“Awful” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Mysterious Sites
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: We at the Haunted Cottage believe that we have at least a 90% satisfactory success with our visitors. Unfortunately there are people who: 1. Think this something else like a haunted ride or Paranormal TV show fan site. 2. Came to make fun of and criticize us and our other guests. 3. Are very skeptical and were dragged here by their other half. 4. Found one thing wrong and let that be the whole basis for them not having a good time. Regrettably, the 10% have the animosity, hate and bad attitude to write a review more than the "normal" 90% of our guests who have lives. Some of the negative reviews are also from people who came drunk or high. Others felt we didn't cater enough to "just them". We remember all of the people who ever said anything negative because they were unruly or oddly disinterested when everyone was having a blast. So, please, keep an open mind. Come and have fun. Harpers Ferry's most haunted house is also America's premiere paranormal research and training facility! Historical ghost tours available. Real paranormal investigative training. The best resources you are likely to find anywhere! We offer tours of the haunted Booth House, overnight investigations and classes on the paranormal. We have, as of August 2011, a new Exhibition of the Supernatural! Although ghosts and hauntings are always out main focus, the Supernatural Exhibit will offer something for everyone with a taste for the paranormal!
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator
Winchester, Virginia
“Awful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

This is the same location as the Haunted Cottege. Do not waste your time or money. It is a waste of both!! Dirt everywhere, smelled like cat urine inside the house.

Visited November 2011
HauntedCottage, Owner at The Haunted Cottage / Booth House, responded to this review, December 12, 2011
The cat's name is Gidget. She is an old cat at 12 years old. She is clean and well groomed. We have removed her from the house due to three complaints in two years from guests with allergies. Most people who visit fall in love with her. I am very understanding since I have allergies too. That is part of the reason I was coughing. Weather changes you know!

We gave this guest free reservations to future events, another free dinner and we asked them to please, please, write me directly, or put a suggestion in the suggestion box. We will improve and listen to your suggestions. That is why we got rid of our beloved pet.. I told this guest that this was only our second dinner as well and there may be a hiccup or two. Obviously their main complaint was around the cat. That is why the house was "dirty". The cellar is full of dirt though! LOL. We asked, "Did everyone have a good time?" "Yes", EVERYONE said. Everyone said our slow cooked catered food was great too!

Winchester, Virginia
“Dirty”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

We have gone on haunted tours before in Gettysburg, Alexandria, and Williamsburg. This tour was a joke. The inside of the house was a mess and smelled like cat urine. The people that run the tour also live in the house. The wife was out on the back deck smoking and while we were out there looking at the huge fallen tree in the back yard, her smoke was blowing in all of our faces. The actual tour was just okay. I would never recommend this to anyone. We felt ripped off when we left. The owner told us not to write a review on tripadvisor. He wanted us to tell him what we didn't like about the tour as soon as it was over. My biggest complaint was that there was dirt, hair, piles of stuff everywhere covering every possible surface. Very disappointed. Don't waste your $$.

Visited November 2011
HauntedCottage, Owner at The Haunted Cottage / Booth House, responded to this review, December 1, 2011
Sigh. This person was the only person who made such a claim. Everyone else said they smelled nothing of the sort after they made several outbursts of smelling cats. YES, in the far end of the property, in a section separate from the tours be 50 feet and 2 inches of stone wall, there is a cat and cat area. This reviewer said nothing at first until she saw the cat traipse by. Then suddenly, "this place smells like cats". A couple there told me that he was also allergic and that a symptom of severe allergies was psychologically demonizing the cause of your allergy. I think this was in play. As far as smoking? The smoker in question was in the designated "smoking section" references earlier for the guests - the back deck. She certainly was not deliberately blowing it people's faces. That's just silly. The dirt? In the 180 year cellar I guess. Look at the pictures and see. We have learned very early on, that this is something that not everyone is going to like and it seems to attract the most "interesting" people.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Actually caught a pic of an ORB!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

I went for the fun of it becasue I enjoy haunting/ghosts. One friend went because she was curious and the other went because she was their once before and had a fun time. We went on the tour and Vince was great. He was honest and shared his stories with us. After the tour we were able to go on a ghost hunt with the emf detector and we also took pictures at random. To our surprise photos showed actual orbs! NO NOT DUST! The obs were a large size and orange. We got so excited that on our way home at 1am we called Vince and we are sending him actual pictures.
Had a wonderful time. Happy to actually catch something. Thank you Vince!
Bridget.

Visited October 2011
Leesburg, Virginia
“kind of entertaining, kind of dissapointing, kind of creepy, but in a bad way”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

We were all preetty excited about going to see a "haunted house". We really just saw an old old house with some people that had died from natural causes and some creepy stuff inside. At least the guide was honest about the house being misnamed. The haloween lecture was entertaining, but really has nothing to do with the tour. The tour upstairs was creepy in a bad way and really had nothing to do with ghosts or a haunted cottage. The celar tour was the most entertaining. The creepy kids bike was the best part, but only because it is an old creepy kids bike. It moved, but only after I kicked it. Once we were done with the lecture and tour, we had a demo of the emf detctors. We had about 15 minutes to walk around and wave the emf detectors through the air. They go off around electrical wiring and light bulbs pretty easily,so of course it goes off all the time. I did turn of the basement light for a few minutes, but we didn't really detect anything. Overall, it was entertaining, but nothing really spectacular. It is right next to a a creepy camp ground, so maybe the campground offers discount tickets.

Visited October 2011
HauntedCottage, Owner at The Haunted Cottage / Booth House, responded to this review, October 16, 2011
We are always disappointed when someone doesn't have a good time. We tell our guests on almost every tour to go to TripAdvisor and let them know if the had a good time. We also have a suggestion box on property now. We genuinely believe that 98% of our customers were pleased with our events, but simply don't have the initiative, for the most part, to write a review.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A Good Time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

We did the over night ghost hunt and there has been a number of bad reviews, but we didn't experience any of the negatives that other people had mentioned. I have little to no knowledge of hauntings or ghost hunters and I came in with an uninterested attitude, but I found the information interesting and the activities fun. The host was nice and gave us a lecture about the paranormal and then explained the equipment involved and why it is used. I liked that he was honest about the difference between real hauntings and what you see on tv. If you expect it to be like ghost hunting tv shows in pitch black, don't bother. He gave us a tour of the house then let us search for ghost. We didn't find anything interesting with the emf dectors, but we did find some interesting sounds on the tape recording; it may have been nothing, but it was fun to listen to the tape.

I thought this place was more rural, which would have made it a lot better, but it was next to a big campground on one side and houses on the other. Not a deal breaker but not what I expected.

Overall this was a fun time out with my friends and informative. I would suggest checking this place out.

Visited September 2011