“Bed and Breakfast Fantasy Come True” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grey Oak Guest House

Grey Oak Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bayfield
Grey Oak Guest House
You added Grey Oak Guest House to your Saves list
105 South 7th Street, Bayfield, WI 54814   |
Ranked #7 of 17 Bayfield B&B and Inns
San Diego, California
“Bed and Breakfast Fantasy Come True”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

I had always wanted to stay in a B&B and my experience at the Grey Oak Guest House fulfilled all my expectations. It's a beautiful Victorian with a magnificent front porch in a quiet neighborhood. Unlike some other properties in town, it was not on the main road or in the middle of the hustle and bustle by the lake. I stayed in the smaller of the two bedrooms and was completely charmed by the antique furnishings. Susan, the innkeeper, went out of her way to accommodate my dietary restrictions, providing wonderful breakfasts every morning. I especially appreciated that breakfast was served on a tray that I could bring to my room at my convenience. There is a great deal of privacy in this guest house.

There is plenty of free off-road parking alongside the house. Once I parked I walked everywhere with no problem. The trip to downtown Bayfield and the waterfront is a downhill walk through residential neighborhoods and slightly uphill on the way back. Both bedroom accommodations are on the second floor, accessible by stairs only.

Susan was a great resource for this first-time visitor to Bayfield. She told me about a fabulous yarn store that I likely would not have found on my own and also gave me suggestions on where to find the best pie in town. Staying in this B&B was delightful and I would love to go back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

We started looking for a B and B in Bayfield and chose The Grey Oak Guest House based on what we saw online. Within a week, we received a brochure in the mail including a map of the town and lists of common attractions that would be occurring during the time of our stay. When we got there, the house was beautiful with two great rooms for guests. My wife and I stayed in the "smaller" of the two and couldn't imagine wanting more. Breakfast in the morning came on trays outside the room and included coffee/tea, muffins, fresh fruit, and a variety of cereals. The innkeepers were "out of the way", but very accommodating to our needs and requests. The house is within walking distance of the town's main attractions allowing us to walk everywhere we wanted to go. We couldn't have been more pleased with the Grey Oak Guest House and will be very excited to visit again, soon. Highly recommend it!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

Bayfield has so many places to stay it was hard to choose one within my price range. We stayed in the smaller bedroom. The air conditioning was wonderful, since it was very hot and humid. Very nice modern bathroom with shower. The only thing to note is the very steep curvy stairs. Breakfast of danish, cereal and excellent fresh fruit was brought upstairs and left on the credenza to pick up and bring in your room to eat., so you could relax and eat in your pajamas.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

Stayed in the suite, big room with lots of windows. Clean and updated, beautifully decorated with air conditioning. Innkeepers were helpful, gave us maps to orchards, etc. Fabulous breakfast of fresh local fruit, scones, homemade breads and coffee, set right outside our door each morning. Love the location and the big wrap around porch, nice place for cheese and crackers after a fun day. Cool old historical house, unique experience. Highly recommended and much more affordable than other B+Bs in Bayfield. Well worth it. Already have next year’s weekend booked.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2010

This was my second time at Grey Oak. I enjoyed it so much last year I looked forward to coming back. Both times we stayed in the Swede Hill Suite. This airy bedroom and sitting room has windows facing two directions and a lake view over the treetops and houses below. The windows open, which I love, to let in the fresh breezes, but there's a nice air conditioner if you prefer that. The suite is very spacious and well-appointed with everything you need. Breakfast is always divine--great coffee, just-picked berries and other fruits, scones and breads, juice, cereal. I like the it's delivered to your door and is waiting there for you when you get up. You just pop out your door, get the tray and enjoy in the privacy or your room which is great if, like me, you want to have your coffee and something to eat before showering or combing your hair :-) If you're more social, you can take your coffee and plate down to the lovely covered porch. Beds are very comfy with extra pillows and blankets. Very nice TV, which I didn't watch at all -- too much other fun stuff to do. Bathroom is well appointed also with newer fixtures, nice soap, etc. Innkeepers Susan and Neil couldn't be nicer or more helpful. They feel like old friends.

All this and much less expensive than most! Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

We rode our tandem bicycle again from Duluth and stayed 2 nights at the Grey Oak Guest House -- and we LOVE the strong coffee! I really l like the decor, makes me feel like I have come home. We each took a long soak in the tub, no plumbing issues whatsoever. After walking down to supper in the evening, we sat on the front porch in the rocking chairs each night & gazed out over Lake Superior and chatted with the other guests. Enjoyed the breakfast, scones & muffins & delicious fresh fruit & coffee. We will be back next year on our bicycle!

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Eagan, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Grey Oak Guest House for 3 nights over Memorial Day weekend. While we had a great time in the town and neighboring Madeline Island, we were a bit disappointed in our accommodations at the Grey Oak Bed and Breakfast.

The bed was fairly comfortable. Breakfast was excellent in presentation and the scones were fabulous. We had the use of community mini-refrigerator, but would definitely have benefited from a microwave. They had tea bags for use by the guests, but no hot water and no way to make it. The coffee must have been French roast or something as it was very strong; too strong for either of us coffee lovers. The water pressure was great, much better than you usually find in older hones, however the bath tub backed up every time we used it. It took about 10 minutes to drain. Wine glasses were handy on the mantle, but no corkscrew to be found anywhere, so we bought one. We are experienced with using wood-burning fireplaces, but the even though the flue was wide open and we followed the owner's direction about the fireplace doors, it smoked very badly. Generally , it looked like the room had been "created" many years ago and then left alone - it could really use a face lift!

The owner said they were always available, we just had to knock on their door. Well, each day we knocked at various times of the day to let them know about the drain, flue, etc. But we didn't see them until late on day 2...and we were on our way somewhere and didn't have time to talk.

Grey Oak is adequate and you may have an enjoyable stay there if you like being totally left alone. Generally our dissatisfaction was around upkeep/maintenance. Stains in the carpet, a clogged drain, a dirty chimney flue which may have been what caused the fireplace to smoke, worn tired bed linens and cracked peeling paint.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Grey Oak Guest House? Share your experiences!