“Peaceful, Romantic, & Tasty Indeed!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Angler's Inn Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harpers Ferry
The Angler's Inn Bed and Breakfast
You added The Angler's Inn Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
867 W. Washington St, Harpers Ferry, WV 25425   |
Ranked #3 of 10 Harpers Ferry B&B and Inns
Philadelphia
“Peaceful, Romantic, & Tasty Indeed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2008

This B&B deserves nothing but praise. The Inn is beautifully maintained, comfortable, and cosy. The breakfast was out of this world. The Owners were so nice as were the other couples at the Inn. I would recommend The Anglers Inn to anyone looking for a quiet, well-appointed getaway.
p.s. and the hiking is pretty great too.

• Liked — The restored house and the breakfast
  • Disliked — -
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2008

I believe that when you go somewhere and it is absolutely a great and wonderful experience- you should give praise somehow.
My boyfriend and I wanted to do something special for Halloween, so we decided to check out The Anglers Inn, I called and made a reservation for The Remington Room- (great for a romantic nite or two- spotless,beautiful, relaxing burgundy room, beautiful clawfoot bathtub, the works!!!) Which was the room that we wanted, Debbi- the Inn Owner- was wonderful, she made it so easy to make a reservation, and when we arrived, we found a note on the front door directing us where to find our key, and telling us if we needed ANYTHING, the phone was in the parlor, we went straight up to our room and made ourselves comfortable. I loved this approach- It was refreshing, we weren't bombarded after driving 2 hours and walking around the town for almost 3 hours with a bunch of questions, when we simply just wanted to be left to ourselves, to relax and take a bath and enjoy the privacy and serenity that we learned the Inn had to offer. We knew that Debbi was just a phonecall away if we needed anything. The House is absolutely beautiful, clean, and the cookies were delicious. There is no T.V., which was nice for a change, most B&B's don't have them, but the front porch was awesome, I would recommend The Anvil Restaurant- the food was absolutely delicious, (I had the Harvest Chicken) and the sevice was excellent. Not to mention the breakfast we had at The Anglers Inn, prepared by Debbi, was absolutely delicious. My boyfriend loved the pumkin pancakes, and he hates anything pumkin flavored, we also had Triple Berry Gratin, Apricot Bread- homemade, this couldn't have been store bought- it was to dang good! And sausage. We had a wonderful experience and we will definetely stay at The Anglers Inn again, and again. So if you are looking for a quiet, clean, beautiful, relaxing Bed & Breakfast with the best gourmet breakfast you will ever have, PLEASE take my word for it- Stay at THIS INN- Call Debbi!!! Thanks again Debbi and Bryan.

• Liked — The hospitality.
  • Disliked — Absolutely NOTHING.
Towson, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2008

The Angler's Inn is a beautiful bed and breakfast just on the outskirts of the quaint, historic town of Harper's Ferry. Do not let the name mislead non-fishing visitors. The house has a wonderful Victorian style, a warm, comfortable, and cozy interior, and is absolutely immaculate. The homemade, gourmet meals were all outstanding and could be tailored for special dietary needs. The owners were exceptionally kind and helpful, but not overwhelming. It was truly the perfect romantic weekend getaway.

• Liked — Proximaty to Harper's Ferry
  • Disliked — Nothing
rochester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2008

The perfect place to base your vacation from ! Our private entrance room was comfortable & spacious with a wonderful view of the gardens. We began each day with a hearty, delicious breakfast and Debbie was a great help to us with tips and directions to our destinations for the day. Returning to this B & B each night - felt almost like home.

• Liked — location
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Alexandria, Va
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2008

Although the home is pretty, quaint, and centrally located in HF, I was surprised w/ just how rustic this B&B really was.

The hospitality was the pits. We arrived to find a note describing how to find our room and how to check in....and didnt even see our host until breakfast the next morning -(which by the way, the french toast was not fully cooked inside, and the serving of ham was not only lukewarm but not enough of a serving to fill our appetites..) then we were rushed to pay our bill while the host ran off somewhere. Competitive B&Bs should offer a menu these days, but at the Anglers the breakfast was basically take it or leave it as I heard no other options.

There was nothing "private" at all with our private entrance to the Mackensie Room. The walls border the dining room and kitchen and we were awakened to pots and pans clanging and early breakfast eaters conversation. It would have been nice if our room had a mini fridge to keep our wine cold, which it did not. The decor of our room also needed a major facelift, in our humble opinion as well.

Pros of this place seemed to be the afternoon refreshments, the nice porch overlooking the street, the boardgames and books. The bed was comfortable and the shower had excellent water pressure. That's about it. Hope this helped.

