“Private Entrance” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Angler's Inn Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harpers Ferry
The Angler's Inn Bed and Breakfast
You added The Angler's Inn Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
867 W. Washington St, Harpers Ferry, WV 25425   |
Ranked #3 of 10 Harpers Ferry B&B and Inns
rochester
“Private Entrance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2008

The perfect place to base your vacation from ! Our private entrance room was comfortable & spacious with a wonderful view of the gardens. We began each day with a hearty, delicious breakfast and Debbie was a great help to us with tips and directions to our destinations for the day. Returning to this B & B each night - felt almost like home.

• Liked — location
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Alexandria, Va
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2008

Although the home is pretty, quaint, and centrally located in HF, I was surprised w/ just how rustic this B&B really was.

The hospitality was the pits. We arrived to find a note describing how to find our room and how to check in....and didnt even see our host until breakfast the next morning -(which by the way, the french toast was not fully cooked inside, and the serving of ham was not only lukewarm but not enough of a serving to fill our appetites..) then we were rushed to pay our bill while the host ran off somewhere. Competitive B&Bs should offer a menu these days, but at the Anglers the breakfast was basically take it or leave it as I heard no other options.

There was nothing "private" at all with our private entrance to the Mackensie Room. The walls border the dining room and kitchen and we were awakened to pots and pans clanging and early breakfast eaters conversation. It would have been nice if our room had a mini fridge to keep our wine cold, which it did not. The decor of our room also needed a major facelift, in our humble opinion as well.

Pros of this place seemed to be the afternoon refreshments, the nice porch overlooking the street, the boardgames and books. The bed was comfortable and the shower had excellent water pressure. That's about it. Hope this helped.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
jettabug, owner at The Angler's Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, November 5, 2008
My husband and I did a lot of research before opening our B&B 12 years ago. We actually found it common and quite a bit of fun to be greeted with a note. Numerous guests over the years have confirmed this is still a common practice and they embrace it as part of the experience of going to a B&B, rather than a hotel. Our greeting note includes contact phone numbers and encourages you to give us a call should you have any questions or concerns (like how to chill some wine). That said, please understand it is our preference and by a vast majority our practice, to greet you personally.

We have found that guests who visit B&B’s regularly choose to do so because no two B&B’s are alike and they enjoy the opportunity to stay in an historic home. Décor is of course a personal preference and we try to assist you with room selection by providing pictures on our website of each room. The McKenzie Room is close to common area in our B&B (it doesn’t share walls with the kitchen however). While we are quite sorry to hear of this individual experience, we simply must defer to the overwhelming positive reviews made by couples who have stayed in this room during the 8 years it has been in service. Some of these reviews are included here on Trip Advisor.

B&B’s are actually a pretty tightly knit community who work together to help each other fill occupancy and this is particularly true in Harpers Ferry. It is our experience and that of guests we have visited with over the years that B&B’s with less than 7 rooms have one menu option offered each day. Some B&B’s offer only continental fare, or a voucher for a breakfast restaurant down the street. Our menu which we post daily in our dining room has two courses and encourages you to let us know in advance if you are concerned about any items so we can make an adjustment for you if necessary. Again, we are sorry to hear of this one experience, however, we defer to the overwhelmingly positive comments about our breakfasts.

It is true that the lodging industry can be quite hectic on holiday weekends. We do our very best to make sure all guests have been properly served and have had the opportunity to ask any questions about their activities for the day, before we might depart ourselves for another duty. Occasionally someone asks to pay when they are still at the table and this often prompts others to pay then. We have procedures in place with our housekeeper to allow you to pay at your convenience any time up until check out at 11 am. It is never our intention to rush anyone.
Albany, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2008

I first became acquainted with Bryan Kelly a few years ago when I used his fishing guide services in conjunction with a business trip to DC. I have been fishing with him since. This year I included my wife in the business trip and the fishing, and we lodged at the Kellys’ B&B, the Angler’s Inn.

My wife and I are not B&B type folks, although we have stayed at a number of them over the decades. While my limited experience with B&B’s has been uniformly pleasant, the Angler’s Inn seems a benchmark for what these facilities should offer their guests. Our room was enormous by chain hotel standards, well appointed, tastefully decorated, and immaculate. There was no TV to be found in the building, which is probably the norm for this genre; withdrawal was relieved by the copious reading material strewn about, most of it relevant to regional fishing, area attractions, and the rich history of the area.
Our stay at the inn leaves me wondering what more folks could expect from a B&B.

Debbi Kelly’s food and baked goods are to die for, and rival Bryan’s expertise on the Potomac, leading me to my passion – angling.

I have fished competitively, inshore and offshore, warm water and coldwater species; I make rods for area fishermen and own two boats. While I frequently get outfished, and still have a lot to learn, I know competence on the water when I see it.

My experience with fishing guides has largely been south of satisfactory – occasionally horrible. I’m not talking about results – God’s creatures feed when they please – and fishing guides can’t change that, and that includes Bryan.

Bryan’s first priority is his client(s). While he occasionally wings a cast, his focus is always on paying customers. His watercraft – an inflatable and a double-ender drift boat – are perfectly suited to the shoals of the Potomac. He has a great sense of humor, and has a good sense of timing on giving instruction. For example, my wife is a nominal angler. On the technical waters we fished with Bryan, there were boundless opportunities for direction and instruction. Bryan intuitively knew what and how much direction to give, and when. My wife had a ball, and caught double-digit numbers of smallmouth bass. Bryan had some helpful reads on the water, and some casting tips that improved my success.

