“Location is about all it's got going for it” 2 of 5 stars
Review of La Luna Inn

You added La Luna Inn to your Saves list
La Luna Inn
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   2599 Lombard St, San Francisco, CA 94123 (Formerly Pacific Motor Inn)   |
Ranked #144 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
OC California
“Location is about all it's got going for it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

The surly night desk clerk gave me the first clue that this wasn't going to be a great stay. That, coupled with the undersized "first come first served" parking stalls confirmed it. I picked this place because of the location. Chestnut St is just a short walk and it was easy to find off the 101 after crossing the GG bridge.
The sparse "breakfast" was in line with the parking, first come being the cue. Getting into the room was always a challenge, and the desk staff confirmed this, many of the card locks are defective. The plumbing (always a pet peeve of mine) was antiquated, the funky toilet making multiple flushes a must. The water saver shower head made an already weak stream into a trickle, necessitating long showers to get the soap riinsed off.
TV in the room didn't work but the wifi was usually OK. The king sized bed was great.

Room Tip: get a room at the back, Lombard St can be noisy. Bring a channel Lock pliers and your own shower hea...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Stamford, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

It is a traditional motel better than average. Good location, near Golden Gate and many restaurants. Free breakfast is a big plus.
One suggestion, we rent a car drive from airport to La Luna following GPS. It is a heavy rain night. There is a NO LEFT TURN sign when arrived the other side of the street near La luna. The sign works only 7am-10am/3pm-7pm. But since the rain is too heavy, I didn't see the time restriction. Then I drives directly to Golden gate, paid 6 dollar in the toll without viewing any beautiful view. It tooks half an hour to the Shopping street (Market St.) since the traffic is always busy.
As other reviews mentioned, wifi is terrible (not stable, always drop and need to connect again), I am glad I only stay there for one night.

Room Tip: Better than average motel with similar price, wifi is bad
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Manchester UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

This traditional styled Motel is perfectly situated for some great local bars and restaurants, slightly out from the central shopping metropolis of San Fran, but yet only a short bus ride away.

Arriving by car we found the free car park a bonus in a major city. Staff in the central reception building were extremely friendly, where a free PC and printer was available. WiFi was also free throughout the motel.

We took the lift to the room, via the traditional external corridors, protected by CCTV with the room having electronic door locks for increased security.

The room was clean and spacious with large bed, writing desk with leather chair, open style clothes hanging corner, TV and clean but compact bathroom with walk-in shower (no bath). Plenty of fresh clean towels and great water pressure in the shower.

The traditional through the wall air conditioning unit was noisy, but effective.

No safe but an empty fridge and coffee facilities provided.

Clean, basic but very functional. If you want traditional USA motel style, I would recommend it.

The acid test, yes I would return here.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I chose this hotel as it promised parking and hotel-wide wifi, my two main requirements. I was rather disappointed when I could only get the wifi to connect when in the car park - hardly the ideal place to work from.
So, I went to reception to politely explain the problem. Maybe there was a problem with the equipment or my room was a known black spot, so I'd give the hotel a chance to fix the issue.

Imagine my surprise when my explanation of the problem was met with a "So What?" from the receptionist? Not the response I was expecting. I reiterated the point, at which point while clearly not caring at all offered to put me in touch with their technical support. The call was routed to my room and we quickly established that the wifi was not adequately powerful and I wasn't going to get any improvements in my room. I relayed this to reception but it was made clear that this wasn't considered to be a reasonable complaint.
One final surprise came when I checked out and found that I had been charged for the phone call that the receptionist made for me!

Otherwise the rooms are large and adequate for the price, but only book here if you don't mind getting charged for reporting problems. 0 points for customer service.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Vancouver, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Decent, affordable, clean, large-room motel. Near nice walking area. Wireless worked fine. Free parking. BUT NO CABLE TV. I was there election week and during Hurricane Sandy and could not access any national news. I have never seen a hotel anywhere without basic cable. A real disappointment and inconvenience. Would not have stayed here if I had known.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Manitou Springs
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We three (wife, daughter and I) enjoyed our stay at La Luna Inn. Clean, comfortable and convenient. The Lombard Street re-development provides many retro restaurants and shopping venues. La Luna Inn appears to be a favorite stay for many travelers from near and far!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

we stayed at la luna for our recent SF vacation. We were first given a room that was not cleaned, they immediately gave us a new room. WiFi sucks... so dont even bother.
This hotel is pretty clean. Parking is free. Nothing fancy. we were just lokking for a place to sleep at night, and shower. if your looking for a cheap clean place to stay, this is the right place for you. they have free breakfast, (bread and butter). it is walking distance to the palace of fine arts. close enough to catch a bus to go to the wharf. every night, my husband and i would walk to Chestnut St to get food. they have a good selection of restuarants on chestnut. we enjoyed SF <3

Room Tip: not too many restuarants along Lombard, so i suggest go to Chestnut st. There is also a grocery stor...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to La Luna Inn? Share your experiences!