“Great ambience and coffee” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 15 Restaurants in Bayfield
Cuisines: Coffee Shop, Café
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch
Description: Big Water Coffee Roasters is an artisan coffee roaster located on Lake Superior's south shore in Bayfield, Wisconsin. We offer scratch bakery, homemade soups and premade sandwiches. Our baristas make killer lattes and our bakers make the world's best scones! We feature local and sustainable ingredients whenever possible, including local milk, fruit, and vegetables. Open year 'round, stop in to grab a bite to eat and your favorite coffee!
Barrington, Illinois
“Great ambience and coffee”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Love walking up to Big Water for a some great java and to enjoy the folks who live here. Good pastries as well.

Visited August 2013

Houston, Texas
“slow”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

took way too long to make a coffee. when we left and the line was near the door, we were very glad that we arrived when we did. flies hovered and landed on the pastries and it didnt seem to bother anyone. dont know if this is local custom but it was not appealing to me

Visited August 2013
BWCdani, Owner at Big Water Coffee Roasters, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and we apologize that your visit was less than exceptional. I am sorry that the wait did not match your expectation. We try hard to get drinks out to our customers in a timely manner, while balancing the promise of handcrafting each drink to order. Our baristas hand pull the espresso shots and steam milk for each customer. This approach to drink making does take a bit more time than automatic machines at large chains. I am sorry your took too long.

As for the flies, we have taken many measures against this, including covering all bakery and working with our pest management company. The biggest issue we are battling is that we have such high volume in the summer that our front door is constantly opening. We are doing all we can, and apologize again. We hope you will return and give us another change.

Danielle Ewalt
Owner
Dane County, Wisconsin
“Early a.m. handcrafted coffee drinks”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Even (or especially) on vacation it is worth visiting early to relax while customers are a mix of locals and visitors. Then it is easy to appreciate the baristas and their attention to detail. Our espressos and lattes were excellent, and we've had handcrafted + boutique-roasted coffee in minor, medium & major American cities and Italy. IMHO the coffee is stellar and outshines Starbucks but if you need that factory-fast prep, Big Water is not for you.

Egg pastries OK but after first visit found bigger breakfasts. Still got our coffee @ Big Water!

Heads-up: Central Bayfield parking, shops and eateries can be congested by midday in midsummer. It is after all a town beloved by tourists.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Iowa City, Iowa
“Tasty treats and sandwiches; very unfriendly and slow severs”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

I am not a coffee drinker, but visited Big Water several times during a recent weeklong stay in Bayfield to purchase cookies, coffee cake, and sandwiches, which were all very tasty and priced about average. The same two young gals were working every time I went in and always acted like they were doing me a favor by waiting on me. They never greeted me and never smiled. One time when I went in, one was making a coffee drink and the other was making coffee, but was standing close to the cash register where I was standing. She took a painstakingly long time to grind the coffee and put it into the machine while I waited. She never greeted me or said she would be with me shortly. Seems like these two gals do not like tourists!

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your feedback and I apologize that your visit was anything short of exceptional. I have talked with all of our staff about your experience. We have all taken your feedback to heart and re-committed to making sure every customer has a great experience here. We pride ourselves on great service and I am saddened that you did not receive this. We all love tourists and the fun they bring to our job. Everyday we get to meet new people and share the Bayfield area with them, a place we all love. Please accept my sincere apology. I hope that you will give us another chance when you are in the area.

Thanks,

Danielle Ewalt
Owner
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Definitely worth a stop for all coffee lovers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Big Water had it all, a delicious cup of regular coffee for my husband, and the barista Ariel made me one of the best cappuccinos I'd had in a long time. The bakery was great as well!

• Visited August 2013