“What a joke” 1 of 5 stars

+1 304-885-0707
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: The Haunted Cottage is regretfully out of business. Due in no small part to our ability to promote and advertise ourselves being maliciously hindered, we felt it was time to move on.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator
Leesburg, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“What a joke”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

Seriously, steer clear of this joke of a place. Not only is Vince not anywhere near the paranormal "expert" he claims to be, I wouldn't waste my time to visit this "museum" FOR FREE if there was nothing else in Harpers Ferry to do and I was bored to tears. Nothing is there (many promises of "it's coming, it's coming"), and the few things they have are just plain silly -- a fake crystal skull, a silk "mothman" cut-out, the 1967 Bigfoot movie, stuff pertaining to palm reading, a "seance table," etc. Vince, the owner of this "museum" and the "haunted cottage" becomes very vindictive if he receives bad reviews and then begins a barrage of abusive private messages for telling the truth about your experience. I can provide copies for those who have quesitons. Steer clear!!

12 Thank BluePersuasion

Manassas, Virginia
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“interesting, illuminating, fun, and learning”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

I recommend the overnight stay to get the full tour and experience. We learned a lot as Vince was very knowledgable and helpful and gave it his all despite being sick! Recommend staying the week-end in the area and touring through Harper's Ferry's museums and nature walks. Lots of bed and breakfasts in the area. Bring some drinks and snacks for the 1am break! We were able to experience a visit through footsteps, tapping and pulling on a shirt - patience and an open mind are a HUGE help, too!

1 Thank njgalnva
Leesburg, Virginia
“Very interesting, educational, and unique paranormal experience!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

Vince was GREAT. He is very knowledgable, friendly, easy going, and encourages people to ask questions. I did the 8hr overnight tour with him. Coffee and water was provided to stay awake. A 30min break was given about halfway through the tour. There is a 7-11 about a mile away if you want to get some snacks or food during the break.

TIPS - certain parts of the house can get very cold or hot so wear layers.Also wear closed toe shoes because the cellar floor will sometimes be wet from moisture or rain. You will be touring with other people so be prepared to interact with different types of (sometimes even difficult) people.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A Creepy Good Time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

My boyfriend and I purchased two Groupons for the 2-hour tour. Before calling to schedule our tour, we read the website and found all of the detailed information very helpful. We had no problems booking our tour. The tour guide, Vince Wilson, was very informative and very fun (and funny!) We had a very, very good time on the tour and we learned a lot about paranormal research. Both of us being in our late 40's, we appreciated that this tour was not about lies and scare tactics--this tour was about parapsychology, the science and technology used to gather information, and the truth behind "ghost lore". If you are looking to go to a haunted house and be frightened, you should probably go to your local theme park's Haunted House on Halloween. Vince is very upfront and truthful with telling folks that paranormal events, particularly real events, are extremely rare. We went to learn, and learn we did. We had a great time using the EMP devices, we had a blast listening to the interactive lecture, and we enjoyed viewing this adorable (and creepy) 180 year old house. We plan to go back, with teens in tow!

2 Thank Kathy C
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Must-see Spooky fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

This was definitely one of the highlights of my trip to Harpers Ferry. The tourguides/paranormal investigators/homeowners were very hospitable and funny, while at the same time providing very cool paranormal and historical information on the house. At one point during the tour, we found a door that was locked and closed now unlocked and wide open. I saw some "spirit orbs" in a picture I took in the attic. At the end we got to go around the house with EMF readers, and be temporary "ghost hunters"! It was so cool. Even though I live a ways away, I definitely plan to come again!

1 Thank Lizowa