“The Worst Hotel I've Ever Stayed In!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson San Francisco Marina District

Save Saved
You added Howard Johnson San Francisco Marina District to your Saves list
Howard Johnson San Francisco Marina District
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1940 Lombard Street, San Francisco, CA 94123 (Formerly Ramada Limited San Francisco/By the Bay) (Marina)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #221 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
“The Worst Hotel I've Ever Stayed In!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Well, we booked this hotel online for 4 nights as we wanted to really experience San Francisco during Pride Weekend and a couple days after...the very first 10 minutes we walked in (btw, no elevators!!) we knew this was a mistake.

First off, parking is limited, and first come, first served...and, good luck if you have a larger vehicle in terms of parking your car...I have a Toyota Rav4 and there was a Caravan next to me...I just squeaked into that space with about 4 inches to spare. To be on safe side, took pics of the mini-van beside me in case they scrap my vehicle getting out since it literally is THAT TIGHT!

We were in room 109 and this was the quiet-side of the hotel according to the front desk...there is no part of this hotel that is quiet...it fronts Lombard Street and because of the age, you hear people above you and walking around your room.

We walked into the room and immediately noticed a "wet" smell...sure enough, carpet at bathroom was sopping wet...further inspection showed that there was mould in bathroom and the drywall/plaster at the shower is all rotted out...it was just disgusting!! I have taken pics as I'm going to forward these to their corporate head office as I can't believe this is an image that Howard Johnson wants their brand to be known for...

We asked for a new room but all were booked apparently (interesting as I went back to my room and looked online and it indicated there was indeed another room???)...was told he would let manager know and would get us new room in the morning...gave me 4 threadbare towels to lay on the floor to sop up the water from the carpet and walk on for tonight...

Next day, went down to ask for new room...we wanted to get to Pride Parade and were told a new room would be available when we got back....returned around 6:00 pm and was told there were no rooms available and the clerk when they called the manager acted like didn't know what we were referring to...gave us more towels to sop up the water again...(yes, I am not kidding when I say these towels are threadbare!!! And fraying at edges!) So, was told by clerk who spoke to manager on the telephone while I sat there that we would get a new room in the morning...hmmmmm....

Next day, we left for a day of walking again throughout San Francisco and returned around 6:00 pm but were told again that the manager didn't know what we were talking about...however, they DID have a dryer in our room when we got back trying to dry the carpets and were told this should be ok...I firmly explained that they missed the entire point! The mould, the rotting drywall, the wet soggy carpets, it was all a horrible experience and all we had wanted was a room that did not have rotten walls, wet carpeting and no mould in the bathroom! He said he would call manager again to see what could be done. At that point, I said forget it, I just want to get the next 2 nights over and done with and will be happy just to leave this horrible hotel. I also explained I was going to be escalating this as no people should be in this type of dirty and rotting conditions! The health board surly needs to be made aware of this as no one should be exposed to the amount of mould and rot that this room had!

If I could rate zero out of 5 I would!

I realize it's a 2 star hotel however, that does not mean one should have to be subjected to these conditions...

Don't stay here even though it's "a deal"... Not worth it it!!! And a very poor example of the Howard Johnson name/brand!!!!

Room Tip: Do NOT stay in room 109... Can't speak for the others but this one is disgusting!!!!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

32 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We booked and paid for a room but when we arrived the desk manager told us the room had been rented to someone else. He said he had only two rooms left but would need to split our party of four up and charge us more than double the price we had already paid for each of the two rooms. When we looked online the same rooms he was trying to charge us $259/each were listed available by expedia and hotels.com for $159/each but he said he could not help us and demanded that we leave without helping us. The hotel was getting full and he was obviously just price gouging to get the most out of his last few rooms rather than honoring the advertised pricing and helping customers have a good experience. This is no way to run a business. I'll be very unlikely to stay at a HoJo in the future because they let their employees run all over their customers to make a few extra dollars.

• Stayed June 2014
Everett, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This place should be closed and totally remodeled. The carpet was pulled up in several locations the front of the gas fire was just leaning against the front of the fireplace. The unit had a whirlpool tub and all the jets were covered in some brown crusted scum .The jets did not function the stopper to fill the tub did not work and had to make a stopper out a plastic lid. We tried to just put up with it since we were not spending a lot of time in the room. But every morning at 8 am they started doing construction on the stairs right outside our room. We had booked the room for the whole week but after 3 nights we could not stand it anymore packed up and went to the Sheraton. DO NOT STAY IN THIS DUMP

Room Tip: stay at the wharf
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Gresham, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

We checked in at 3:00. At 3:05 I told the desk we would be checking out the next am. Bath room light was out. Had 2 remotes to make
TV work. It didn't ! Had to carry luggage up a flight of stairs thru last years leaves. Room was filthy. When u look out the window you can see the mop and bucket. I dropped the remote, I found lots of dirt and change around the bed. The bed was old and very uncomfortable. AAA recommended this hotel. I won't use them to plan a trip for
Me again

Room Tip: Stay away from this place
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

I selected the hotel for its location good experience with Howard Johnson in the past.However the room was not very clean, had stains every where and plumbing was poor.Toilet almost over flowed and TV had a big burn mark at the center of the screen. It was obvious that the place is not well maintained and badly needs renovation. Poor value for $200+ per night.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Been to Howard Johnson San Francisco Marina District? Share your experiences!