“San Francisco Boutique hotel - very central” 5 of 5 stars

Parking Package
Ranked #18 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
singapore
“San Francisco Boutique hotel - very central”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We only had one night here, but would have loved to stay longer! One night wasn't enough. The suite that we had was very well decorated and a pleasure to walk into. Felt very homely and comfortable. The bathroom is huge, which is something hard to find in hotels, and when travelling with a family this is a bonus. The pullout sofa bed in the lounge area was queen size and very comfortable. There are yoga mats in every room. The location near union square is great, walk to anywhere, close to the cable car pick up. Valet parking is $50 but I think that is standard in the city! Breakfast in the cafe was delicious, service ok - with only forgetting coffee refill and water. Would love to stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room faced a main road and it was not a hinderance at all.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hotel_Monaco_GM, General Manager at Hotel Monaco San Francisco - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear SingaporeNovice,

Wow. I can’t believe we made you a fan after only one night. It usually takes us at least two nights.

Our Monte Carlo and Mediterranean Suites do feature a larger than normal bathroom. If you have a family, it is nice to have the extra space. Both kinds of suites have the Jacuzzi tubs, but the Mediterranean suite has the separate shower, while the shower and tub are combined in the Monte Carlo.

Again, we are always happy to suggest self-park options around the hotel that may cost less than our valet parking. We know how expensive things are in San Francisco and we don’t want you spending all of your money on parking.

We would love to have you stay with us, again.

Best,

1,306 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Really liked this hotel. Spent hours researching and the final decision was made based on a free parking coupon and TripAdvisor rating. Lucky us! Really pretty inside, excellent staff, comfortable room/beds. With the Kimpton kids program, the kids had a pet goldfish named "Betty" waiting on them, along with milk and cookies. We had sangria at the wine reception, which was very welcome after a long day of travel. The room was not big, but I didn't expect it to be in a boutique hotel. Really quick walk to Union Square for cable car and buses.
I think we did get what we paid for at this hotel. I didn't have a single problem while staying there, so easy to say the staff did a great job.
Yes, outside the hotel there are the usual big city issues (homeless, not so clean), but that's life in the city.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hotel_Monaco_GM, General Manager at Hotel Monaco San Francisco - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear atlaufan,

Summer is in full swing and so is our Kimpton Kid’s program. We love this time of year, because we get to try to impress the next generation of Kimpton guests. I am glad we were able to “convert” your kids with a goldfish and some milk and cookies.

We don’t think we are perfect, but we will take that compliment when it is given to us. I am glad you enjoyed our summer sangria (despite our cool weather) and the location of our hotel. And you certainty can’t beat a free parking coupon.

We hope you will come back to see us.

Best,
slross
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

My visit last week started out well. The valet was professional, very friendly and efficient (I can say the same for the valet on departure - they were both great). I checked in and got to my room to find a very nice greeting of goodies for my birthday (sparkling cider, fruit, chocolate and a nice note). I thought the location of the hotel was very good - just down the street from Union Square - and my room was attractive and clean, for the most part (crumbs on the velvet chair, something spilled down the front of the refrigerator, and hairs in the tub, but the bed and carpet, etc., looked fresh and clean).

I was at the Monaco for two nights. Since hotels don't routinely change linens daily anymore, when I'm staying for just a couple of nights, I'd prefer not to have my room made up during the day. I tried to call housekeeping to let them know, but the phone didn't work. So I hung their version of the "do not disturb" sign on the door. When I got back that evening, they'd disregarded the sign. Earlier that day, I had another unwelcome surprise: they had held a large amount of money in my checking account - two nights' room and tax plus $200. When I asked about it at checkout, the front desk person asked if I'd used a debit card - I had (I use cash only, due to a terrible identity theft a few years ago). The fact that the funds were held was not the issue - it's that they held those funds without telling me they were going to do it. I tried to explain but was I was basically brushed off like she wanted to get rid of me. She did, trust me.

This would be a totally different review if service at the Monaco equalled that of lesser hotels - or if everyone lived up to the standard of the Monaco's valets. I could overlook small problems like hair in the tub. But to spend half a month's rent on two nights in a hotel with poor service? There are just too many options in San Francisco to ever do that again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear slross,

I am extremely sorry to hear about the issues you had at our hotel. If you would like to reach out to me directly at the hotel, I would love the chance to get some more specifics and see if I can’t address some of the shortcomings.