From my perspective when I fish with Bryan, I expect to catch between 25 to 50 bass a day (mostly smallmouth, with a few redeyes), with good numbers of fish between 14 to 18 inches. I can’t imagine the action if two skilled anglers – spin fishermen or fly fishermen – hit a good day. Every year, the size of the fish have improved; while this isn’t Dale Hollow, the technical aspects of the river, the scenery and the history , the solitude and the unrelenting bite – all on the edge of metro DC - make for a quality angling experience.

• Liked — Historic atmosphere
  • Disliked — No TV
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2008

We went twice in the same month, which should tell you how much we liked it. The Inn is charming, but has all the modern conveniences -- and the old fashioned convenience of fresh cookies in the afternoon and a gourmet breakfast each morning! Staying here is a little like having your own country home. You can rock on the front porch, hang out in the living room in the afternoon, chat with friendly fellow guests over breakfast in teh dining room. Not to mention: Harper's Ferry is a pretty town with lots of trails for hiking and biking. And, just a few miles away is Shephardstown with great dining. Go ahead and enjoy the Angler's Inn. You will feel you city stress head for the door the minute you check in.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2008

It was a nice stay. The B&B is located on the main street that leads to the historic center. The owner is gracious, breakfast is nice (although way too spiced with all sorts of spices). The room was well apointed and very clean.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
jettabug, owner at The Angler's Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, July 25, 2008
As our website describes, we offer a Gourmet Breakfast at our B&B. While we know it would be impossible to be all things to all people, we do aim to please and we one can observe from other reviews, many find our breakfasts quite pleasing.

Years ago we began placing our Breakfast Menu for the following day in a central location to give our guests something to anticipate. From a practical standpoint, it also allows one the opportunity to advise us of dietary restrictions or allergies as we mention on the menu board. Some ask about an item they may not be familiar with or are concerned they really won’t like (some people just don’t like French Toast for instance, we understand!). In these cases, we can often make simple changes that may be more pleasing. Should you find a particular item strongly to your dislike, kindly let us know so we might be able to make menu choices or slight changes for you the following morning, or during your next visit.
Reading, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2008

This was our fourth year in-a-row back to the Anglers' Inn and it seems we enjoy it more each time! The location of the Anglers' Inn in Harpers Ferry adds to the visitors' enjoyment: great hike into town or Jefferson Rock and a very short walk to Storer College which is rife with history and where we watched the United States Navy Band give a fabulous Country/Bluegrass Concert this past Saturday Evening as part of Music in the Mountains Series. Also historic Sheperdstown, with great shopping and restaurants, is nearby, where Kelly's White Fly Shop is located and the Antietam/Sharpesburg Battlefield is in close proximity.

Sue and I really enjoy the Remington Room which is spacious and extremely comfortable (especially enjoy the claw-footed tub which is perfect for a long soak after a day of fishing the Potomac) and what we enjoy most about this room is how quiet it is (we live on a very noisy street here in Reading, PA). Breakfast at the Anglers' Inn is truly a rare culinary experience and we especially enjoyed the chocolate-chip pancakes and sausage the other morning: Deb makes some fabulous coffee too which we enjoyed very much and is truly the perfect hostess!

And the fishing...I really don't know where to begin or end, and the saddest part each year is when the fishing ends!!!!! The Potomac in this part of the world is just a flat-out fabulous fishery. We've been on many guided hunts/fishes and I can tell you categorically that Bryan Kelly and his guides are the greatest , most courteous, thoughtful group we've ever encountered. Their helpful nature and smiling faces never wane throughout the day, and they enjoy your catching of fish (smallies, largemouths, walleyes, catfish, bluegills, and more) on fly-rod or spinning rod, as much or more than you!!

Personally speaking, as with most ventures in life, people make all the difference in the world. I can honestly tell you that they don't come any better in the people department than Deb, Bryan, and little Zach Kelly, and Guides J.D. and D.J.: they really make you feel like part of the family when you stay at the Anglers' Inn. Visiting the Kellys at the Anglers' Inn remains the highlight of our summer.

• Liked — The People!
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Massapequa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2008

I started as a fisherman at the Angler's Inn 3 years ago. The food and service (fishing) was really great. This year my wife took the place of my fishing buddy. It was a fishing trip my wife and I will never forget. The guide was awesome, couldn't have been more helpful and informative. (This was the first time guided fishing for my wife) He really made it a first class experience for my wife fishing. We fished for two days. The breakfast in the mornings for fishing looked like they were out of the "Gourmet Magazine" and tasted even better. We stayed 2 more days after fishing and really got to pamper ourselves with Bryan and Debbie's hospitality. The breakfast those two days were again like pictures out of "Gourmet Mag.".

The rooms were so clean and the decor exceptional, it really gave us a very relaxing and comfortable feeling. Even talking to the other people staying there, it was just a very stress free, relaxing time.

There are plenty of restaurants in the area to satisfy just about any appetite. Harpers Ferry also has so many sites to see and hiking paths to walk, even just sitting by the Potomac or Shenandoah rivers and relaxing or reading a good book. If you want to drive around, within just about 10 miles there even a few winerys that are worth visiting.

With so many things to do and see there I know my wife and I will be spending quite a few more years going to the Angler's Inn. I couldn't finish this review without mentioning the great homemade cookies in the reading room. There is always a fresh tin of them there to snack on in the afternoon.

My many thanks again to Bryan and Debbie for an absolutely great time.
See you again next year

Ray and Marian Gattus
Massapequa, New York

• Liked — The owners and they are very personnable, friendly & informative about the area
  • Disliked — really can not think of anything, everything was satisfying
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Angler's Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!