“Delicious sandwiches” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Takeout
Orange
“Delicious sandwiches”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Went here for lunch several times at the recommendation of one of our hotel bellmen. Delicious fresh baked breads, homemade soups and tasty sandwiches. The breadbakers even make bread throughout the day and you can watch from the window outside the restaurant.

Visited October 2012

• Korean first
Hoover, AL
“Bread Bowls and a Basket Tram”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

It was a late, October afternoon in San Francisco. My son and I had flown in from Alabama earlier that morning, rented a car and started hitting the tourist spots (Golden Gate Bridge, Giants Stadium, Lombard Street, etc.) when we finally wound up on Pier 39 at Fisherman’s Wharf, tired, but mainly just craving some satisfying food.

Boudin’s was available and inviting. Always wanting to experience the “signature dish” at any restaurant while traveling, I opted for the clam chowder in the sourdough bread bowl. It really hit the spot and settled my hunger. My son’s chicken sandwich on sourdough was very much to his liking. Although Boudin’s is obviously a tourist magnet, we left with a very good impression of the Frisco landmark eatery, and will most certainly return on our next visit. Prices were reasonable for the fare.

Sidenote: While sitting at tables in the walk-through breezeway, we were amused as we eyed the overhead conveyor system transporting baskets of golden sourdough loaves and buns from one restaurant area to another. Also, being a central spot in the wharf, Boudin’s is a great vantage spot for “people watching.”

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Brisbane
“Good food and a nice night out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

It's OK...would go back again. Nothing mega special but all good. Oysters where fresh...always a good sign.

Visited October 2012
London
“Boring clam chowder”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We visited San Francisco a month ago and were intrigued to try the clam chowder which we'd heard so much about as we travelled from Los Angeles to san Francisco.
In Monterey we ate a starter bowl and I liked it, I wasn't exactly bowled over by it tasting as it does very much like a thick style leek and potato soup with bacon. Notice the absence of any fish in my ingredients as the Clam in the title is a misnomer. It tastes as if a clam may have been wafted in the general direction of the bowl but whether it made it in the bowl I'm very doubtful. I ate many Clam Chowders along the west coast and they all tasted very similar, which is to say like a creamy potato soup but devoid of any actual clam taste. Don't get me wrong I love American food and I ate and adored a lot of barbecue beef brisket, pulled pork and prime rib but Clam Chowder was probably my biggest disappointment on the whole trip. Give me a Bouillabaisse or a rough fish soup and I'm over the moon, it would be one of my desert island dishes. Clam Chowder tastes like something out of a tin from the corner shop. Anyway, whilst at the Waterfront in San Francisco we visited Boudin's for lunch for the fabled sour dough loaf. Boudin's is a large open bakery where you can watch them kneading the dough and baking the bread. The place where you pick up your food is basically like a large unprepossessing souvenir shop on the ground floor and you are directed outside to the terrace to eat it. The terrace resembled a scene from The Birds, covered in all sorts of feathered varieties cockily jumping between tables pecking at peoples food, sometimes as they ate it. I don't blame the birds, they're onto a winner with all the bread thats thrown to them which brings me to the food. The famous sourdough bread is really not that special. I make sour dough at home and it's got a lot more going for it than this boring, flavourless loaf. Thankfully they've carved a bowl shape out of it but god no, they've filled it with a thick, starchy blob of chowder, the worst chowder I've eaten so far on our travels. The birds were very happy that day. I would check out the bakers doing their stuff through the Boudin's windows but leave the sour dough clam chowder abomination to the hordes of tourists and go and get a burger somewhere.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Great eating experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We visited twice for lunch and sampled the famous sourdough bread bowls, filled with chili and clam chowder, tomato soup with cheese toasties and chicken and beef sandwiches - all were delicious! There was a good selection of food on the menu. It is slightly expensive for lunch, but vouchers can be found and it is worth it for the great atmosphere and lovely food. Service is a little chaotic and as it is so busy you have to be careful not to bump into other people carrying their food. We did manage to find tables both times though. There is a wide range of merchandise, food and cooking equipment available in the shop, which again is a bit pricey but very nice and would make lovely gifts.

• Visited July 2012