“Perfect Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Teahorse B&B / Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harpers Ferry
Teahorse B&B / Hostel
You added Teahorse B&B / Hostel to your Saves list
1312 W. Washington St., Harpers Ferry, WV 25425   |
Ranked #7 of 10 Harpers Ferry B&B and Inns
beachwood, ohio
“Perfect Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

For those of you who have not hosteled before this wuold be a great introduction-but be warned that this will also be one of the best. Laurel has it down. A veteran traveler herself she has taken her learned experiences form her trips and brought back the best into this warm, friendly, squeaky clean hostel. Hot showers (x2) comfortable beds, warm rooms, locked bike storage and did I mention it is all REALLY clean? When we were there Laurel offered to drive us out to a dinner stop as we had just finished a leg of the C&O and were pretty beat. We didn't take her up on this as there is a quality restaurant right next door and a decent Italian place within walking. But the offer was genuine and appreciated. The waffle and fruit breakfast, hot coffee and ice cream in the fridge were all well done. Laurel truly loves this business and enjoys talking with the quests and making everyone welcome. Great stay!

Room Tip: there are two rooms, one larger and with more beds than the other, but both are quiet and peaceful.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Teahorse_Hostel, Owner at Teahorse B&B / Hostel, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you for writing about your experience at the Teahorse! It was a delight to have "the Brothers" at my hostel and be part of the memory you were making for your bike trip. Come again!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Orlando, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I won't be able to say in this short space how much my wife and I appreciated all of Laurel's help during our stay at the Teahorse Hostel. We stayed two nights before our planned hike of the Maryland portion of the AT. On our 3rd day, Laurel shuttled us up to Pen Mar and we had arranged to have her swap out a bag with us on our 2nd night on the trail. Unfortunately, my wife became ill on the second day, and we had to have Laurel change her schedule to meet us at a different location. She then arranged for us to have our own room so we wouldn't share our gift with the other guests. She even drove us to the train station the next day instead of us walking to 1.2 miles. We will be coming back to finish the Maryland AT and will definitely stay at the Teahorse again. It is extremely clean and cozy. The waffles are awesome. Thanks for everything, Laurel!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing. I enjoyed meeting you and your wife and glad I could help . I remember you well, especially the conversations about your international travels!
Ellicott City Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

This was my second time to spend the night at the Teahorse Hostel in Harpers Ferry. and I don't think I would ever want to stay any place else. On both visits I enjoyed the company of the other guests. This hostel is just so clean and friendly and the waffel breakfast is such a lovely touch. A very relaxing atmosphere. I sincerely look forward to my next visit. Thank you so much Laurel and Margaret.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Teahorse_Hostel, Owner at Teahorse B&B / Hostel, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
You have pinpointed the main reason that people choose a hostel for their lodging - they like to meet other interesting people and find community. I'm glad you came back - come again!
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I stayed at the Teahorse B&B/Hostel for three nights, July 23 -25 2012. This is a wonderful lodging in any price range, and I have been fortunate to travel much of the world and stay in a wide variety of accomodations. The Teahorse is incredibly clean, comfortable,
hospitable, and includes a solid breakfast of waffles, fruit, juice and coffee to start each morning. Each bunk in the bunk rooms comes with clean towels and sheets, so travelers do not have to provide their own linen or sleeping bags. The location is very quiet and I slept wonderfully in the main bunk room. Off street parking is provided behind the Teahorse. The location is excellent; you can walk to the historic downtown in 10 minutes, or easily drive or walk out to the National Park Visitors Center. The owner, Laurel, goes out of her way to make her guests comfortable and to help out with information and rides to the train/bus station. Central air conditioning was most welcome during the July heat. The "common room" is a welcoming place on an evening for conversation, reading, or a game of chess. I meet engaging people here from Israel, Texas, and Tennessee. Not all guests I met were thru hikers on the Appalachian trail. Being of a certain age I was on a "history tour" of the region. The adjacent Anvil restaurant offers good food at good prices for lunch and dinner. There are many terrific things to see and do in and around Harpers Ferry, and I think the Teahorse is a wonderful place to stay while in the area. I would return in a New York minute.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Teahorse_Hostel, Owner at Teahorse B&B / Hostel, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Thank you for your feedback! I am glad we were able to make your stay comfortable and happy for you. Harpers Ferry and the Teahorse will welcome you on your next visit!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

For $28, you get a bunk bed plus a waffle breakfast with coffee, orange juice and a banana. The hostess, Laurel, is an angel. A transplant from Memphis, she has taught English in China, and ESL here. She even gave me a ride to the train station. Laurel has just bought a guitar, so it's hanging in the common area, waiting to be played for the first time.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Teahorse_Hostel, Owner at Teahorse B&B / Hostel, responded to this review, April 3, 2012
Thank you very much for writing. It's always good to get feedback on what we offer. Hope you will come again - the guitar has been played several times by now - it's always fun to hear a mini-concert!
Ellicott City Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

I stayed here two nights to enjoy the Old Tyme Christmas weekend in Dec. and I am so very glad I did. This was such a pleasant experience from beginning to end. The owner is Laurel and her hostel is very,very clean. A very well stocked kitchen.Each morning Laurel makes great waffels, fruit, very good coffee and comversation. .The 1st night there were 3 other guests whom I enjoyed, 2nd night I was alone. I had my car(parking in yard) but Laurel will drive you.The rates seemed ok,I am new to hosteling so I don't know. I just know that as a woman traveling alone I felt safe and comfortable at the Teahorse Hostel. Not one single thing to complain about,.I had a great time and will be happy to visit again. Thank you Laurel for making me feel welcome.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Teahorse_Hostel, Owner at Teahorse B&B / Hostel, responded to this review, February 8, 2012
I enjoyed those conversations too! Glad that you enjoyed your stay - come again! -- Laurel
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

This was actually my first hostel experience and I was very pleased. The rooms were on the 2nd floor--one side for women, one side for men with a common kitchen and living room. The rooms and bathroom were very clean. The men had their own bathroom and the women's bathroom was just outside the door of the women's room. Laurel was very accommodating with our breakfast hours and we loved the waffles in the morning. We passed the time in the evening playing banagrams with the scrabble game that was on the shelf. The bikes were safe in the locked shed behind the house. Laurel offered a free shuttle to pick us up from the C&O canal trail. We figured it wasn't too far and we said we'd get there on our own---that was our mistake. Definitely take the shuttle. It's about a mile uphill to the hostel. There are a couple of restaurants near the hostel. Anyway, it was great. Highly recommended. We enjoyed chatting with the other travelers during breakfast.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Teahorse_Hostel, Owner at Teahorse B&B / Hostel, responded to this review, November 14, 2011
I am so happy that you were pleased with your experience at Teahorse B&B / Hostel. Breakfast is also my favorite time listening to the lively conversation between the guests who are hikers on the Appalachian Trail and guests who are bicyclists on the C&O Towpath. Thanks for writing!

Been to Teahorse B&B / Hostel? Share your experiences!