“WOW!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Winfield Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bayfield
Winfield Inn
You added Winfield Inn to your Saves list
225 E. Lynde Ave., Bayfield, WI 54814   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Bayfield
WI
“WOW!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We were delighted by this beautiful site, Not only were the rooms big and well equiped, they were also beautifully decorated. We felt at home, and still pampered. We travel with our dog/baby, and he also loved it and was entirely relaxed there. The grounds were beautiful, and we were able to take lovely walks, and come back and either eat right there, with all equipment to make a meal, or send out for a pizza or some other favorites. We love playing at the nearby Casinos, or just sit and look out the windows at the fantistic view of Madeline Island and Lake Superior. We were there in late September and early October, and were amazed at the flowers still in bloom in the wonderful gardens that surround the condos and the motel and cottages. We stayed with friends the first few times, so had a double room, and later just us in a single, and were very comfortable in both. We were married in September 53 years ago, and staying at the Winfield in Sepetember, has been the best way we have ever celebrated our anniverseries! Thanks for the memories Winfield. ( We were not there in 2011, but in several years before, but, could never forget our wonderful experiences there)

Room Tip: We loved the Condo's, and therfore always chose them. They overlooked the lake and the gardens a...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
orchidcurran70, Owner at Winfield Inn, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Thank you!! It is always our pleasure to welcome back guests. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and we cold contribute to some wonderful memories.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Rhinelander, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

The Winfield is a nice place to stay in Bayfield. It's reasonably priced and it's clean and it has plenty of charm. I am super picky about hotel rooms, but I have stayed at the Winfield several times and the rooms have always met my standards. The rooms are not very modern, which is kind of cozy after a long day in Bayfield, in/on the water and playing at the beach.

During the summer, I am usually traveling with my nephews, and they love to explore the grounds of the Winfield, which have beautiful gardens and sculptural elements. The whole setting is peaceful and beautiful.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Buffalo Grove, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

We were quite impressed with the beautiful Winfield Inn gardens. These folks really know their gardening. The color range and variety were just breathtaking. Reading and talking couldn't get any better among the colorful array of flowers! Our room had a lovely view overlooking the flowers and of Lake Superior. This family owned property was quaint, charming and more than we had imagined. The only thing that could be improved are the pillows. Each bed had 4 but we couldn't quite get comfortable. Another plus, we were within walking distance to downtown, the Ferry and Memorial Park where we enjoyed a free Tuesday night concert!

Room Tip: We had room #14 which was on the second floor and central for viewing Lake Superior.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

We had a rare trip without the kids, but we did have the dog, so our options were somewhat limited. We had never been to Bayfield before and ended up choosing the Winfield based on the price, location to town, and it is dog-friendly.

We stayed in the Winfield Inn and Gardens on the north end of Bayfield. Winfield has many properties around town, so be sure of what you want and where you want to be (there is a map on ther website). The Inn is a two story building with 20 units. We chose #20 which is second story, all the way to the right as you face the building from the lake side.

You can check availability online but must call for a reservation. The woman was friendly, confirmed the reservation details, and sent a follow-up confirmation email. You reserve with a credit card but they actually prefer to be paid with a check, so we did that when we checked in.

Speaking of check-in, we arrived at 2pm on a Monday. Their policy (similar to almost everywhere) specifies a 3pm check-in. When we arrived we were not greeted with "Let me check if that's available" but with "Check-in is at 3:00, but we can at least do all the paperwork now". Hmmm. That's a bit unusual, but it is their policy so what can you do. Anyway, we did the paperwork and wrote the check, and headed back to town to kill an hour.

We picked up the keys (real, not swipe-card) after 3:00, and headed around back to park. The rear of the main building is just parking, dumpsters, and entry doors. No windows overlook this side, as all the action is out front, overlooking the gorgeous view of the lake. Note - the lot is gravel and slightly uneven. We happend to be there at the same time as the monsoon rains that flooded Duluth/Superior, and Bayfield got its fair share. The lot was therefore a bit on the muddy side. All the rooms face the lake, so the entry doors open directly out into the parking area (i.e. you are not in an enclosed hallway inside the building - you are under a covered arcade like the old-school motels).

The room was pleasantly decorated, with a bookshelf with a selection of books, little art pieces, etc. An earlier review said it was kind of like staying in a spare bedroom at somebody's house. I think they meant it in a negative way, but I thought it was ok. Definitely not a chain! More importantly the room was clean, the tv worked, the beds were comfortable and had lots of pillows, and there was a fridge (which actually worked well - that's not always the case). Two drawbacks: the rooms do not have their own microwaves. That's not a huge deal, and there is a microwave in the office for public use. The bigger drawback was that the ac unit is on the parking lot side (understandably so, to avoid impacting the lake-side use) but because of the room layout most of the cold air stays by the door/bathroom/closet and fails to adequately penetrate to the side of the room that has the beds. This certainly isn't a deal-breaker and there's not a lot that can be done about it. I'm just saying.

Anyway, what the room did have is a nice little private balcony with a small table and couple chairs that overlook the landscaped grounds and the lake. Just a note on that however - the floor of the balcony is a wooden deck, not a solid surface. So if I had happened to spill a beverage or my bag of m&m's the people sitting on their patio below me would have been hit. Also, there was a solid divider between our balcony and our neighbor, but the first floor patios only have lattice screens, or in some cases no divider.

