“Review of overnight experience” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Type: Mysterious Sites, Landmarks
More attraction details
Owner description: The Haunted Cottage is regretfully out of business. Due in no small part to our ability to promote and advertise ourselves being maliciously hindered, we felt it was time to move on.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator
Alexandria, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
“Review of overnight experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This review is for the overnight experience and the cottage host Vince.

Let me start by saying Vince really worked with me on a group tour I wanted to plan with some freinds on short notice. So I appreciated that very much. Any doubt I had about certain things, he tried expelling over the phone with me, which helped me understand the nature and intensions of the host and experience.

As for the overnight, I didn't know what to expect, but was thinking the whole thing was going to freak me out. Not the case. Although I do wish there was more spook to be had, I am even more satisfied that I didn't bring anything back home with me, that is for sure.

So here's what to expect:
A very knowlegeable host with years of experience in the realm of all things paranormal. He definitely knows what he is talking about.
This is as much of an educational experience as well as a dabble in what paranormal researchers, hypnotists, practitioners of seances, and other - other worldy seekers do. I definitely enjoyed everything I learned in the educational process.
Don't expect an all nighter in the woods or creepy basements in the dark, waiting to find something scary. There is a time in the tour where you will be given equipment to venture off into the house and see if you can find anything paranormal. Maybe you will, maybe you won't. Depending on what you do with that time, you could end up spooking yourself like you thought you'd be.
You get to learn the history of the house, hear what others have experienced in the house you're in to date. Do a mock seance if you want, do an experiment connecting items to people from the past, a crystal pendulum experiment, a hypnotism and even some comic relief in the "Monster Room".
It's a long tour and for your sake, try to make it to the end, because in the final hours comes the most entertaining parts, my favorite being the hypnotism which worked beyond what I was expecting and made for one of the best experiences I've ever had. If you've seen it on t.v., if you believe it's real or not, nothing compares to watching it happen to someone you know and nothing validates it more so, than someone you trust. I was grinning for days and didn't sleep that night because of it. Make sure you have a camera ready to record what goes down.

So go prepared for a well rounded tour, wanting to learn as well as getting involved.
We plan on going back to finish what we didn't and can't wait.

Visited November 2012

20853
“Go for entertainment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

It was advertised as a ghost hunt but it is just entertainment. As long as you understand this it is fine. A few parlor tricks and some "investigating" on your own.

Visited October 2012
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“had a great time Vince”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

We attended the Nov. 2nd overnight at the Haunted Cottage. Vince was very accomadateing both before the night, as far as information, and during the event.
The evening was fun and informative. We were never bored and learned some interesting things.

Thanks again,
Dave and Maryann

Visited November 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Entertaining”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

You can read all of the other reviews, and I think they are all saying the same thing, despite polar opposite ratings:

"I expect to be entertained!" The Haunted Cottage is entertaining.

Did you expect Dan Aykroid and Harold Ramis? Bill Murray and Rick Moranis? They are not there. However, what is there is cast of ernest amateurs doing a good job educating, engaging,and always entertaining. Isn't that what we paid for?

They put on a fun show, seemed like a really good group of people with whom to spend a Fall evening, and it was a great dress rehearsal for Haloween.

Are there ghosts? Who knows! Who cares!! I had a nice dinner (stick to your ribs chicken stew - yum), and had a few great laughs, interesting challenges, and withnessed what may have been the transportation of one of the guests to a scary place long ago and far away. Or, maybe I didn't - but I could have - and isn't that the point?

Have fun, suspend disbelief, and get into the mood for a good time. If you find this is impossible to do, go see a Twilight movie...

Visited September 2012
Hagerstown, Maryland, United States
“Extremely poor customer svc.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We booked through Groupon. The night my husband & I were scheduled to go they were over booked so one of our reservations got kicked out of the system & only one of was booked to go. We called the owner of the Booth house numerous times both day & night. We always reached an answering machine, never a live person. We left multiple messages & he never returned our calls. We finally arranged a refund through Groupon.

Visited September 2012