“very earnest, somewhat interesting” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Mysterious Sites
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: We at the Haunted Cottage believe that we have at least a 90% satisfactory success with our visitors. Unfortunately there are people who: 1. Think this something else like a haunted ride or Paranormal TV show fan site. 2. Came to make fun of and criticize us and our other guests. 3. Are very skeptical and were dragged here by their other half. 4. Found one thing wrong and let that be the whole basis for them not having a good time. Regrettably, the 10% have the animosity, hate and bad attitude to write a review more than the "normal" 90% of our guests who have lives. Some of the negative reviews are also from people who came drunk or high. Others felt we didn't cater enough to "just them". We remember all of the people who ever said anything negative because they were unruly or oddly disinterested when everyone was having a blast. So, please, keep an open mind. Come and have fun. Harpers Ferry's most haunted house is also America's premiere paranormal research and training facility! Historical ghost tours available. Real paranormal investigative training. The best resources you are likely to find anywhere! We offer tours of the haunted Booth House, overnight investigations and classes on the paranormal. We have, as of August 2011, a new Exhibition of the Supernatural! Although ghosts and hauntings are always out main focus, the Supernatural Exhibit will offer something for everyone with a taste for the paranormal!
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator
Rochester, New York
11 attraction reviews
“very earnest, somewhat interesting”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

I think I expected more exhibits and artifacts, but pretty much it was just books and gaffs and ghost stories... It was fun, though, and the proprietor gave me a special one-person tour and conversation because we were unable to get there during normal business hours. He was impressed by my broad knowledge of the paranormal and cryptozoology, though I did not tell him that I am a raging skeptic. It was neat, and he gave me a meter and let me do a bit of solo ghost hunting (spoiler: the barber chair is haunted!!).

Visited January 2014

Falls Church, Virginia
“Grand tour, workshop, and ghost hunt”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

This was not what I expected, was not very good, but had some entertainment value. I hoped this would focus on the history of the cottage and the ghosts that may inhabit the cottage. I also expected the cottage to be an uninhabited, nicely preserved historical landmark. Instead, the host of the tour/workshop and his wife live in the cottage. The cottage is rather cluttered and is kind of dirty as one could expect from a rental property. The host, Vince, seems to be very knowledgeably in the realm of supernatural phenomena, but tends to ramble, lose his train of thought, and comes off (to me) as rather egotistical and condescending.

The tour consisted of an initial lecture about ghosts and the super natural (approx. 45 mins), the oddities room (approx. 30 mins), a pendulum "ouija type" activity & "table tipping" (approx. 30 mins), library tour (approx. 15 mins), and back to the main room for a seance (approx 30 mins). Total of 2.5 hours, which was about an hour too long.

The lecture was about ghosts in general and very little was mentioned about the house's history. The oddities room was basically a PT Barnum type display that consisted of, among other things, a shrunken head, chupa cabra fetus, vampire skelaton, Sasquatch footprint plaster cast. It was silly and had nothing to do with the history of the cottage or ghosts. The pendulum and table tipping to attempt to conjure the ghosts of the house was uneventful. The library was basically: here's my room of books, I have a lot of them, it's pretty sweet. For the "climactic" seance, we were given the option of contacting 5 different ghosts, none of which had anything to do with the house, Harpers Ferry, or the civil war. It was done in complete darkness . The ghost came and flipped a tambourine over that was on the table. According to VInce, complete darkness was "necessary" and he "didn't like it". However, the previous activities to contact the ghosts of the house were done in the light. The ghost hunting activities seemed like parlor tricks.

Overall, the event was unprofessional, uneventful, and not very interesting. There was a little bit of entertainment value, and if it were shorter, I would feel better about going, but I feel like I wasted a lot of time. I would not recommend it.

Visited November 2013
Hedgesville, West Virginia
“A fun evening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

My husband and I visited the Haunted Cottage on a Friday evening for the tour and séance, our group was rather large at 10 of us, but we had a great time. Vince was patient and informative, we were never rushed. It was very entertaining, I would be curious enough to try the overnight investigation.

Visited August 2013
Westfield, Massachusetts
“A Great Historic Haunt! Not just a Ghost Hunt!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

My party experienced the overnight investigation. Our host, Vince Wilson, is an authority in the field of paranormal research. His lecture alone was worth the cost of the stay. The investigation was fantastic. The building and grounds have a great deal to offer. The history that building has seen is unbelievable. Vince shared many stories about occurrences that have happened in the house and on or about the property. I look forward to returning in the future.

Haunted? Perhaps. Worth the money? NO DOUBT!

Visited April 2013
Annandale, Virginia
“Obernight Investigation: a great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Vince was a good host. He is full of knowledge about the house and was ready to show us his trade. I plan to go back again. :-)

Visited April 2013