“KINDEST STAFF WE HAVE EVER MET!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: West Virginia whitewater rafting, tubing, zip line canopy tour, kayaking, canoeing, biking, climbing, team building, and outdoor adventure summer camps in Harpers Ferry and C and O Canal National Parks on the Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers. We are the closest outfitter to the Washington, DC, Baltimore, MD and Northern Virginia metro areas.
Peterborough, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
“KINDEST STAFF WE HAVE EVER MET!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I worked at a summer camp in America and during our mid summer break, a friend and I decided to try ziplining and white water rafting here.
There was a heat warning on the day we began our travels and to get to this place involved walking for 2 hours to the bus stop in 113 degree heat with no water, finding out the local bus doesn't run on a Saturday and hitch-hiking to Washington DC instead, then getting the once a day train to West Virginia. Once we arrived there, we found out that we faced a 10 mile walk to River Riders with a storm rolling in at 8pm. The humidity was intense and we were exhausted from carrying so much stuff, including our tent.

We ended up getting a lift from a Park Ranger but when we arrived, River Riders was shut. We knocked for a member of staff who advised us the campsite was 3 miles away. When we mentioned we didn't have a car, or a phone to call a taxi, she kindly arranged another member of staff to drive us down to the campsite. They also picked us up the next morning and took us back to the meeting point which was a releif as we didn't fancy a 3 mile walk starting at 6am!
The ziplining and white water rafting was so much fun, the tour guides were fab and we had such a laugh with them! Prices were a little high for us travellers on a budget but it was WELL worth it!

Afterwards, we asked if the kitchen was still open so we could get some tea but they advised it was closed. Aware that we did not have transport or phones, and had forgotten to bring food for our 3 day camping trip (stupid we know!!) they ordered us a pizza to River Riders and stayed open late for us to eat before they drove us back to the campsite. They also gave us a couple of muffins complimentary for our breakfast in the morning which was again extremely kind of them!

Not only did they look after us so generously, they also picked us up in the morning and drove us all the way back to the train station for our train back to Washington which they didn't have to do.
The staff here are by far the kindest people we came accross throughout our time in America and we are extremely grateful to them for assisting us throughout our adventure. My friend and I would recommend anybody to go!!! It's a great day out and the staff are incredible!!

P.s. the location of the campsite is idyllic, looking out over the lake is beautiful! In the distance you can see 3 mountains, 1 is Maryland, 1 is Virginia, and the other is West Virginia!

Visited August 2012

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Hooked on, hooked up, just plain hooked”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I came for the adventure course/night zip line combo I found through Living Social. Entirely worth the full price. The adventure course was a challenge but not disheartening. I came away with a few bruises but the feeling I had accomplished something. The staff was excellent. Safety was paramount - seen both in the gear and in the quality of the course. The site was beautiful and I can't wait to come back in the spring. The jokes were horrid!
The zip line was amazing. This was my second zip line trip and my first night time trip. Again, safety was paramount. The towers were both functional and beautiful - kind of like Tinkerbell's Treehouse. This was probably enhanced by the fairy lights on the bridges and on the towers. This is a fun course, you'll need to be able to climb ladders, but you are always tethered to something so you needn't worry about falling.
I highly recommend River Riders based on these two activities. I'm looking forward to rafting in the spring.

Harrisonburg, Virginia
“Adventure course and zip lining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

My husband and I are in our upper 20s and we really enjoyed the adventure course and zip lining. We did the adventure course in the morning and we zip lined in the afternoon. We were time crunched in between activities and were unable to get lunch so I would suggest maybe bringing a lunch if you plan on doing more that one activity. We visited in November so it was pretty cold (lower 40s) so I would suggest dressing VERY warmly if temperatures are low. However, since it was cold my husband and I were able to have the majority of the adventure course to ourselves so we didn't have to wait on anyone and we could go at our own pace. We really enjoyed ourselves.

Fairfax, Virginia, United States
“Totally worth the cold!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Our family, including an 11yr old, enjoyed our first ZipLine adventure with River Riders this past weekend! The temperature dropped 20 degrees while we were there .... but even with freezing fingers and toes, it was TOTALLY WORTH IT! We had a fantastic time the whole day. The staff is AWESOME and SAFETY is by far their #1 priority! I've already passed thier link on to all my friends! We cannot express just how much fun we had! And the best part ... our daughter's confidence got a huge boost!!! She's ready for more!

Harleysville
3 attraction reviews
“Great family adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

My son (10 years old) and I did the zip line course in the morning, followed by rafting in the afternoon. GREAT experience. He was hesitant and nervous on the first zip line. By the end, he wanted to go first.
Guides are TERRIFIC. Wish I remembered the name of our (girl with a great sense of humor, and a guy who seemed to be an accomplished rock climber). All of them kept it fun and energetic.
Harpers Ferry is also a great town to visit. Make sure that you save time to check it out.

Visited August 2012