“Don't expect to get much sleep” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Harpers Ferry KOA

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harpers Ferry
Harpers Ferry KOA
You added Harpers Ferry KOA to your Saves list
343 Campground Road, Harpers Ferry, WV 25425   |
Baltimore, Maryland
“Don't expect to get much sleep”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights a couple of weekends ago. The campground itself is great. There's tons for the kids to do with a pool, mini-golf, bounce house - but we did not get much sleep either night. People partied and were loud late into the night and one night even until 5am. We tried the phone number and there was no one there. A ranger came around at 10 telling everyone to turn off the music and quiet down, but they only did that for 10 minutes and started the music up again. There's no one available in the middle of the night to take care of any issues.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

We, too, were leery of this KOA after we made our reservation and THEN read the reviews here. However, we had a great weekend! And we plan to go back. Didn't have many of the issues that others complained about. All charges were explained when I booked. Bathrooms and pool were clean. And we don't expect luxury when we camp (or any other time, actually).

We arrived late afternoon Friday and checked in with no problem. Our site (#100) was actually quite large, although the sites, in general, are quite close together and cramped. I'm not even sure how a camper would fit in some of them. But again, our site was great. We had to use our leveling blocks, but I don't think we've ever been on a perfectly level site. I do agree with one poster that some of the tent sites would be nearly impossible to pitch a tent on. A bonus for us was that there is a path from the KOA to River Riders, where we were doing a zip line canopy tour on Sunday, and it was literally right across from our site. Very convenient.

We found the bathrooms to be clean and well-maintained. We also had no issues with the showers, and I thought it was great that there were separate shower rooms for each shower. I grew up camping with my parents and brother, and my husband and our kids started camping again in the last year. I've never been to a campground that had private showers. Great feature. Had plenty of hot water, too.

We went to the horse races in Charles Town on Friday night and weren't back until about 11, but it wasn't overly noisy on our end of the campground. We spent all day Saturday at the KOA and thought it was great! My son jumped on the bouncing pillow and rented a four-wheeled bike, we played mini golf (which is a very nice course for a campground), swam in the very clean pool, played chess on the oversized lawn chess board, and toured the civil war museum. There are some cool things in there, even though it's very small, and the curators are very informative and eager to answer questions. The KOA staff we interacted with was friendly and helpful.

There was a group down the way from us that was slightly noisy on Saturday night, left a fire burning when they went to bed (saw it when I made a trip to the bath house at 3:30am), and obnoxious in general, but they weren't loud enough to keep us awake. And there was a different group that had some sort of a moped that various members of the group kept doing laps on from late afternoon until well after dark. All that to say, that I didn't see any quiet hours enforced. I did see a lot of staff patrolling in golf carts. Not sure what they were checking for. Some cars across the way from us seemed to be written up for something... maybe too many cars in a site. I don't know. I thought it was nice that staff drove around on a golf cart periodically with fire wood and ice for sale. Not that it was that hard to walk up to the store for it, but it was a convenience.

We walked around the campground and looked a sites that we would like to try in the future and made note of sites we definitely do not want to stay in. I think the $20 fee to pick and guarantee a specific site would be worth it at this KOA because of the undesirability of several of the sites due to location, proximity to other sites, or size.

Oh, and the free pancakes for breakfast! Definite perk! We took advantage of this on Sunday morning. Since it was Chocolate Mania weekend (all activities were around a chocolate theme), you could get free chocolate chips in/on them. Yum! Only downside to the pancakes is the abundance of bees attracted by the syrup containers. Nothing that can be done about that.

Overall, our experience was positive, and we had a great weekend! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Taylors, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Just returned from camping a week at Harpers Ferry KOA. We will never camp there again. The sites are so tight it was almost impossible to get in and out. We have a 29 foot 5th wheel. First of all we had all sorts of "extra" charges and given very poor explanations for them, but we were stuck because of our reservations.
We found the sites in and around us dirty. Dogs are allowed to bathroom any where and therefore dog feces is all over the place. The pool is large but water was not clean, very murky, and the pool lining is all wrinkled on the bottom.
The goal is to put as many people and dogs in one place as possible. Children are discouraged from playing at campsites so as not to disturb dogs. However the 10:00 PM quiet hour does not
exist as people can sit around all hours talking and drinking if they like.
If your goal is to leave during the day to see the sights etc., this place might work, but do not make this a camping destination or a place to relax.
We have stayed in KOAs all over the country and this is the first time we have not been pleased with the campground. They are trying to cater to everyone in the public, not to KOA customers.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Waterford, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

I've been going to this KOA for several years. My first visit this year was horrible. The campground is under new management - very inexperienced management. Customer service is near to non-existent, except for the constant policing of the sites and informing campers of infractions of policies. The new manager, as well as some of the employees are rude.

