“Grand tour, workshop, and ghost hunt” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Type: Mysterious Sites, Landmarks
More attraction details
Owner description: The Haunted Cottage is regretfully out of business. Due in no small part to our ability to promote and advertise ourselves being maliciously hindered, we felt it was time to move on.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator
Falls Church, Virginia
“Grand tour, workshop, and ghost hunt”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

This was not what I expected, was not very good, but had some entertainment value. I hoped this would focus on the history of the cottage and the ghosts that may inhabit the cottage. I also expected the cottage to be an uninhabited, nicely preserved historical landmark. Instead, the host of the tour/workshop and his wife live in the cottage. The cottage is rather cluttered and is kind of dirty as one could expect from a rental property. The host, Vince, seems to be very knowledgeably in the realm of supernatural phenomena, but tends to ramble, lose his train of thought, and comes off (to me) as rather egotistical and condescending.

The tour consisted of an initial lecture about ghosts and the super natural (approx. 45 mins), the oddities room (approx. 30 mins), a pendulum "ouija type" activity & "table tipping" (approx. 30 mins), library tour (approx. 15 mins), and back to the main room for a seance (approx 30 mins). Total of 2.5 hours, which was about an hour too long.

The lecture was about ghosts in general and very little was mentioned about the house's history. The oddities room was basically a PT Barnum type display that consisted of, among other things, a shrunken head, chupa cabra fetus, vampire skelaton, Sasquatch footprint plaster cast. It was silly and had nothing to do with the history of the cottage or ghosts. The pendulum and table tipping to attempt to conjure the ghosts of the house was uneventful. The library was basically: here's my room of books, I have a lot of them, it's pretty sweet. For the "climactic" seance, we were given the option of contacting 5 different ghosts, none of which had anything to do with the house, Harpers Ferry, or the civil war. It was done in complete darkness . The ghost came and flipped a tambourine over that was on the table. According to VInce, complete darkness was "necessary" and he "didn't like it". However, the previous activities to contact the ghosts of the house were done in the light. The ghost hunting activities seemed like parlor tricks.

Overall, the event was unprofessional, uneventful, and not very interesting. There was a little bit of entertainment value, and if it were shorter, I would feel better about going, but I feel like I wasted a lot of time. I would not recommend it.

Visited November 2013

Hedgesville, West Virginia
“A fun evening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

My husband and I visited the Haunted Cottage on a Friday evening for the tour and séance, our group was rather large at 10 of us, but we had a great time. Vince was patient and informative, we were never rushed. It was very entertaining, I would be curious enough to try the overnight investigation.

Visited August 2013
Westfield, Massachusetts
“A Great Historic Haunt! Not just a Ghost Hunt!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

My party experienced the overnight investigation. Our host, Vince Wilson, is an authority in the field of paranormal research. His lecture alone was worth the cost of the stay. The investigation was fantastic. The building and grounds have a great deal to offer. The history that building has seen is unbelievable. Vince shared many stories about occurrences that have happened in the house and on or about the property. I look forward to returning in the future.

Haunted? Perhaps. Worth the money? NO DOUBT!

Visited April 2013
Annandale, Virginia
“Obernight Investigation: a great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Vince was a good host. He is full of knowledge about the house and was ready to show us his trade. I plan to go back again. :-)

Visited April 2013
Frederick, Maryland
“Do NOT waste your time and money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

The Haunted Cottage is a waste of money and poor management. Do NOT waste your time or money. No meal provided. Offered another night if we wanted to come back. The acting is so poor it isn't worth the trip back.

Visited May 2012