“Great pan pizza” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
“Great pan pizza”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Unpretentious little place that serves solid pan pizza (we had the italian sausage and my girlfriend still talks about it) . The place was packed and lively.

Visited October 2013

91% Recommend
Clearwater, Florida
“Deep Dish Delight”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Upon landing in San Francisco, Little Star was our first restaurant stop. Overall excellent corn bread crust deep dish pizza. I think they use a tad bit more cornmeal and perhaps butter as oil. Hence the crust is soft but firm. I'm from Chicago and this would be close to Lou Malnattis. Sans the extra tomato ans sausage. The only draw back with most restaurants in SF...the parking.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Francisco, CA
“Great Cornmeal Crust Pizza”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I'm not a great pizza fan. I'm mean it's OK but I'd rather have a "real meal" than a slice or two of pizza. But Little Star's pizza is a "real meal." The deep-dish cornmeal pizza crust is incredible and the fresh ground tomatoes add a sweet delicious flavor; no canned tomato sauce here. Their salads are amazing too. Big, fresh and a good price.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
BKLYNNY
“Finest deep dish pizza, evah!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

lured, tempted into this low key joint on Divisadero by the delicious aroma beckoning us from the street as we walked by....was deceptively laid back, expected nothing.
recieved: FOODGASM.
One small deep dish chicken pizza along with one other pizza and a salad was perfect to fully satisfy 3 very hungry tall people. funky, comfy atmosphere, nice bar...cheerful service and our compliments to the chef...decor works for all ages, urban, art filled, bar-like.
might be noisy when crowded, early afternoon fairly quiet, good for talking.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“Horrible Experience - Not Recommended”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

My boyfriend, Michael, and I are frequent travelers to the Bay area and Little Star is usually our first destination when we arrive. The pizza is absolutely amazing.

This last trip, we were in town with a group of six and knew that, despite work commitments, we would do everything in our power to make sure they enjoyed the ultimate pizza experience.

As we were extremely short on time, I called ahead while we were driving to see if I could find out which location is closest to where we needed to be (on Market St). None of the staff at any of the locations was any kind of help and balked at me for wasting their time.

They don't do reservations, which I understand. But when I asked what was the best time to come in or even do a take out order so we could make it work with our tight schedule, the employee I had on the phone gave me the response, "how am I supposed to know, I already told you we don't take reservations."

Despite all of this, Michael was still adamant that the pizza would make up for the staff's shortcomings. As we know the deep dish pizzas can take upwards of half hour to make, he made another call as we were just 10 miles away to ask if we could pre-order and pay for some pies. He told the lady on the phone that if there was room to sit when we got there (5:00 pm), we would eat there, likely order many drinks and take care of our server. And if not, we would take it to go.

When we got to the restaurant on Valencia, they would not seat us while a couple of our party members were parking the car (even though there was no one in the restaurant). Within minutes of us being there, the manager, the bartender and our server felt the need to inform us of what an extreme exception they made for us letting us order in advance. I tried to tell the manager that we had had a fairly disappointing day thus far with Little Star. She proceeded to roll her eyes at me, over and over again, and obnoxiously respond to everything I said. After a few minutes, I gave up because I knew she was not interested in hearing anything I had to say.

I have worked in the service industry my entire life; I understand the challenges and the frustrations that come from accommodating customers. As such, I have never put effort into writing a poor review. Yesterday, I encountered the most pretentious and belittling team of staff I have ever come across. It took everything in my power to not educate them on how to be decent people, let alone restaurant representatives. I cannot believe they had the audacity to make paying, and not to mention excited, guests feel as though they were being granted a privilege to spend money at Little Star.

Despite the great food, we will not be returning. We will also be taking Little Star off the list of 'Must Trys When In San Fran' we share with our friends.
If you have any questions, or comments to add, feel free to contact me. I would be more than happy to pass on more details.

If you are part of the staff that served us last night at the Valencia location, thank you for reminding me how I wish to never treat people. You helped me realize that I will forever go out of my way to make others leave my presence with only a positive experience.

If you are the owners of Little Star, thank you for the incredible food. However, I suggest you re-evaluate the usefulness of some of your staff.

• Visited August 2013