I spoke with several people during my stay, some first time and some repeat. All were very disatisfied with the campground management. One couple who parks their trailer there year round informed me that they were looking for a new site, because of the management.

The employees are also not pleased with the new management. When an employee will confied in campers their opinion of the new manager, that is not a good sign. Several employees told me that their resume was being circulated.

During my stay, I even contacted the KOA headquarters.

One of the nights that I was there, the security alarm went off at the store. It was an hour before anyone arrived to see what was going on. This did not instill a sense of security.

I would not recommend this campground!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

I would have to admit that after making my reservation and then reading the reviews, I was nervous but our stay was very nice. There were allot of activities scheduled for the week end that are not listed on the web site, so that was a plus. The staff was very friendly and polite. The bathrooms need cleaning more often and need some renovations but not bad, I have seen worse. Sites in the deluxe section are close with few trees. The wooded section looked nice but once again a little close.

Room Tip: Do not pick anything near the pool area.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Bel Air, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

I must admit that we're picky when it comes to campgrounds, especially when it comes to cleanliness. With that being said, here are my pros and cons of this place.
Pros:
1. Clean, large swimming pool - really liked the hours (10 a.m. - 10 p.m.)
2. Lots of activities for kids
3. Our daughter (age 12) enjoyed the jumping pillow
4. Bike, cart, and golf cart rentals. We rented a four person cart and was worn out after 20 minutes--the campground is a bit hilly for this type of rental.
Cons:
This campground has such potential; however, they need to invest a lot of money into improvements.
1. The bathrooms are NASTY! There are restrooms behind the office and then another set nearby. They are pretty filthy. They need to keep them cleaned more than one a day--like check on them every few hours. With the volume of traffic in and out of them, they really failed to maintain and keep them clean. They're very old and in major need of renovations. Several private showers that I tried didn't even have hot water--so I had to keep searching for one that did.
2. These campground is way too crowded and the sites are very small. The RV sites were pretty much one on top of another. People had very little room to even sit around the campfire. Lucky for us, we tented and had a level, wooded, large tent site (# 188). This was a point of redemption for us. We requested a large, wooded site and they did honor that.
3. This place was very crowded this weekend and they do nothing to maintain the quiet hours. Well into midnight, there was yelling constantly going on. Be prepared for noise during quiet hours!
4. Many of the sites need to be leveled out. Behind us were tent sites that were on a hill and it would have been very difficult to pitch a tent on it.
5. I thought over $3.50 for a very small bag of ice was a bit costly in the campground store.
6. They need a field for kids to play (i.e., throw baseballs, etc.) I saw a father/son playing catch in the parking lot in front of the office. They should have a field for this.
Given our experience, we would definitely not return. Should they have some major renovations done to the bathroom and start policing the noise after quiet hours, we would consider. Until that happens, no thanks.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Stafford, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

We camped here four our spring break with four other families. We stayed in a Kamping Lodge, while the other families stayed in campers. There were a lot of things for the kids to do and everything was located close to our sites. Unfortunately the sites are very close together, so we felt like we were on top of each other. There was not enough room for all of us to sit around the campfire between the sites! Our view consisted of looking at the back of a large metal building. It seemed that there was always a KOA staff member driving by on a noisy golf cart or Gator. Even though the pool was closed, it looked very dirty and unappealing. If they aren't going to maintain it, then cover it up. One positive was the dog park. It was nice to be able to take our dogs there to run around unleashed. We still managed to have a good time despite the facilities - because we were able to spend time with friends. The cost was too high- and the sites were too close. Harper's Ferry is a beautiful town and the campground was close to the historic area, but next time we will make other arrangements.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Harpers Ferry KOA? Share your experiences!