“Oldest winery in Texas” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 10 things to do in Del Rio
Activities: Wine tasting
More attraction details
Owner description: The first winery in Texas.
Austin, Texas
6 attraction reviews
“Oldest winery in Texas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

This was our 3rd visit to the Val Verde winery, and it just keeps getting better. They had a new wine we liked, Sierra Madre, and an old one that is only produced every few years --the Lenoir. It's a treat to hear about the oldest continuously operating winery in Texas!

Visited August 2014

Delmar, Maryland
6 attraction reviews
“Where is the wine?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

The winery was close to our hotel, so my husband and I decided to check it out. It is small, with a limited selection and just a smattering of accessories for the wine lover. I asked to taste one of the two white wines they make and the young lady poured me what was barely a mouthful to try. It was just as well since it had no body to it and was kind of bitter...almost like it was on the verge of going bad. They are supposedly known for their port, so I did buy some of that since I use it in sauces and figured it probably wouldn't ruin anything I cooked. The young lady that was at the counter was not conversational at all and it would have been nice, even if the wine was bad, to have her tell a bit about the history of the winery. I wouldn't say don't go, but I definitely wouldn't encourage someone to go.

Visited July 2014
Del Rio, Texas
5 attraction reviews
“Great Wine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Great wine selection...very nice service and wonderful true TX hospitality. Got to sample several wines and can't wait for next supply of olive oil...it goes fast so can't wait to taste.

Visited April 2014
Mentor, Ohio, United States
“Lil winery”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

We visited my daughter n son in law at Laughlin Airforce base which is in Del Rio not much to do in this city but there is this gem.Nice place tucked back In residesial area! We did a wine tasting $5.00 for 5 then had a glass a wine outside on the picnic tables which was right next to the grape vine field. Wine is delicious!

Visited April 2014
Brazoria, Texas
5 attraction reviews
“Wine and olive oil”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

A nice selection of wines and some very good tasting ones. They also have olive oil at times that is very good.

Visited October 2013

Been to Val Verde Winery? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Val Verde Winery, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.