“Rice isn't right” 2 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Sudachi
1217 Sutter St, San Francisco, CA 94109 (Civic Center)
(415) 931-6951
Neighborhood: Civic Center
San Francisco, California
“Rice isn't right”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2008

You can get a better deal with less problems at other sushi restaurants within blocks of Sudachi. One person was at the corner telling people about the restaurant. When I asked if it was under new ownership, the person said, "I think so." I had lowered my expectations when I read the new menu but I was not going to be pessimistic and I gave it a chance.

Number one, the rice is not sushi rice. It's longer grain rice than sushi rice. I asked and they said it was, indeed, sushi rice. Number two, there's no vinegar flavor present at all, though they said that its vinegar rice. Third, picking up a nigiri piece and traveling inches to the soy sauce, the rice falls apart. This is sloppy on their part. The avocado was a day overripe. The previous owners were using a grainy wasabi that didn't dissolve with soy sauce so I was turned off. This time the wasabi is right but the rice isn't.

The menu has a couple of misspellings such as "backed" instead of "baked". Here I was again, turned off. It has the feel of a bunch of young people just jumping into the restaurant ownership world without being really skilled with years of experience to build from. The chefs looked like they needed something to do so I handed one my empty plates while I finished my beer. When the computer printed the next ticket, it was a race for which chef could get to it first.

The fish was fresh but everything is wrapped very air-tight in an unlit viewable case. There was a couple of people next to me at the bar whom had asked what was fresh today upon sitting down. The chef answered but his body language wasn't exuding confidence.

The 99c beer is fine, but it isn't a full pint of draft beer, rather a 12 oz. size. OK. Not that big of a deal but what if I asked for a full pint? Is it possible? They could offer both 12 oz and 16 oz deals.

They serve a spicy tuna on a wonton chip over-sauced as an amuse bouche. I used large quantities of ginger to clear my palate of it. There are too many frilly sushi options including a pizza sushi. That's too American for my tastes and I am from America.

The music at the bar doesn't belong in this type of restaurant. They were playing some rock music instead of non-invasive music you can tune out. It bleeds into the sushi bar area, yet it isn't over a state-of-the-art speaker system.

The place is clean in appearance, however they have a few fruit flies that were enough to bother me and enough to sit on a grain of rice in my soy saucer when I was through. I went during happy hour to save money--15% off the food items 5:30-7, however I just don't think it's worth full price to return next time at a later hour. It is situated in a dark area of Sutter near Polk so it isn't that inviting.

30% Recommend
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Really unfortunate location. There is no foot traffic”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2008

Really unfortunate location. There is no foot traffic

Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
“Very Disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2008

The restaurant was completely empty when we got ther around 9pm. Just a few people were sitting at the bar. Unbelievable: One person was even smoking!! Isn't that illegal? The sushi wasn't fresh. My friend's food was cold, the beer was warm. At least it was cheap. But still too expensive for what you get on your plate.