“Great Day!” 5 of 5 stars

Catonsville
4 attraction reviews
“Great Day!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My wife and I did the sea caves trip...both of us were novices. Guides were both knowledgable and patient and kept our group moving. Conditions on Lake Superior varied and they tweaked the trip based on conditions. Nontheless, we made it through a number of the caves successfully and had a great time. This was noteworthy in that cruises leaving the other side of the island, on same day, weren't able to make it out that day due to conditions ...and an experienced couple at our B&B wasn't able to make it to the caves the day before! Highly recommend!

Visited August 2013

Chicago, Illinois
5 attraction reviews
“BWC - 3 days, 31 miles, 4 islands and a bear!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

My husband and I had never been sea kayaking, but the Apostle Islands are beautiful and within driving distance of Chicago so we went for it. So glad we did. We had a full group- 12 people and 2 guides. We stayed 2 nights at the same site on Stockton. Beatiful sandy beaches! Julian Bay feels like the Carribean. Also stopped at beaches on Oak, Hermit, and Basswood.

Our guides (Hannah and Rosie) make this a 5 star review. They anticpated all our needs. They were patient and encouraging during the safety training (if you're not in shape it's not easy getting back in the kayak during rescue training). They kept an immaculate camp; leave no trace is no joke. Hannah was a great cook and everything tasted delicious and was well seasoned. I'm not used to having cumin, curry, etc options when camping! They seemed to sense when I was getting tired or bored on open water crossings and would chat me up (and everyone else). They really helped us push through some rough times.

This is a pretty luxurious camping experience if you're used to backpacking. Kayaks hold an amazing amount of gear. The guides pack in all the food and make all the meals. The only thing you have to do is wash your own plate and set up your own tent. Plenty of hot meals and fresh veggies. We are both vegetarian and had plenty to eat. Didn't even touch our $20 in snacks we brought from home.

My advice is to be prepared. Pack what LAI recommends on the list they send. Wear lots of sunscreen if it's sunny. Drink lots of water and bring a long sleeve sunshirt and shade hat to wear while paddling. Don't forget bugspray or you'll wish you were dead. Bring long underwear to sleep in (even in August). Drinkers- don't forget the flask.

Visited August 2013
Ingleside, Illinois
“Beware if you are the single”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I went on two trips this week with living adventure as a single, and both times I ended up giving rides to first time kayakers. Today the weather was perfect so I was excited to go on the half day shipwreck tour. I was paired with an 82 year old first time kayaker. She needed two people to assist her in and out of the kayak. The weather was perfect otherwise I would have not endangered myself on Lake Superior where the weather can change very quickly. She physically not able to kayak and the majority of the trip she had her paddles upside down. When I mentioned this to the office staff I was told most eighty year olds have no problem with the tour. Beware the greed of the company to make the most money supersedes your safety. Monday I had the same experience. I had a great ride out there with the guide, but after lunch a couple with no experience was split. I was paired with a novice who insisted that he sit in the back and steer the boat. He was under the impression that his job was to steer and do minimal paddling. He steered us into other people in the group and we almost slammed into the cliffs since he had a hard time keeping his feet on the pedals. I do not know why Living Adventure thought it would be enjoyable for me to pull a 220 pound man for half of the trip?
The guides were all fantastic, but I do not recommend going as a single.

Ames, Iowa
“BWC 3 day kayaking trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Just finished the three day trip with a group of 10 people and 2 guides (Joe and Page). Absolutely fabulous trip. We spent the morning doing safety exercises, capsizing and recovering - its not that hard! Then we paddled off in the afternoon. The weather was gorgeous, winds were for the most part in the right direction each leg for paddling. We paddled for stretches of an hour, sometimes two hours, before stopping for a break or lunch or camp. I thought that I'd have very sore arms, but I didn't really feel and soreness until the last day. Camp sites were on Oak Island and Stockton Island. There was a nice breeze at the tent site on Oak, which blew the mosquitoes away. Some in the party went for a hike just on dusk, along the shore, and ran into a bear - the bear seemed to be more shocked than the people - but also lots of ticks. The campsite at Stockton Island was very mosquito'y - bug nets are really useful to have. The food was spectacular. First night was steamed lake whitefish, rice, vegetables and baked brie for appetizer. Second night pasta with chicken. It seems a little luxurious to have all of this food, but it is a treat after the time in the kayak. Joe is a very experienced, caring, knowledgeable guide - was really enjoyable talking with him. Page was a little green - this being her first year - but really good to talk to and very hard-working around camp. The group got along very well, and were similar in paddling skills so we made good progress each day, and made for fun chats at the camp sites. The Living Adventures company well-organized and easy to work with. I plan to take more kayaking trips and would recommend this to others. It is a great way to see the shores of Lake Superior.

tobeor82b
7 attraction reviews
“Great Place to book a kayaking tour through Sea Caves”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

The staff (our guides Jana & Rosie) were spectacular. Very friendly and professional. Provided us with direction of how to use the equipment and made sure everyone in the group had fun and were safe. They provided all the equipment needed for the COLD water adventure. After they loaded all the equipment we were going to need they drove all of us to the location where we put the kayaks into the water. Helped carry all the equipment down 46 steps which going down wasn't too bad. After a full day of kayaking.. we were all very tired. Thankfully there was another guy from Living Adventures on shore to meet us and helped carry everything back up and got it loaded for us. Don't remember his name but a BIG thank you to him as well. Everyone had a great time, we just wanted more time to play in the Sea Caves (guess we were all kids that day) It had been raining a lot, but had stopped the day before we arrived so there were lots of waterfalls, Eagles to see, the caves were excellent to maneuver through. Make sure you go to the bathroom before you leave as there are no facilities along the way and although the stop we made for lunch had trees, well you know the rest of that story. Still would do it all again and again and again.

Visited July 2013

Been to Living Adventure, Inc? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Living Adventure, Inc, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.