“Cold late winter spooks from the likes of a ghost town.” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 10 Activities in Harpers Ferry
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: America's oldest ghost tour is an approximate one hour walking tour around several blocks of the historic "Lower Town" section of Harpers Ferry viewing a number of sites and buildings that have had ghostly phenomenon reported in or around them over the years. Tour includes both legeds and historical events which may account for some of the ghostly happenings. These stories of Harpers Ferry's history, legends and unexplained phenomenon are appropriate for children of all ages.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
“Cold late winter spooks from the likes of a ghost town.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Great historical information. Rick was informative and entertaining. This was my first ghost tour, and though I don't spook easy and I do believe in the paranormal. The shear emptiness of Harpers Ferry at the time we were there added to an overall great historical and Folklore experience.

“Made me jump!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

Absolutely loved Rick! He dressed in period clothes, had great history mixed with great stories! Spent more time with us, probably more time than he planned, but we appreciated it so much. Yes he made me jump mire than once, usually it's my husband jumping :)

Springfield, Virginia
6 attraction reviews
“Great History, Folklore and Spooks!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

My husband and I definitely enjoyed ourselves on this tour. The history is rich and the ghost stories are definitely interesting, believable and spooky at times. I would say that younger kids, if you know they are easily frightened might not enjoy the tour. There is one graphic historical part that may not be suitable for young children, however parental discretion and knowing your child's tolerance level needs to be taken into account. I highly recommend the tour. Definitely try to plan according to the weather. When it is too cold the tour resides in the old St. Peter's Cathedral. Still just as interesting, but the visuals are hindered just slightly. For good reason, no one wants to walk around in the cold at night.

Visited February 2013
New Brunswick, New Jersey
“Supremely spooky”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We don't believe in ghosts, but our guide had us questioning that. Great stories, with really interesting history thrown in.

Visited January 2013
Arlington, Virginia
“A Great Time!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

This ghost tour was a great time. I emailed Rick (ghost tour guide) at about 9PM on a Friday night asking about any upcoming tours. He informed me that there was plenty of room for the next day's ghost tour, meeting at the church at 8PM. FYI, when he says 8PM, he means 8PM, which was great because it was a tid bit chilly.

I won't give away any details, but the tour was approx 2 hours and consisted of a short walk around the surrounding area with stops and stories along the way. You can tell that Rick has a passion for what he does. He really puts on a good show, dressing in time-period clothing and has plenty of details in each story he tells. He also has a knack for making the tour personable (learning about people on the tour) without ruining the experience. Rick is the first to admit that Harper's Ferry is a creepy town at night to begin with, but this tour takes it to a new level. The history inherent in the stories also made for a much more memorable visit to Harper's Ferry the next day in the daylight. I would highly recommend this tour, and at $12 for an adult, you can't go wrong!

Visited November 2012