“5* - TOP NOTCH SERVICE with excellent accomodations!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Let's Make It Suite!
Ranked #21 of 236 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
East Northport, New York
“5* - TOP NOTCH SERVICE with excellent accomodations!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2010

5* service from all-----bellman, front desk staff!
We were in San Francisco for 2 nights before heading up to Vancouver for the 2010 Olympics. Hotel Monaco was in a good central location for visiting the many sights of San Francisco. Upon check in at 11 pm, we were greeted by a pleasant front desk staff AND a great bellman , orig from New Jersey- We were told that our room was an upgrade to a 1 broom suite ( I did call that AM and told the front desk that we were coming into SF for our 40th bdays AND 10 yr wedding anniversary) . This was a pleasant suprise to both of us- Our room also had chilled champagne with a card from the staff wishing us Happy Bdays and happy anniversary! WOW--Nice way to start a vacation!!!
The suite was on the 7th floor- Nicely appointed- Clean, spacious-- the hallways were also nice-not your typical hotel look-
Each night at 5pm, the hotel served wine at their happy hour next to the lobby. We arrived 5 minutes past the end of happy hr- the front desk gave us 2 coupons for a complimentary wine at the bar adjascent to the hotel lobby! Another WOW!
Many restaurants to choose within a few blocks from the hotel- just have to ignore the MANY homeless people scattered throughout the streets.(big dissapointment in all of SF- unfortunatley)
I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND this hotel to anyone visiting in the SF area- may just recommend a room on a higher floor and possibly not facing the road, as traffic noise is faintly heard in the rooms.( typical in any city hotel-coming from NYC area)

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2010

I spend much time on the road and also like to stay in nice hotels when I travel. I chose this hotel because for this business trip I was traveling with my family and wanted a suite with a door dividing the two rooms to accommodate my daughter. There are not many hotels in SF that have this set up at a remotely reasonable price, so Monaco it was.

As mentioned by many others, the staff are attentive and very nice. I stayed in a deluxe suite, which was nice - size very large, though when pull out sofa was pulled out, it was impossible to cross the living room and actually exit the suite. Just as the "W look" has gotten a bit tired as it's been adopted by other hotels, the "Monaco-look" (hipped-up Renaissance Italy) seems even more tired. Many minor annoyances in the room - toilet clogged up twice and the electronic door would fail to recognize my key daily despite protecting it from demagnitization.

The bigger issues were amenities - breakfast at the Grand Cafe really is not suited to business travelers - very limited menu, very expensive, notihing really remotely healthy. The location of the hotel is actually NOT great - borders on the popular union square area, but really more firmly rooted in the Tenderloin. Homeless beggars are incessant, and any walk to the MUNI/BART or convention center is either very indirectly routed around tenderloin or directly through it. And I used to live in SF, so I know t he city well...Other "frills" seemed tired - the animal print robes were actually very old and not soft at all, etc.

So all in all, a pleasant stay, but given the myriad of choices in SF, I'm not sure I'd be back.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2010

We stayed here between Christmas and New Year. The staff are typical of Kimpton staff - nothing is too much trouble. We found the double room a little on the small side and every effort was made to eventually move us into a twin room. The goldfish are a truly inspired touch and our visit to San Francisco was enhanced by helpful, cheerful staff. Would definitely stay here again and recommend this hotel. Great value for money.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Orange County, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

Just so you know my taste, The Fairmont is my favorite SF hotel. Kensington Park is another one that I like a lot when the price is right. I don't like to pay over $140 a night to stay in SF. I stayed at Hotel Monaco for five days with my husband while he was attending MacWorld over Valentine's Day weekend. We paid $144 for every night except one, which was $195.

The Good: Clean, quiet and gorgeous with excellent service. The friendly staff made us feel very comfortable. I loved that the cleaning crew was quiet in the mornings. I didn't hear anything in the hallways. I can't stand it when I hear the maids yelling to each other in the halls. Hello! I'm on vacation - trying to sleep here!
The front desk staff booked the perfect place for a business dinner we were hosting. It was exactly what we wanted. The staff know the city well, which is tough with all of the excellent options in SF. For Kimpton members, they have free Wifi. I consider that essential at any hotel. They even gave us a voucher for $10 worth of goods from the minibar, which was well stocked with lots of different choices.
I loved that they had a DVD player and stereo with CD's in the room. I didn't have to play everything off of the computer. I fell in love with our goldfish. The location is excellent. Walking distance to BART. Not too close to Union Square so it's quiet and not too far out of the Theater District to be in the Tenderloin. Walking distance from the two best diners in the city (Pinecrest and Dotty's). The free cocktail hour, hot chocolate at 2:00 and morning coffee and tea bar in the lounge by the fireplace were fantastic. They had Wii set up to play one night and another night we watched the Olympics. It's all the little things that make this place so fun to stay in.

Could Use Improvement:
I ordered oatmeal with raisins and brown sugar from Room Service. I was given only oatmeal with four raisins and nothing else. When I order room service, for $16 (after charges), I expect to be given several different condiment options with my order, in addition to what is listed on the menu of course. Room Service promptly fixed their mistake. The guy was at my door in under three minutes. Still, no milk, no butter, no extra raisins...have these people never eaten oatmeal before? So, the room service is pretty lame.
Lastly, I agree with the person who said that their pillows are funky. They are like too puffy. I had a hard time sleeping on them the first night but, then I got used to it. And was way too comfortable in that bed because I took about 100 naps.
I couldn't get the radio/ iPod player to work - but that may have been user error/the iPhone wouldn't work with it.

Other than that, I loved this hotel. It's gorgeous and next time I hope to take advantage of the gym and in-room massage.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

On the plus side:
The staff was very friendly and helpful at all times, and even printed my boarding pass for me with the seat I wanted. The wine hour is nice if you happen to be in the hotel at 5pm. The room (we had the suite) was spacious and I would recommend booking this as the normal rooms are average size but can get noisy (see below). The restaurant downstairs is expensive but the food is good. The location is great as Union Square with Muni and bart services is just down the road as well as the cable cars, shopping and restaurants. For those who like pets, they are allowed and reception is permanently occupied by a golden retriever. The spa is lovely with small whirlpool, steamroom, and sauna. Very comfy bed.

On the minus side:
If you book a normal room, be prepared for a noisy night. We had the suite and I was glad we could close the door to shut out any hallway noises (people just love slamming hotel doors) and the fridge which is very loud. There are no tea or coffee making facilities which is really annoying as I had to dash to Starbucks a few times. A cup of tea on room service was $8.50! The spa is great but the steamroom smelled like a steam iron so didnt have a nice eucalyptus smell, and the sauna only had heat so felt more like roast chicken than relaxing sauna as there was no option to add water. There is a business centre but you have to pay about $6 to use the Internet for 15 mins which is extremely expensive. Wireless is also charged unless you register to their website. None of the above is reason not to stay here, but a few improvements could be made.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Oklahoma City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2010

Enjoyed a two night stay. We were promptly greeted by friendly staff that was eager to please. Tim the bellman was very informative and helpful. The rooms were a little small but not unusual for a big city. The wine hour was a treat after a long day of shopping and sightseeing. It was fun to mingle with the other guests and relax. The Sunday brunch in the Grand Cafe was delicious! If you are interested in shopping this location is great!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Arlington, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2010

The staff was very friendly. Room was spacious with a good view. Complimentary wine tasting and massage therapist was a real treat! Be sure to purchase one of the bath robes when staying.

Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Monaco San Francisco - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!