“GOOD FOOD AND FRIENDLY SERVICE” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
cherry hill nj
“GOOD FOOD AND FRIENDLY SERVICE”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

My wife and I were just in Sharpsburg and ate twice at Capt. Benders, Once on Friday and again on Sat. after we went accross the river to Shepardsberg but were shut out from the better places because we had no reservations.
The place was doing a busy food business on both nights with adults and familys with children. The wait staff was helpful and friendly. The food was well cooked and plentiful and they had a good selection of local draft/craft beers.
It doesn't try to be more than what it is--a neighborhood bar/restaurant whis good grub.

• Visited October 2013

Hagerstown
“Make sure you tread lightly with your questions upon entering....This place was absolutely terrible!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

We entered and simply ask the "person" behind the bar if they were serving lunch. We were given a horrible look as if we ask the dumbest question you could possibly imagine. We only ask this because a few years ago when passing through there was a sign outside stating food would not be served. We were told not under that ownership was food never served and if she wasn't serving lunch she wouldn't have a job. I am sorry, my husband and I didn't stop at the only two seated tables to see what exactly they were doing, eating drinking, etc. Just a question that I would assume a person working would just respond with Yes or No to lunch and I will be with you soon. Not a rant and a totally rude attitude. I think my husband was in shock that this was happening. I stated we should obviously leave. As we turned to go my husband stated what wonderful greeting and service we just received. This "person" actually chased us to the door ranting about us asking about lunch when she was serving 8 others, whom I could not see either way. Again, Wow this was just amazing. Once we got away from this obviously disturbed person to the safety of our vehicle, we just couldn't believe what we just went through for simply asking a simple question of serving lunch and wanting to actually give our money to this establishment. Never again!! Make sure you tread lightly with your questions upon entering..............

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Pewsey, United Kingdom
“Great place for lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Good atmosphere, excellent service and a menu with enough variety without swamping you with choices. Healthy, tasty food. Thank you Captain Bender

Visited October 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A fine example of an American-style pub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Captain Benders is not a fancy place, but if you are looking for excellent service, a good selection of tasty beer (according to the beer drinkers in the group) and hearty sandwich-type fare, this is the place to come in Sharpsburg. We brought a large group that included teenagers and even a baby and everyone enjoyed their meal with strong recommendations for the reuben paninis and the chili. A good place to stop on the way to or from Antietam.

• Visited September 2013
Hamilton, New Zealand
“Good American Food at a reasonable price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Don't go in expecting a gastro-pub or fine dining. Captain Benders Tavern is one of the few places to eat in Sharpsburg and caters as much for the locals as for visiting tourists.

I ate there for 3 evenings. The Cajun Chicken was so good I had it twice. The roast beef sandwich was not up to that high level but that may have been more to my interpretation of "roast beef" from an English/New Zealand point of view.

Friendly staff, good local beer and very reasonably priced. Well worth a visit.

• Visited September 2013