Regardless, it is disappointing to hear you found your room in less than perfect condition. We just completed a renovation of the rooms a few months ago and we are working diligently to keep them looking that way. We should have absolutely honored your “do not disturb” sign. Lastly, you are absolutely correct that we should have informed you that your bank would be holding those funds since you were using a debit card.

Again, please feel free to reach out to me directly. I appreciate your feedback and I want to see if there is anything else we can do for you.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Currently writting this review while's in the
hotel.

We originally booked the standard room but when we checked in they could only give us a room that had a view of a wall... We ended up paying 50USD per night extra to upgrade to a suite.?

Tim, the concierge was ever so helpful giving us some tips of where to eat and park. The valet parking at the hotel is extremely expensive $57, where across the road is cheaper at $25 for 24hrs. The hotel should consider lowering their valet parking fee.

Dear LaarniG,

I am happy to hear we could upgrade you to a suite during your stay. The majority of our suites face Geary Street. Some people prefer our interior rooms, because they feel they are quieter, because they don’t experience the street room. Regardless, I am happy to hear we had some options available for you.

I agree with you that the valet parking is extremely expensive. There are several “self-park” options in the neighborhood that are indeed less expensive. We are happy to point you in the direction of the different garages. We just warn you that not all of the garages allow for unlimited in-and-out privileges and what can look like cheaper parking in the beginning may be more expensive.

Please reach out to us directly if you are coming back to San Francisco and we can ensure that you get a room that faces Geary Street and not the interior. We will also be happy to tell you about the garages in the neighborhood that may be less expensive.

derry
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Stayed in Hotel Monaco for 5 nights in June. The hotel is in a perfect location just a minutes walk up the street from union square which makes commuting very easy to and from other parts of the city including Fisherman's Wharf. The rooms are bright, clean and modern in appearance and the reception and door staff were always very welcoming when entering it leaving the hotel as well as very knowledgable when making any enquiries about popular attractions to visit in the city.

• Stayed June 2013
Hotel_Monaco_GM, General Manager at Hotel Monaco San Francisco - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear c1ss,

I am happy to hear you were able to stay such a long time with us. We like to get to know our guests and it sounds like you were able to meet a lot of our staff.

As you mentioned, we are 2.5 blocks away from Union Square. We are a short walk to the Cable Car turnaround and BART station. We have a major bus line right in front of the hotel. You can easily walk from here to the Embarcadero or Chinatown. All of this is to say, I agree with your comment that we are a perfect location.

San Diego, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Visited SF with my wife over the long 4th of July weekend where we met up with other family members from SF and east coast. The hotel is very clean and nicely decorated. The beds were excellent, which was important because we were out and about all day and came back exhausted. Rooms were very quiet so all had great sleep. Very nice sitting areas near the lobby made a good place for our tribe to meet up. Everyone at the hotel was very friendly and helpful. Got a great rate from Priceline. We were all very pleased with the accommodations and would stay there again. One thing to note is that, as with many hotels in SF, homeless people do hang out by the door.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear John S,

We just bought those beds and I am happy to hear you enjoyed them. Every room in the hotel was recently renovated this year. We are extremely happy with the way it turned out and we are happy to hear the beds helped you relax and rest.

We look forward to your next visit. If you are looking for other ways to find good rates at our hotel, you should join our Kimpton InTouch Loyalty program. When we create special offers, our loyalty members receive the lowest rates.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

We had never stayed at a Kimpton hotel before but we liked this one. It has a great location near Union Square. OK it is on th edge of the Tenderloin but we were not troubled at all by that. It is a quirky and friendly hotel with great staff and fascinating decor. The Grand Cafe is wonderful in its ambience and the food is good too. A standard room is small but very comfortable and we enjoyed our two nights. Little touches such as the wine served gratis in the guest room were endearing. Reception staff were very informative and helpful to visitors like us. A really good place to stay.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Alastair N,

We like the word quirky. That definitely describes the Monaco.

Not only do we host a manager’s wine reception each evening, we provide complimentary coffee and tea in the morning. When you join our Kimpton InTouch loyalty program, you also receive free access to our WiFi and a $10 credit to the mini bar. We have a nice gym, sauna, steam room and whirlpool that are available to our guests during their stay. Come on. What’s not to like about our hotel?

Thank you for the compliments on our staff. We want our guests to feel comfortable and cared for so that they will return over and over again. Hopefully, on your next trip from Australia, you will stay with us, again.

Jason Stone

Been to Hotel Monaco San Francisco - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!