“Sleek, Cheerful Modern Hotel meets Charming Old World Luxury” 5 of 5 stars

Plan your Baycation Now
Ranked #18 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Maui, Hawaii
“Sleek, Cheerful Modern Hotel meets Charming Old World Luxury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2004

The Monaco is the best of both worlds: a very clean, modern, hip, well-run hotel with modern "business" touches such as the free wireless internet connectivity in the rooms that intersects with the charm , beauty, friendliness, and individual caring of an old world luxury hotel. And these are not the words of someone who only stayed there a couple of nights, I had plenty of time to observe them. Originally I was supposed to stay at the Hotel Monaco for only 4 nights but on my last day in San Francisco I fractured my leg and needed to have surgery. My surgeon told me I could not fly for 3 weeks after surgery, so I stayed at the Hotel Monaco for 4 weeks. During the course of my stay, I stayed in 3 different rooms and was able to observe almost all the staff. There are not enough words to describe how wonderful the hotel and the staff are. A kinder group of people you cannot imagine. They went out of their way to make sure I was comfortable and I ended up writing a long letter to the President of Kimpton hotels to tell him what an amazing staff they have there. Without fail they were all terrific. As to the rooms, I've read a few comments about dusty rooms. I can say honestly that while recovering from reconstructive surgery on my leg, I spent a great deal of time on my back in 3 different rooms there and they were all spotless. I was generally in the room while housekeeping was there, but whether I was there or not, the room was always clean, fresh and tidy. The decor of the rooms is bright, cheerful and charming. My first room was one of their tiny rooms, the smallest they have but it was so well-appointed, romantic and luxurious that I didn't care. After I broke my leg, they moved me to a handicapped room and then when someone was able to join me to help take care of me they moved me to a handicapped junior suite. These rooms are a bit bigger but they faced Geary Street which can be a bit noisy with ambulances and firetrucks at night. Don't let this put you off, any hotel in downtown SF will have the same issue, I put in ear plugs and had no more problems, or you can just ask for a quiet room not on Geary street. My first room was in the back and for my first four nights there was no noise at all. If you are in a wheelchair, make sure to specify you want a roll in shower as one of the handicapped rooms had it but the junior handicapped suite did not. The bathrooms are goregous. Such a well-run hotel. Oh, the first day I checked in, I asked for a goldfish. They sent one up in a fishbowl and that little guy turned out to be my companion for the next 4 weeks. It's a great touch from a hotel full of great touches. My friends have asked me when I come back to San Francisco if I'd stay there again considering all of the pain and trauma I went through. As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

1,305 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2004

Our Reservation at the San Francisco Monaco was from December 13 thru 18. We made the reservations after reading the glowing reviews on tripadvisor.

On the 4th night of our stay, we heard loud music in our 3rd floor room and complained to the front-desk at 9:30PM and at 10:30PM. They told us that there was a party in some part of the hotel which they had no control over. They offerred to move us to two seperate rooms and split the cost, but they couldn't get the music reduced. Not only that, they alleged that we were the only people complaining about the music!

This is the first time I have ever stayed in a 4 star hotel where the music travels all the way from the lower level to three floors up. Not only did I get a terrible head-ache, but I also ended-up with a bad night of sleep before an important client presentation the next day. A very bad experience for any business traveller.

I definetly won't stay at ANY monaco ever again.

California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2004

I have stayed at the Monaco everytime I travel to San Francisco for business. No more.

The rooms are in need of major help - dirty, dusty canopies - mine even was torn! Worse yet, the staff used to be so warm & welcoming - during this last visit it was as if they didn't want to be there either. I encountered cold & impersonal service at every turn. Too bad, this was a great hotel even a year ago.

There are too many options in San Francisco to stay at a hotel past its prime.

• Stayed December 2005, traveled on business
Boise Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2004

the Monaco is our ONLY hotel in San Francisco. The concierge staff is amazing and helpful. The front desk is excellent. Our room attendant the her staff were the best ever. Not to mention the gorgeous decor of the place- from the street to the room to the tiny and wonderful extras that were everywhere you looked. We refer everyone to it, and will never book a flight to the bay without booking a room! Thank You Monaco Hotel!

• Stayed October 2004
Las Vegas, NV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2004

A little pricey, but the best Kimpton I've seen thus far. I stayed in the tiny 200 square foot room, and I wouldn't have wanted anything larger. It is ADORABLE with the covered canopy bed lined in pillows, the plantation shutters, the gorgeous little stuffed chair and ottoman... The lobby is gorgeous. The bathrooms are well stocked. The lack of high speed in the room is more than made up for by the business center with complimentary internet. My only regret is that I was on business alone when I stayed here. This is absolutely the perfect romantic hotel. Next time I will bring a friend:)

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2004

If you're looking for an intimate hotel experience, this is the place for you. The rooms are not large but elegantly decorated with rich colors and quality linens. We got two rooms, each with a canopy bed and faced the inner "courtyard", across which you could easliy see your neighbors' activities if you left the shades open. The rooms were quiet and beds very comfortable, and the staff is exceptionally helpful and pleasant. The evening snack hour provided unimpressive, stingy hor'dorves, and the "complimentary" massage turned out to require a mandatory $10 tip for 5 minutes of service.

I've stayed at many Hotel Monaco hotels before and I've always had a great experience. This time was no exeption. I wouldn't mind staying here again next time I come back.

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2004

Hotel monaco is centrally located. Close to all transportation and attractions. The hotel is small, but nice art nouveau decoration. The rooms are small but cozy. I recommend it and would stay again.

Been to Hotel Monaco San Francisco - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!