“Loved it!” 5 of 5 stars

+1 304-535-6342
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: This vintage wax museum opened in 1963 and has hosted thousands of visitors in its many years of operation. Mr. Dorfman, the artist of the realistic hand-made figures, is the very same gifted man who also crafted the figures for Gettysburg. The John Brown Wax Museum is perfect for small groups or large school field trips. It truly does make history "come alive." The museum is seasonal, opening for weekends in March but in April through November, it stays open 7 days a week. Spring and fall hours are 9:00 until 4:30 and summer hours are 10:00 until 5:30. For countless generations, this has been a "must do" activity.
Toms Brook, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I love history and I love the woman who runs this place - I'd love to schedule a ghost tour with her group someday soon. Anyway, she was knowledgeable and the exhibit itself was interesting. If y'all are expecting Madame Tousseaud's you will be disappointed; but I thought it was fantastic. Oh and by the way, the place is haunted. AWESOME.

Visited July 2014

Mechanicsville, Virginia
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Very old and run down but historically accurate.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Went here because my husband went here as a kid. This is a nice visual match to the John Brown story but the wax figures are really poorly made and sort of scary. Bulging eyes, everyone is either too tan or too light for their race. LOTS of stairs as this is in a very old house.

Visited June 2014
Winchester, Virginia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Total rip!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

$7 for adults and $5 for kids. Really??? For what? A bad smell and really cheap, corny wax figures. Save your time and money. I'm flabbergasted that some actually rated this well.

Baltimore, Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Wonderful, brought back great memories.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

I remember going here as a kid. I loved it then and still think it was well worth the admission price. The museum tells John Brown's story in a way everyone can understand and I loved the old building its housed in. I'm glad the museum is still here.

Visited April 2014
orrtanna
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Not worth the few dollars spent.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

Terrible. The building smells old, the displays are corny and cheap. Some of the displays didn't even work. We left wondering if we could get our 14$ back for such a terrible museum. Not sure how they keep this awful thing open because there wasn't a soul going through other than us. Now we know why. Save your money!

Visited June 2013