“Pleasantly surprised!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kanoa Resort Saipan

You added Kanoa Resort Saipan to your Saves list
Kanoa Resort Saipan
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Beach Rd. | PO Box 500369, MP96950, Mariana Islands (Formerly Saipan Grand Hotel)   |
Ranked #3 of 29 Hotels in Saipan
Piti, Mariana Islands
“Pleasantly surprised!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

I made a last minute reservation here because most of the other hotels were booked for the marathon that weekend. I was worried after reading other reviews on here. The hotel staff was excellent, the food reasonably priced, and there was lots to do; 2 pools, with waterslide, beachfront access with many water sports/toys, and giant hamster balls. Our room was large, however, slightly dirty. the towels are old and threadbare, but the rest of the hotel makes up for this. Also the wifi isn't that great, but I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Emerald Tower.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Korean first
Tinian, Mariana Islands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

Expect to have to give your life story if you want to guarantee a room reservation. After I called initially to reserve two nights, they emailed me a multiple-question form that I had to fill out and include a credit card number on. They also required a photo ID and a copy of the card itself. So after wasting 30 minutes of my life making copies, scanning them in, and emailing them back, perhaps they would also like my birth certificate, dental records, and autobiography? Ridiculous.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here last January when my husband , our daughter and his brother's family went on those Cheap Vacation Packages over the net. Surprising to say that although the cost of the trip was budget, the hotel certainly was above par than what I expected. The bus from the airport took us to a huge hotel, with its own pool (3 of them, actually), and directly beach front. The staff were friendly, and surprisingly, Filipinos! Wherever I went I had no problem communicating, alternating between English, Japanese, and my native tongue. The rooms were big enough, albeit showing its age, housekeeping always made sure it was clean. Thehotelalso has its own massage salon,and a small shop/ store that offered drinks and snacks till late hours. The hotel also has its own bar and a chapel. Breakfast was decent, with limited choices but a good enough filler til your next meal. The beach is good for snorkeling with a variety of fishes swimming in shallow waters. Flotation devices are offered for a fee, of course. Overall, a nice place to stay with the family.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Tokyo, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

I made friends with a seculity staff of this hotel. He was very kind and other staff ,too.
There is a pool and beach. I recommend watching night stars. The view from beach is amazing!! I could see a meteor ☆彡

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Hagatna, Guam
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

I just completed three days of work on Saipan and stayed at the Grand. I was seriously disappointed as my experience 26 years ago was wonderful. This property is in need of some TLC. There is no 24 hour cafe, the beds are like plywood covered in sheets and the tvs are something from 1970. Front desk staff lacks knowledge about their policies. There is no room service or vending machine for soda or snacks although there was coffee service in the room. The refrigerator in the room was not stocked Do not stay at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

I had read other reviews and was concerned that the hotel might not be as clean or nice as I had hoped. But the rooms have all been recently redone and we had a very nice clean room with a wonderful view. We were up on the 9th floor and could not have asked for a better view!! The staff was wonderful and helpful when we needed it. This was our honeymoon and it met and exceeded our expectations. The only excpetion which we did not use, the pool needs to be updated. It was clean but is reaching the point where it needs repair. But with the ocean right there and 80 degree water temp, you dont need a pool!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

My husband and I were attending a wedding of a dear friend in Saipan. Since we did not pick the hotel, there was no option of changing locations We stayed in the Emerald tower.

The attitude my husband and I decided to have was just to laugh at how dirty, run down and gross it was. We tried to make lemonade from the lemons we got!
I think the island in general is not, and hasn't been for about 30 years, in a good economic state, so I’m sure these hotels are barely hanging on and money for renovations is just not an option.

With that being said…

As we walked into our room we just started to laugh. It was apparent that nothing has been updated since about 1975. The once "white" shades were now a yellow, stained, crooked mess. The mold in the bathroom (it could be smelled throughout the entire room) would have caused any American mainland hotel to be shut down. The alarm clock was built into the head board of the bed and did not work; nor did our safe for that matter. Although, the staff did come and fix it the first day after a couple of phone calls. I am typically NOT a germ-phobic, not much grosses me out, but I would NOT walk on the floors without shoes on. The size of the rooms were HUGE! That would have been a plus, but that just meant more disgusting carpet to cross as I went to the door or bathroom.

The beach was beautiful and the view out my room was great, but the music playing from the water park next door seemed to act as our alarm clock instead. By the end of the trip I knew the playlist by heart.

They let you bring your own drinks into the rooms and beach. That was a plus! We bought beer and wine at the grocery store across the street.

Like another reviewer, nothing seemed to be open in terms of facilities or restaurants.

I also was deeply saddened and obsessed with the mangy dog tied to a cage on the hotel’s beach. I would spend a lot of my time petting him and trying to cool the dog down. I even brought it my leftover meals. The dog was the sweetest thing I’ve ever met and I doubt its fate was good. I’d be surprised if the poor thing was still alive. It haunts me still today. I hope someone rescued him from the heat, flies and mosquitoes that were literally killing him. Out of all my complaints of the hotel, the dog is my biggest. I’m sure he’s just one of thousands on the island in that state, but it was so hard to see. I tried to contact a humane society with now luck.

I would certainly NOT recommend this hotel to anyone who has even mediocre expectations.
But all in all, the friends were got to spend time with was most important and I had a wonderful time in Saipan!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Kanoa Resort Saipan? Share your experiences!