“A Great Time!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 10 Activities in Harpers Ferry
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: America's oldest ghost tour is an approximate one hour walking tour around several blocks of the historic "Lower Town" section of Harpers Ferry viewing a number of sites and buildings that have had ghostly phenomenon reported in or around them over the years. Tour includes both legeds and historical events which may account for some of the ghostly happenings. These stories of Harpers Ferry's history, legends and unexplained phenomenon are appropriate for children of all ages.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Arlington, Virginia
“A Great Time!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

This ghost tour was a great time. I emailed Rick (ghost tour guide) at about 9PM on a Friday night asking about any upcoming tours. He informed me that there was plenty of room for the next day's ghost tour, meeting at the church at 8PM. FYI, when he says 8PM, he means 8PM, which was great because it was a tid bit chilly.

I won't give away any details, but the tour was approx 2 hours and consisted of a short walk around the surrounding area with stops and stories along the way. You can tell that Rick has a passion for what he does. He really puts on a good show, dressing in time-period clothing and has plenty of details in each story he tells. He also has a knack for making the tour personable (learning about people on the tour) without ruining the experience. Rick is the first to admit that Harper's Ferry is a creepy town at night to begin with, but this tour takes it to a new level. The history inherent in the stories also made for a much more memorable visit to Harper's Ferry the next day in the daylight. I would highly recommend this tour, and at $12 for an adult, you can't go wrong!

Edgewood, MD
16 attraction reviews
“Great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My family & I very much enjoyed this tour. I don't know how it compares to other ghost tours, this was our first. We found the stories very interesting and the walk around the town in the dark was pretty cool. I think you could probably take older kids, as long as they're past being the afraid of the dark. There are ghost stories mixed with stories of the town history so it's not real scary, but it is kind of creepy. The most disturbing story was not even a ghost story. It concerns a horrific event that happened in hog alley, it brought me to tears. Do take pictures. You never know what may show up in them. Check them out on facebook to see.

I do also want to mention for those of you that have never been to Harper Ferry, the town is built on the side of a mountain, so be prepared to walk up and down some hilly streets and up some very uneven rock steps to the church at the end of the tour. All said, an enjoyable evening at a reasonable price,

Beckley, West Virginia
“Not a converted believer, but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Well worth the walk around the town in the dark! The history offered from the guide was enough to keep my interest on a very cold night.

United States
6 attraction reviews
“Ghost tour..not so much...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Let me start off by saying, I did enjoy the tour. It was a beautiful night. Harpers Ferry it's self is interesting. I'd like to go back in the day and check out the shops.I went on the tour Saturday Oct 27th, I wish now I had gone earlier. The group I was in was HUGE...way too many people. I think probably since it was the weekend before Halloween everyone was trying to get their scare on. So it took longer to get from spot to spot. The description says one hour for tour, our tour was two. Some of the ppl in my group were loud, so you had to be up close to hear our guide. I mean the man can only talk as loud as he can. I just feel it would be more enjoyable with a small group.I did enjoy Mr. Garland's stories. He is a great storyteller. He appears to know ALOT about history. So that being said, I felt like it was more of a history tour than a ghost tour. No worries about being scared at all! Younger kids might get bored with this tour, its just not that excitting.

Visited October 2012
Frederick
255 attraction reviews
“A Must Do for Ghost Tour Fans”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We did this tour last night and it was perfect timing to go before the sun set because I got some good shots of the beautiful autumn West Virginia landscape. The church where the tour starts is beautiful too and is built on a hill overlooking the historic town. We have been on 8 ghost/haunted type tours and this ranks in the top two. What I liked was that it was quiet at night and we could listen to the living historian tell his tales and really absorb the atmosphere. Other cites and towns sometimes have noisy traffic all around and it's difficult to concentrate on the stories. I also take a lot of pics everywhere and got some really interesting ones, full of orbs, last night. Ellicott City is very haunted but Harper's Ferry is really loaded with them. If you like this type of entertainment, and it is a long tour, you must do this before it gets cold. P.S. This may not be for the little ones. Their attention span might not be long enough. A few brought dogs.

Visited October 2012