• 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
jettabug, owner at The Angler's Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, November 5, 2008
My husband and I did a lot of research before opening our B&B 12 years ago. We actually found it common and quite a bit of fun to be greeted with a note. Numerous guests over the years have confirmed this is still a common practice and they embrace it as part of the experience of going to a B&B, rather than a hotel. Our greeting note includes contact phone numbers and encourages you to give us a call should you have any questions or concerns (like how to chill some wine). That said, please understand it is our preference and by a vast majority our practice, to greet you personally.

We have found that guests who visit B&B’s regularly choose to do so because no two B&B’s are alike and they enjoy the opportunity to stay in an historic home. Décor is of course a personal preference and we try to assist you with room selection by providing pictures on our website of each room. The McKenzie Room is close to common area in our B&B (it doesn’t share walls with the kitchen however). While we are quite sorry to hear of this individual experience, we simply must defer to the overwhelming positive reviews made by couples who have stayed in this room during the 8 years it has been in service. Some of these reviews are included here on Trip Advisor.

B&B’s are actually a pretty tightly knit community who work together to help each other fill occupancy and this is particularly true in Harpers Ferry. It is our experience and that of guests we have visited with over the years that B&B’s with less than 7 rooms have one menu option offered each day. Some B&B’s offer only continental fare, or a voucher for a breakfast restaurant down the street. Our menu which we post daily in our dining room has two courses and encourages you to let us know in advance if you are concerned about any items so we can make an adjustment for you if necessary. Again, we are sorry to hear of this one experience, however, we defer to the overwhelmingly positive comments about our breakfasts.

It is true that the lodging industry can be quite hectic on holiday weekends. We do our very best to make sure all guests have been properly served and have had the opportunity to ask any questions about their activities for the day, before we might depart ourselves for another duty. Occasionally someone asks to pay when they are still at the table and this often prompts others to pay then. We have procedures in place with our housekeeper to allow you to pay at your convenience any time up until check out at 11 am. It is never our intention to rush anyone.
Albany, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2008

I first became acquainted with Bryan Kelly a few years ago when I used his fishing guide services in conjunction with a business trip to DC. I have been fishing with him since. This year I included my wife in the business trip and the fishing, and we lodged at the Kellys’ B&B, the Angler’s Inn.

My wife and I are not B&B type folks, although we have stayed at a number of them over the decades. While my limited experience with B&B’s has been uniformly pleasant, the Angler’s Inn seems a benchmark for what these facilities should offer their guests. Our room was enormous by chain hotel standards, well appointed, tastefully decorated, and immaculate. There was no TV to be found in the building, which is probably the norm for this genre; withdrawal was relieved by the copious reading material strewn about, most of it relevant to regional fishing, area attractions, and the rich history of the area.
Our stay at the inn leaves me wondering what more folks could expect from a B&B.

Debbi Kelly’s food and baked goods are to die for, and rival Bryan’s expertise on the Potomac, leading me to my passion – angling.

I have fished competitively, inshore and offshore, warm water and coldwater species; I make rods for area fishermen and own two boats. While I frequently get outfished, and still have a lot to learn, I know competence on the water when I see it.

My experience with fishing guides has largely been south of satisfactory – occasionally horrible. I’m not talking about results – God’s creatures feed when they please – and fishing guides can’t change that, and that includes Bryan.

Bryan’s first priority is his client(s). While he occasionally wings a cast, his focus is always on paying customers. His watercraft – an inflatable and a double-ender drift boat – are perfectly suited to the shoals of the Potomac. He has a great sense of humor, and has a good sense of timing on giving instruction. For example, my wife is a nominal angler. On the technical waters we fished with Bryan, there were boundless opportunities for direction and instruction. Bryan intuitively knew what and how much direction to give, and when. My wife had a ball, and caught double-digit numbers of smallmouth bass. Bryan had some helpful reads on the water, and some casting tips that improved my success.

From my perspective when I fish with Bryan, I expect to catch between 25 to 50 bass a day (mostly smallmouth, with a few redeyes), with good numbers of fish between 14 to 18 inches. I can’t imagine the action if two skilled anglers – spin fishermen or fly fishermen – hit a good day. Every year, the size of the fish have improved; while this isn’t Dale Hollow, the technical aspects of the river, the scenery and the history , the solitude and the unrelenting bite – all on the edge of metro DC - make for a quality angling experience.

• Liked — Historic atmosphere
  • Disliked — No TV
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2008

We went twice in the same month, which should tell you how much we liked it. The Inn is charming, but has all the modern conveniences -- and the old fashioned convenience of fresh cookies in the afternoon and a gourmet breakfast each morning! Staying here is a little like having your own country home. You can rock on the front porch, hang out in the living room in the afternoon, chat with friendly fellow guests over breakfast in teh dining room. Not to mention: Harper's Ferry is a pretty town with lots of trails for hiking and biking. And, just a few miles away is Shephardstown with great dining. Go ahead and enjoy the Angler's Inn. You will feel you city stress head for the door the minute you check in.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Angler's Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!