a Diner Called Mountain top who serve the Best food . I orderd Meat loaf and was floored by the portion served .. I had dinner for the next night also and prices are good .. I should also mention that River Ryders is also a Blast .. If you want to go out on a Raft in the whitewater or just float down a Lazy Shenandoah River in a tube.. I would like to Thank the Staff at the KOA for making our Vacation FUN .. I highly recommend this Camp Ground and the near by attractions .. I would camp there again !

Easton, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We have stayed at several KOAs and enjoyed them tremendously. This was our first time staying at this location, and it was rather disappointing.

We reserved a deluxe tent site with electric and water. When we arrived and were given the site number, we quickly discovered there were no trees whatsoever. There was a cinder-type pad which made it appear more like camping in a parking lot than camping in nature. Since we use camping hammocks, we requested a different site. Because there were several empty tent sites, we were able to find a non-deluxe site with trees, with the help of a friendly gentleman on a golf cart. He even refunded us the cost differnce between deluxe and non-deluxe sites.

We set up our camp and toured around a bit. The store was well-stocked with reasonable prices, and ice we ordered was delivered to our site extremely quickly. The bouncy pillow was a big hit with the kids, and shaded, which was a welcome relief given the intense heat. We went to the pool which was very overcrowded and surprisingly had a vinyl liner which was in need of repair. The free pancakes in the morning were a big hit and there was ample seating area.

The bathrooms and showers were quite disappointing. The bathroom closest to our site had an L-shaped configuration to the sinks which made them extremely difficult to access if anyone else was there. The showers were co-ed and dirty, with lots of hair and puddles on the floor. I have stayed at other KOAs with much cleaner facilities. There were lines of people waiting to use the showers particularly at night.

The worst part of the trip were the people at the nieghboring sites. We have young children and were dismayed at the large number of raucous college-aged guests with foul language and heavy drinking. Despite the quiet hours set from 10 PM to 8 AM, the loud noise continued until about 1 or 2 AM each night and was quite disruptive to sleep. Car alarms went off on 2 separate occasions and there is also an nearby train and airplane flight path that woke us as well as the friends we traveled with. It made us feel more like we were camping in a DC suburb than in a natural setting.

I will continue to frequent KOAs, as I find them to be a great way to experience camping and the outdoors with our children, but will not be returning to this particular one.

Altoona, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We have been staying at this campground annually since our sons were toddlers. We now visit with them and their families and the facilities and the experience just keep getting better. The staff is very friendly , always willing to help in any way possible and they "get" that visitors are the reason they have jobs. It has been fun over the years watch as this facility has continued to develop into the first rate operation it is today. Lots of fun things on the grounds for kids to keep busy including a heated jr Olympic size swimming pool that is kept pristine by staff. We now stay in cabins( originally pitched a tent) that sleep five and have AC. Our cabin is right against the woods and offers maximum privacy and the opportunity to spot lots of birds, flora and wild life. The grounds are about a 1/2 mile hike through the woods to an area of the Shenandoah river, just before it meets the Potomac. Historic Harpers Ferry offers lots to do and see and nearby Charles Town now sports a casino and race track. This year we enjoyed the US Marine Corps drum and bugle group attached to the Preidents guard for an on the lawn performance in Harpers Ferry that everyone cheering. So no matter where you are in your outdoor experience, there is Ana accommodation that will match your needs.

Room Tip: We stay in cabin K136, which is an end site and against the woods. There is only one cabin near the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Harpers Ferry KOA? Share your experiences!