“Whether it's a pilgrimage, or a quick stop, don't miss it!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 10 Activities in Harpers Ferry
Type: Convention Centers, Sports
Activities: Hiking
More attraction details
Owner description: The 'psychological half- way point' on the Appalachaian Trail: rest up, share your adventures, and eat lots of ice cream.
South Jersey
60 attraction reviews
“Whether it's a pilgrimage, or a quick stop, don't miss it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

Whether you're hiking all 2000+ miles of the AT, or just want some insight into one of the world's most famous hiking trails, this is the place to come. From the ATC Headquarters, the care of the entire trail is coordinated.

They have a small, but informative display about the AT, the highlight of which is a large 3D topo map of the entire trail from Maine to Georgia. There is a hiker lounge is the back where you can flip through volumes of people who are trying to hike the whole thing, either all at once, or in pieces. If you backpack in, you even have the option of adding yourself to the book, even if you plan on taking 80 years to do it (hey, that's only 28 miles a year!).

The bookstore/gift shop is top notch - maps and guidebooks for every section of the AT to a plethora of AT Thru-Hiker Memoirs to t-shirts!

The folks that work there are always friendly and helpful. I've seen them take the time out to talk to Boy Scouts (thanks for letting us invade your store), to answer questions about where to go hiking nearby or far away, help iron out a hike plan, or to simply find out where you've been so far and what it was like. It's been a great experience every time I've gone.

Appling, Georgia
“Meeting Our AT Thru-Hikers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Everyone who works here is great! Very friendly and helpful. I especially loved being able to share drinks and snacks with my own thru-hikers and some others who were there!

Visited September 2013
Edgewater, Maryland
15 attraction reviews
“Appalachian Trail Headquarters - very welcoming”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

My husband and I hiked our very first section of the Appalachian Trail in Harpers Ferry and couldn't pass by a visit to the headquarters. We were greeted just as enthusiastically as if we were through hikers! We were offered water, use of their lounge, snacks...very sweet! They have an amazing collection of maps and books...we bought one of the narrow vertical maps of the whole traIl and now have several push pins in it of the sections of the trail we've hiked. The little town of Harpers Ferry is a great combination with several short sections of the AT.

Visited July 2013
wv
55 attraction reviews
“Interesting to visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Stopped in to see info about the Appalachian Trail and there was a lot to see and learn about the trail.They had lots of pictures a shelter like ones on the trail,there was 2 hikers there looking at photos while on there way hiking the whole trail.

7 attraction reviews
“Great Info ad Great Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

As a hiking newbie, I went in there not knowing what to expect: would there be big gruff men who spoke little, but conveyed mountains of meaning in their stony gaze? Or eccentric fellows changed permanently by their time on the trail?

Instead, I found a warm and friendly atmosphere, welcoming even to someone like me who loves asking questions. Gary, a volunteer, gave me great info on what hiking the trail is like, where to visit in town, what books I should check out etc.

In short, I found a wealth of information, and I highly recommend this as a stop if you just want to find out more about this amazing natural treasure.