“Great find” 4 of 5 stars

Description: Find reviews on Yelp
columbia MD
“Great find”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

Looking for a bite to eat while shoping in harpers ferry came across a quaint little garden with outdoor seating at the Coach House Grill... Menu has a wide variety and i had the best crab quiche and spinach salad... my friend had the homemade hummus which was excellent... will definatley eat there again next time we return to Harpers Ferry...

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

USA
“Possibly the worst food I've ever had!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

I start by saying I am quite exigent when it comes to food and if I pay a certain price for a sandwich I expect it to be good, however seeing we were in a tourists trap location I would have accepted for it to be ‘OK’.
Here you get neither; the only good thing about this place is the garden, which looks lovely even in November. That’s where we should have stayed, admiring the garden for a few minutes and then walk away! Instead we ventured in, as soon as we got in I had a feeling we made a mistake. The place looks dirty, not shabby, plain simple dirty! It feels like everything is coated in grease.
We ordered a cup of soup (it was chicken the day we visited), a crab quiche ($12) and a “Ultimate Grilled Cheese” sandwich ($10). I told my husband I went for the safest option on the menu (grilled cheese sandwich) as nobody can make a bad grilled cheese sandwich! It turns out that it’s indeed it’s possible and The Coach House succeeded in making the worst Grilled Cheese sandwich! Talking about under delivering..two thick slices of toasted bread (nothing wrong with the bread except the ratio to filling) with the thinnest slice of cheese (the cheap kind they slice with a machine at the supermarket) not even fully melted, a slice of an anemic tomato (the cheapest one you can buy at the market, not the vine ripen as the menu said) and some strips of roasted pepper (again, the cheap slimy kind coming out of a can or a jar)…in a word disgusting! With it came some undressed shredded lattice with some kind of pilaf rice.
My husband, who unlike me if happy to eat pretty much anything, had the soup (I did not try it as it did not look appetizing) and he said it wasn’t very good. He then had the quiche which comes with a spinach and mandarin salad (the mandarin was a substitute for the strawberries as they run out, so they opened a can a throw a few mandarin segments in there). Halfway through it he swapped it for my sandwich since I did not like it, he said “this is a little better, but don’t eat the crust as it’s burned”. Seriously??
The worst meal we ever had turned out to cost $30 (a cup of soup, a quiche and a sandwich, no drinks). Just ridiculous!! Next time I’ll bring two excellent sandwiches from Whole Foods (excellent ingredients and half of the price!!) and will not give this people my money. They do not deserve it!

• Visited November 2011