“Very disappointing” 2 of 5 stars
Review of La Luna Inn

You added La Luna Inn to your Saves list
La Luna Inn
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   2599 Lombard St, San Francisco, CA 94123 (Formerly Pacific Motor Inn)   |
Ranked #144 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Middletown, Connecticut
“Very disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

Bad choice despite the nice pictures you can see on the website. No matter where your room is you have NO privacy, you have to keep the curtain close all the time. There is poor light in the room. If you don't face the road you face a wall ! If you face the road know that the Lombard Street is a very very noisy road. Plus the hotel has no isolation. You hear poeple talking, your hear the flush of the bathroom above and next to your room. There is no way you can relax. Plus the 3 men working at the front desk are not made to work with customers services. They are not friendly, not smily, and have a serious lack of motivation to work. This is a bad very bad INN.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Spokane Valley, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

Free parking, knowledgable staff, and very clean room! It can get any better than that, right? Well, it did. IT IS CLOSE TO EVERYTHING! All of the sites and pleasures of San Fran were conveniently just a walk away. My room was comfortable and simple. Great colors and I loved the variable snacking options available in my room. Like most people visiting the area, I am not a local. The staff at the front desk took there time to help plan out my day on a map. I let them know that I purchased a city pass and they were able to recite all of the routes for the transit system. Wow, I was impressed! I really loved how; for lack of a better term, low-maintenance atmosphere. No crazy regulations (well, other than your safety ones), the breakfast was a breeze, and check-out was remarkably easy. I recommend this hotel to for everyone!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

I've stayed on Lombard Street several times, but this was my first time (and last time) to stay at La Luna Inn. The front desk staff was very helpful, and it is nice to have free parking, but the parking spaces are sometimes taken up by locals who are bar-hopping in the evenings, so we were advised "not to move our car after 8:00 p.m.," which was inconvenient because we were out later than that.
Our room was stinky (very smoky smelling), but we made do because we were only there for 2 nights and didn't spend very much time in the room. The bathroom floor was sticky and the sink did not drain well.
It is a convenient location, near the Golden Gate Bridge and within walking distance of shops and restaurants.

I have stayed at the Marina Motel across the street and have been very pleased; the only reason I didn't stay here this time was because they were slightly more expensive, but I would pay extra to stay there instead, and they also have free parking. I would recommend Marina Motel over La Luna Inn.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reno, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

La Luna is located toward the west end of Lombard Street. This was the 3rd time I have stayed here. The rooms are a nice size with cozy beds, continental breakfast and treasured parking spaces. However, staying in a room facing the street requires the luck of being a heavy sleeper or having some good ear plugs. Request a room away from the street and on the top floor to minimize noise. Literally, it feels like the street noise is cutting right through the room and it goes on allllllll night.

Room Tip: request a room away from the street top floor
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Saskatoon, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

I have never felt the need to write a reveiw about a hotel/motel before, but after our stay at this one, I feel that people should know what to expect when going there. We stayed at this motel a week ago.

Upon arrival, we noticed:
-The neighborhood was run down
-There was supposed to be free parking, but the lot was always full and we couldn’t park near the hotel.
-When we checked in they told us that they were “booked full, not to bother coming back to the front desk to complain and request a different room after we see our room as there is nothing they can do about it”. So we didn’t know what to expect.

Going into our room:
First impression: "What a dump but surprisingly close to Golden Gate Bridge, never realized how close it was on maps"
-The only good thing I can say about the room is.. it was clean, no bed bugs.. thats it
-It had a very stale, unpleasant odor
-The room was so tiny we could barely fit both our suitcases and ourselves in it.
-The Bathroom had a shower, toilet, sink and that was it. There was no room for any kind of moving around. You couldn’t shower with the door closed and expect to be able to get dressed in the bathroom.
-The T.V. didnt work at all (even after fooling around with it for ten minutes, we were unsuccessful to get any type of a picture)
-The toliet would not flush toliet paper, and by the end of our 2 night stay, it wouldnt flush at all. We had to use the public bathrooms when we went sightseeing around San Francisco, because we couldn’t use the one in our room.
-Our heater had no knob on it to adjust the temperature
-Our walls were paper thin and our room looked onto Lombard Street so the entire night we were awakened by either people yelling on the street or traffic.
-We were very digusted with this, and were very shocked because the pictures that were online were very deceiving, NOTHING what we paid for
-Upon check out we listed the above problems to the lady at the front desk and she showed zero concern at all, saying that is what we paid for
To sum it up: we would never stay here again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011 via mobile

I think the bed was the only nice thing about it. The elevator never seemed to work. There were all of 5 tv channels to watch and the bathroom was blah. The toilet made me think I was in some public restroom and the towels were made for a 6 year old

• Stayed April 2011
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2011

I read review after review of downtown hotels at the same price in rough neighbourhoods with dirty shared washrooms, when I came across this Motel on trip advisor. It's in a good neighbourhood, in between two trendy neighbourhoods, Chestnut St. and Union St. where all your coffee, (upscale) clothing, cafes, restaurants, cinema and bar needs can be met.
I stayed ten nights and got a discount. It's a little far to walk to the tourist mecca areas but if you have an hour and a bit to stroll through beautiful picturesque neighbourhoods it's well worth it However, it's close to bus lines that will take you there for a couple of dollars (almost everyone in S.F. takes public transit). San Fran has all kinds of hidden photo ops to stumble across on a sunny day so be sure to wear sensible shoes you'll need them.

Room Tip: Read twelve reviews of each hotel of interest.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo

Been to La Luna Inn? Share your experiences!