“Crowded and Loud” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Harpers Ferry KOA

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harpers Ferry
Harpers Ferry KOA
343 Campground Road, Harpers Ferry, WV 25425   |
Nashville, Indiana
“Crowded and Loud”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

This was quite surprising as normally we have been quite happy with KOAs but not in this one! I have never experienced such a crowded.... they pack them in to make as much $$ as they can... the sites are unlevel... we moved 3 times and then just thought... might as well stay put...it's not going to get any better. Tree roots all over the sites... about broke my toe one evening... almost fell. Quiet time is not enforced ... laughing, drinking, and dogs barking. People walking through your site to go to theirs... no privacy... Bathrooms & showers were very dirty... with that said the campground was packed so it would be hard to keep them clean.
The people working in the office were very polite and tried to help with different sites.
All and all it was a terrible experience and we will not be going back.
If you want a nice quiet campground this one is not even close!

94 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Elkridge, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

We stayed here acuople of years ago and it wasn't to bad. But this year they really screwed up. We got there and wanted to extend our family vacation by one day day and they said no problem. They had to move us from the site we orginally had and ended up putting us on a smaller site. We were barely able to get in and get our slideouts out but I put up with it . On the day before we were supposed to leave , they came to us at 12:30 and told us we were in somebody elses site and we would have to to move or leave. They gave me a choice of a smaller spot next to the rank pond. So insted of packing everything up and moving for one day ,we just packed up and left. Then I had to fiht with them to get a refund for one day and a refund for a golf cart I rented that day . I had it for 5 hours and it sat for 3 hours while we were packing up, and they wanted to charge me 50.00. And to top it off I lost a 260.00 reservation at river riders cause we were busy packing up to leave. Believe me it will be a cold day in ____ before I go back to a K O A

Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights a couple of weekends ago. The campground itself is great. There's tons for the kids to do with a pool, mini-golf, bounce house - but we did not get much sleep either night. People partied and were loud late into the night and one night even until 5am. We tried the phone number and there was no one there. A ranger came around at 10 telling everyone to turn off the music and quiet down, but they only did that for 10 minutes and started the music up again. There's no one available in the middle of the night to take care of any issues.

Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

We, too, were leery of this KOA after we made our reservation and THEN read the reviews here. However, we had a great weekend! And we plan to go back. Didn't have many of the issues that others complained about. All charges were explained when I booked. Bathrooms and pool were clean. And we don't expect luxury when we camp (or any other time, actually).

We arrived late afternoon Friday and checked in with no problem. Our site (#100) was actually quite large, although the sites, in general, are quite close together and cramped. I'm not even sure how a camper would fit in some of them. But again, our site was great. We had to use our leveling blocks, but I don't think we've ever been on a perfectly level site. I do agree with one poster that some of the tent sites would be nearly impossible to pitch a tent on. A bonus for us was that there is a path from the KOA to River Riders, where we were doing a zip line canopy tour on Sunday, and it was literally right across from our site. Very convenient.

We found the bathrooms to be clean and well-maintained. We also had no issues with the showers, and I thought it was great that there were separate shower rooms for each shower. I grew up camping with my parents and brother, and my husband and our kids started camping again in the last year. I've never been to a campground that had private showers. Great feature. Had plenty of hot water, too.

We went to the horse races in Charles Town on Friday night and weren't back until about 11, but it wasn't overly noisy on our end of the campground. We spent all day Saturday at the KOA and thought it was great! My son jumped on the bouncing pillow and rented a four-wheeled bike, we played mini golf (which is a very nice course for a campground), swam in the very clean pool, played chess on the oversized lawn chess board, and toured the civil war museum. There are some cool things in there, even though it's very small, and the curators are very informative and eager to answer questions. The KOA staff we interacted with was friendly and helpful.

There was a group down the way from us that was slightly noisy on Saturday night, left a fire burning when they went to bed (saw it when I made a trip to the bath house at 3:30am), and obnoxious in general, but they weren't loud enough to keep us awake. And there was a different group that had some sort of a moped that various members of the group kept doing laps on from late afternoon until well after dark. All that to say, that I didn't see any quiet hours enforced. I did see a lot of staff patrolling in golf carts. Not sure what they were checking for. Some cars across the way from us seemed to be written up for something... maybe too many cars in a site. I don't know. I thought it was nice that staff drove around on a golf cart periodically with fire wood and ice for sale. Not that it was that hard to walk up to the store for it, but it was a convenience.

We walked around the campground and looked a sites that we would like to try in the future and made note of sites we definitely do not want to stay in. I think the $20 fee to pick and guarantee a specific site would be worth it at this KOA because of the undesirability of several of the sites due to location, proximity to other sites, or size.

Oh, and the free pancakes for breakfast! Definite perk! We took advantage of this on Sunday morning. Since it was Chocolate Mania weekend (all activities were around a chocolate theme), you could get free chocolate chips in/on them. Yum! Only downside to the pancakes is the abundance of bees attracted by the syrup containers. Nothing that can be done about that.

Overall, our experience was positive, and we had a great weekend! We will definitely be back!

Taylors, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Just returned from camping a week at Harpers Ferry KOA. We will never camp there again. The sites are so tight it was almost impossible to get in and out. We have a 29 foot 5th wheel. First of all we had all sorts of "extra" charges and given very poor explanations for them, but we were stuck because of our reservations.
We found the sites in and around us dirty. Dogs are allowed to bathroom any where and therefore dog feces is all over the place. The pool is large but water was not clean, very murky, and the pool lining is all wrinkled on the bottom.
The goal is to put as many people and dogs in one place as possible. Children are discouraged from playing at campsites so as not to disturb dogs. However the 10:00 PM quiet hour does not
exist as people can sit around all hours talking and drinking if they like.
If your goal is to leave during the day to see the sights etc., this place might work, but do not make this a camping destination or a place to relax.
We have stayed in KOAs all over the country and this is the first time we have not been pleased with the campground. They are trying to cater to everyone in the public, not to KOA customers.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Waterford, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

I've been going to this KOA for several years. My first visit this year was horrible. The campground is under new management - very inexperienced management. Customer service is near to non-existent, except for the constant policing of the sites and informing campers of infractions of policies. The new manager, as well as some of the employees are rude.

I spoke with several people during my stay, some first time and some repeat. All were very disatisfied with the campground management. One couple who parks their trailer there year round informed me that they were looking for a new site, because of the management.

The employees are also not pleased with the new management. When an employee will confied in campers their opinion of the new manager, that is not a good sign. Several employees told me that their resume was being circulated.

During my stay, I even contacted the KOA headquarters.

One of the nights that I was there, the security alarm went off at the store. It was an hour before anyone arrived to see what was going on. This did not instill a sense of security.

I would not recommend this campground!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

I would have to admit that after making my reservation and then reading the reviews, I was nervous but our stay was very nice. There were allot of activities scheduled for the week end that are not listed on the web site, so that was a plus. The staff was very friendly and polite. The bathrooms need cleaning more often and need some renovations but not bad, I have seen worse. Sites in the deluxe section are close with few trees. The wooded section looked nice but once again a little close.

Room Tip: Do not pick anything near the pool area.