Harpers Ferry has had more than its share of hard times over the decades, but this fact has resulted in a bounty for visitors today. Because modernization -- ie, tearing down old buildings -- was slow to arrive here, there are dozens of historic buildings in the town. The violence that took place here has not been ignored, meaning you'll find history around many corners. The combination of lack of "progress" and historical preservation means natural beauty is easy to find in the area -- you can cross a highway bridge and see more green than buildings. And because the nature was never fully "tamed," recreational opportunities abound -- hiking, rafting, zip-lines, kayaking, biking, and tubing are easy to enjoy. Because visitors have a lot of reasons to come here, you'll have many choices on where to stay -- within the town itself or in nearby Charles Town. This Econo Lodge (formerly a Comfort Inn) is a good mix of value, comfort, being close to the city, and easy access to the main highway.
Stayed here primarily due to it being literally within sight of the Appalachian Trail. That it was also right off U.S. Highway 340, just beyond the bridge over the Potomac, was a bit of a bonus. However, this location is still just under a mile from the historic district, and about five miles to services in Charles Town. In other words, right on a major highway but not adjacent to anything.
Our room had full bath (a bit crowded), AC, fridge, microwave, hair dryer, iron & board, coffee maker, and TV with 32 channels. It was clean, quiet, and well-maintained. Staff was professional and friendly. Free amenities include parking, wi-fi, local calls, hot breakfast buffet, and PC with printer in the lobby. The motel has two floors but no elevator, which may be a problem. Room doors can only be accessed from the inside, and the desk at the front door seems to be staffed at all hours. We did note that our door did not shut unless you pull on it, which could be a problem if you are in a hurry to get somewhere.
This a motel centered on value for visitors, not necessarily charm or beauty or romance. For a place to stay while visiting here for a few days, it may well meet your needs at a good price.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are the closest hotel to Harpers Ferry National Historical Park near historic Harpers Ferry and just minutes from Hollywood Casino Charles Town. Whether you are looking to explore our country's history, enjoy the natural beauty of the mountains, or checking out the gaming and horse-racing action in Charles Town, the Econo Lodge is the perfect place to stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Choice Hotels, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, TripOnline SA and Agoda so you can book your Econo Lodge Harpers Ferry reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Econo Lodge Harpers Ferry Hotel Harpers Ferry
- Comfort Inn Harpers Ferry
- Harpers Ferry Comfort Inn