“Lots for Kids to do” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Harpers Ferry KOA

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harpers Ferry
Harpers Ferry KOA
Save Saved
You added Harpers Ferry KOA to your Saves list
343 Campground Road, Harpers Ferry, WV 25425   |
Gainesville, Virginia
“Lots for Kids to do”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We stayed mid week, in a tent, so it was quiet. It would be miserable if it was full. The sites are right on top of each other. It was $46 for one night. They charged me extra for an additional child, even though I was only one adult. The shower was hot, and there are lots of activities for the kids, so they had fun. The sites are super small and lots of small micro litter around. No grass only rocks, so bring a tarp to lay under your tent, and a table cloth for the overused picnic table. The pancake breakfast is only pancakes. If you want coffee, water, or juice you pay extra (a lot extra). Staff is unfriendly. I bought firewood from a local resident that lives just outside the entrance. He was super nice and the firewood was dry and cheaper than the KOA.

If you go mid week, its probably ok. Also if you just want somewhere easy, and you don't plan to stay long, its convenient. Avoid on busy weekend, and if you want privacy and a "true" camping experience, or have a larger tent, find somewhere else

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Vineland, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed @ this Koa campground August 10 -13 2012.We camp in a popup ,and had no issues.This campground is in a very scenic area i must say,with plenty of trees and good cover.Not your typical Virginia "rv park".With tubing and rafting nearby,the tenters could be loud i would imagine.But that is just a timing issue.The showers were clean and actually bigger than i am used to.The pool was huge ,and free pancakes were offered up for breakfast.Harpers ferry is just minutes away,that alone made this campground in the perfect spot.The staff was friendly and our site was plenty big enough.We will be back next year for some tubing,without question!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Nashville, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

This was quite surprising as normally we have been quite happy with KOAs but not in this one! I have never experienced such a crowded.... they pack them in to make as much $$ as they can... the sites are unlevel... we moved 3 times and then just thought... might as well stay put...it's not going to get any better. Tree roots all over the sites... about broke my toe one evening... almost fell. Quiet time is not enforced ... laughing, drinking, and dogs barking. People walking through your site to go to theirs... no privacy... Bathrooms & showers were very dirty... with that said the campground was packed so it would be hard to keep them clean.
The people working in the office were very polite and tried to help with different sites.
All and all it was a terrible experience and we will not be going back.
If you want a nice quiet campground this one is not even close!

Elkridge, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

We stayed here acuople of years ago and it wasn't to bad. But this year they really screwed up. We got there and wanted to extend our family vacation by one day day and they said no problem. They had to move us from the site we orginally had and ended up putting us on a smaller site. We were barely able to get in and get our slideouts out but I put up with it . On the day before we were supposed to leave , they came to us at 12:30 and told us we were in somebody elses site and we would have to to move or leave. They gave me a choice of a smaller spot next to the rank pond. So insted of packing everything up and moving for one day ,we just packed up and left. Then I had to fiht with them to get a refund for one day and a refund for a golf cart I rented that day . I had it for 5 hours and it sat for 3 hours while we were packing up, and they wanted to charge me 50.00. And to top it off I lost a 260.00 reservation at river riders cause we were busy packing up to leave. Believe me it will be a cold day in ____ before I go back to a K O A

Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights a couple of weekends ago. The campground itself is great. There's tons for the kids to do with a pool, mini-golf, bounce house - but we did not get much sleep either night. People partied and were loud late into the night and one night even until 5am. We tried the phone number and there was no one there. A ranger came around at 10 telling everyone to turn off the music and quiet down, but they only did that for 10 minutes and started the music up again. There's no one available in the middle of the night to take care of any issues.

Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

We, too, were leery of this KOA after we made our reservation and THEN read the reviews here. However, we had a great weekend! And we plan to go back. Didn't have many of the issues that others complained about. All charges were explained when I booked. Bathrooms and pool were clean. And we don't expect luxury when we camp (or any other time, actually).

We arrived late afternoon Friday and checked in with no problem. Our site (#100) was actually quite large, although the sites, in general, are quite close together and cramped. I'm not even sure how a camper would fit in some of them. But again, our site was great. We had to use our leveling blocks, but I don't think we've ever been on a perfectly level site. I do agree with one poster that some of the tent sites would be nearly impossible to pitch a tent on. A bonus for us was that there is a path from the KOA to River Riders, where we were doing a zip line canopy tour on Sunday, and it was literally right across from our site. Very convenient.

We found the bathrooms to be clean and well-maintained. We also had no issues with the showers, and I thought it was great that there were separate shower rooms for each shower. I grew up camping with my parents and brother, and my husband and our kids started camping again in the last year. I've never been to a campground that had private showers. Great feature. Had plenty of hot water, too.

We went to the horse races in Charles Town on Friday night and weren't back until about 11, but it wasn't overly noisy on our end of the campground. We spent all day Saturday at the KOA and thought it was great! My son jumped on the bouncing pillow and rented a four-wheeled bike, we played mini golf (which is a very nice course for a campground), swam in the very clean pool, played chess on the oversized lawn chess board, and toured the civil war museum. There are some cool things in there, even though it's very small, and the curators are very informative and eager to answer questions. The KOA staff we interacted with was friendly and helpful.

There was a group down the way from us that was slightly noisy on Saturday night, left a fire burning when they went to bed (saw it when I made a trip to the bath house at 3:30am), and obnoxious in general, but they weren't loud enough to keep us awake. And there was a different group that had some sort of a moped that various members of the group kept doing laps on from late afternoon until well after dark. All that to say, that I didn't see any quiet hours enforced. I did see a lot of staff patrolling in golf carts. Not sure what they were checking for. Some cars across the way from us seemed to be written up for something... maybe too many cars in a site. I don't know. I thought it was nice that staff drove around on a golf cart periodically with fire wood and ice for sale. Not that it was that hard to walk up to the store for it, but it was a convenience.

We walked around the campground and looked a sites that we would like to try in the future and made note of sites we definitely do not want to stay in. I think the $20 fee to pick and guarantee a specific site would be worth it at this KOA because of the undesirability of several of the sites due to location, proximity to other sites, or size.

Oh, and the free pancakes for breakfast! Definite perk! We took advantage of this on Sunday morning. Since it was Chocolate Mania weekend (all activities were around a chocolate theme), you could get free chocolate chips in/on them. Yum! Only downside to the pancakes is the abundance of bees attracted by the syrup containers. Nothing that can be done about that.

Overall, our experience was positive, and we had a great weekend! We will definitely be back!

Taylors, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Just returned from camping a week at Harpers Ferry KOA. We will never camp there again. The sites are so tight it was almost impossible to get in and out. We have a 29 foot 5th wheel. First of all we had all sorts of "extra" charges and given very poor explanations for them, but we were stuck because of our reservations.
We found the sites in and around us dirty. Dogs are allowed to bathroom any where and therefore dog feces is all over the place. The pool is large but water was not clean, very murky, and the pool lining is all wrinkled on the bottom.
The goal is to put as many people and dogs in one place as possible. Children are discouraged from playing at campsites so as not to disturb dogs. However the 10:00 PM quiet hour does not
exist as people can sit around all hours talking and drinking if they like.
If your goal is to leave during the day to see the sights etc., this place might work, but do not make this a camping destination or a place to relax.
We have stayed in KOAs all over the country and this is the first time we have not been pleased with the campground. They are trying to cater to everyone in the public, not to KOA customers.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Harpers Ferry KOA? Share your experiences!