The hotel was full so there was somebody below us, and somebody next to us (we were on the end so we didn't have two next-door neighbors). But I wasn't hearing very much bleed-through noise from anywhere. I could hear when one of our neighbors turned on the shower, but I wasn't hearing TV, cars, voices, etc. Of course my ac was running full blast so a little white noise always helps, but the only thing we kept hearing is that people were really slamming their entry/patio doors for some reason. They didn't seem all that sticky or anything, but that's the one sound that did carry.

There are also a couple fire pits on the property, and a very pleasant looking public deck with patio umbrella tables and a gas grill to use. Unfortunatley the monsoon prevented us from using those amenities. The landscaping was also awesome, although an earlier review mentioned that its really the thin strip on the lakeside. True, but it was still pretty awesome. The office had free coffee and ice, and some candy and misc. for sale, as well as the microwave.

Finally, the location - the property is not directly on the lake (i.e. no beach or anything) but the view is very nice. We also found it close enough to walk to town in a matter of five mintes or so, but be aware that you go downhill into town, and its all uphil coming back! It was no problem for our middle-age legs even after a few beverages or an ice cream cone, but do not plan to walk to town if you have mobility issues.

All in all, a very nice stay. Room 20 was well decorated, well maintained, well cleaned, not quite as cool as I would have liked, but had a spectacular view. I would go back or recommend to a friend.

Bayfield - a quaint little town with orchards/wineries on the bluffs, an Indian casino in the next town north, Madeline Island across the bay (we watched the ferries from our balcony), and some neat little shops and a museum in town. There is a small IGA grocery in town for necessaries, and be sure to check out the Candy Shoppe for ice cream, candy, and "wine bread" (which was delicious, even after the dog sat on the leftovers in the car). And big props to the Pier Restaurant and Greunke's for their outdoor patios where we could sit with the dog while we ate. BTW - Sgt Pepperoni's was ok pizza and did deliver to the Winfield (though I could have walked to pick it up - its the first establishment you pass if you walk to town)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Owner at Winfield Inn, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Just a quick response to the paragraph regarding location. Our motel is located up on a bluff, but the property goes down to Lake superior, so we are located right on Lake Superior. We aren't at lake level. The reviewer is right in that there is no lake access. The shoreline is too steep to travel down.
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We spent two nights at the Winfield condos. The place was clean and nice and had a great shared deck overlooking the water. Our condo had air conditioning, which was great as we were there the hottest days in several years. It had a full size fridge and stove, which was nice even though we didn't use it. The beds were comfortable and everything was well appointed. The decorations were nice but hadn't been updated recently. We have stayed at little inns all over the place and didn't expect this to be an upscale, modern inn, which it isn't. But it has lots of charm, is priced right, and is close to the downtown area. Nice place. We would go back.

Room Tip: There are only 5 (?) condo type rooms so I don't think you can go wrong.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Twin Cities, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

We recently stayed in one of the condos in the Reiten Boatyard property. It's a great location--close to town and right on the public swimming beach. The condo itself was adequate. It was functional and clean but pretty outdated. It has great potential, with a little updating, to be a really nice place. The thing that made us decide never to stay in this particular condo again, though, was the bed. It's a studio, so it has a murphy bed. Both my husband and I had terrible neck and back pain after two nights in that bed and needed to make an emergency trip to the chiropractor. It would have been more comfortable to bring an air mattress and sleep on that. Also, there are supposed to be quiet hours, but being in a condo complex, we could hear other guests out on their decks talking and laughing late into the night. Since the unit doesn't have AC, it was either put up with the neighbors or close the windows. There are so many places to stay in Bayfield, we'll probably try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Branson, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

I recently booked two nights at the Winfield Inn after reviewing their website and finding it to be appealing on the surface. Upon arrival, I discovered my room was nothing more than a walkout basement with a scent of urine that greeted me as soon as I opened the door. The decor is dated and gave a feeling of staying in a college roommate's spare room rather than a motel.

The gardens are okay, if quirky yard art is your thing. It's a real shame, actually, because the location is great. It's close to town with beautiful views of Lake Superior. Too bad the owners haven't put the effort into the rooms. As a former owner of a motel myself, landscaping should be the icing and the rooms are the cake. All the icing in the world, however, won't hide a crappy cake.

I just couldn't stay a second night in the room and checked out early. When I said I was leaving early, the staff said "Okay, bye", took the key and walked off. I was shocked that no one asked if there was a problem or explained a refund policy (I was not expecting one, but good customer service would have prompted a conversation about the policy).

All in all, I made a mistake of booking a non-chain motel based off a website. That was my mistake. The Winfield Inn's mistake was taking a beautiful lodging location and teaming it with sketchy, outdated accommodations and mediocre customer service.

Stay in Ashland. A couple places I stopped there were lovely and the staff acted like they WANTED me there!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
, Owner at Winfield Inn, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
I am very sorry to hear that your stay with us was a horrible experience. I would like to offer a refund on the one night you did stay and offer you a 2 night gift certificate. The room you stayed is not typical of what we offer. I'd like to offer you one of our 1 bedroom condos for 2 nights on the gift certificate. Please respond to our email with your contact info so we may run the credit.

Been to Winfield Inn? Share your experiences!