“Excellent Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Monaco San Francisco - a Kimpton Hotel

You added Hotel Monaco San Francisco - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Monaco San Francisco - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   501 Geary St, San Francisco, CA 94102 (Union Square)   |
Hotel packages
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Diego
“Excellent Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2006

Stayed 3 nights for the WOW Whiskey event. No surprises and one of the most comfortable beds that I've ever slept in. Large Bathrooms. The staff was very good, no lines to wait in. There is a convenient business center on the second floor and the workout room is small but has all the equipment you need. Convenient Walgreens right across the street. I would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2006

The location for us was great but for $423.00 a night I was not particularly impressed with the Monte Carlo Suite. The carpets looked dirty,the drapes were very drab and the couch was very uncomfortable. What I did enjoy,however was the conceirge service and the fact I was able to use the spa(Which was the highlight of my stay.) The beds were probably the most comfortable I have ever layed upon and there was a very nice flatscreen tv in the separate guest room.
I don't think for that amount of money it was necessarily worth it because we ultimately got a beautiful view of Walgreen's and the bums that wandered about.

• Stayed February 2006
Sebastopol, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2006

This was the second time we stayed at the Hotel Manaco. The service was great, location perfect for theaters, shopping and restraunts. The rooms are very clean and tastefull decorated. We've stayed at a few other places in the city and feel we don't need to try out any more. We've spent more and less and haven't found better. Two thumbs up, we'll be back. Suggestion, if you go and plan on returning, it pays to join their "inner circle" we received a bottle of wine, choclate covered cherries and a free upgrade. We felt special :)

Hoboken, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2006

Stayed at the Hotel Monaco around the Holidays and my family really enjoyed it. The hotel is decorated in a tastefully trendy style. The lobby and other common areas are particularly impressive. The rooms are not large, but they are comfortable. Like the common areas, the room decor is interesting and well done. I give the hotel staff high marks for their courtesy and great attitude. The entire staff went out of their way to be helpful and make our stay a pleasant experience. After reading some of the reviews, I was somewhat concerned about the area around the hotel. After our stay, we actually liked the hotel's close proximity to great shopping in Union Square and felt the area was relatively safe. The area a few blocks away from the hotel is somewhat run down, but we avoided it by parking in the hotel lot and concentrating our excursions on the Union Square side. I would definitely stay at the Hotel Monaco the next time I'm in San Francisco. The afternoon wine tastings and free massages only add to the great experiance.

• Stayed December 2005
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2006

Stayed in a $400 per night suite this weekend in SF and was very dissapointed. Room was small and there were stains in the drapes, carpet and duvet. Ran out of toilet paper in the middle of the night and the tissue box was also empty! The spa tub was cracked and the glass shower door came off while in the shower! It was noisy and the "view room" overlooked the wallgreens and yelling steet people. I'll never go back.

AOL.COM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2006

ON A WHIM, BOOKED WITH HOTWIRE...SO DELIGHTED THAT WE DID!!NOT EXPECTING THE PLEASANT SURPRISE; Hotel Monaco treated my husband and I as if we were royalty! Celebrated my husband's birthday in this beautiful haven. Amid the bustle of busy shoppers and city highlights we dined and dancecd and romanced, loved the ambvience and 5 star service.
Will definately return!

• Stayed January 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2005

Briefly returning to my old workplace, I chose the Hotel Monaco b/c it was close to my destination and ranked well here at tripadvisor. Although I was skeptical of the surrounding neighborhood at first, I was not disappointed at all. People traveling for pleasure could easily hop in a cab to nearby Union Square, etc.

The room was clean and had nice amenities (e.g. the Wega TV, mini stereo, cordless phone, and 4 poster bed). The bed was quite comfortable, and I did not notice any noise from other rooms or the floor above. The entire hotel's colorfully-themed wallpapers and decorations gave it a very youthful and lively feeling. Much better than your run of the mill, depressing mid-level hotels (check the hotel's website for photos). Staff was friendly, and the valet parking wasn't cheap but was convenient.

Thanks go to the previous reviewers who instilled my confidence in picking Hotel Monaco. I definitely enjoyed my time there, and it was a very pleasant experience overall. While I would recommend it to other travelers, I did not pay for the room myself, so I can't say how much of a bargain it is.

• Stayed December 2005, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Monaco San Francisco - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!