“Humble, inexpensive hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #157 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Tampa, Florida
“Humble, inexpensive hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Great location (Bush @ Grant) next to the Chinatown Gate. Offers rooms with bath or with shared bath. No prolem getting into heated bathroom, not real busy. Shower stall, toilet, sink only, no tub. Reasonably clean and modern. No problem with water temp/pressure in 5th floor bath.
Corner room #517 very basic, 12x14 with closet, sink, medicine cabinet, small elec wall heater, twin beds, nightstand, 1 wooden chair, 1 lamp, plus ceiling light. TV did not work; desk clerk said we could change rooms, but TV there might not work. Two large windows w/very dusty mini-blinds. Street noises easlily heard, with windows closed, but that's life in the big city (sirens, clock chime, trucks, even loud pedestrians).

Room Tip: f TV is important to you, "sample" room and TV before moving in. Lower floors make it easi...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

299 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Berkeley, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

This is by far the cheapest hotel I've found in SF, even cheaper than the so called hostels close by.
The staff is extremely nice and helpful, and even though they were very booked, they somehow managed to extend our stay not by one, but three whole nights because we enjoyed the place and the prices so much.
The room is nice and clean. And yes, you can hear other people in the surrounding rooms, like if they are talking loudly or showering. But that didn't bother me at all, it's part of the traveling experience and I slept just fine.
Yes, the bed was squeaky - aren't they always, even at fancy places? The main thing is that it was clean and comfortable.

As for breakfast - its not a feast - what do you expect at 60 dollars pr night for a room? BUT they do have the world's best muffins every single morning and I got an addiction while staying there. There's muffins and bagels and toast. We usually bought yoghurt and fruit the night before which we ate with the offered breakfast. worked just fine.
awesome location.
But of course, you get what you pay for, so if you would like wi-fi in the room, a dead silent room and an awesome breakfast go to the other side of the street to Triton and pay 4 times the amount.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Honolulu, Hawaii
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

If location and price are the most important factors, and if you can pretty much fall asleep anywhere, then go ahead and stay at the Hotel Astoria. But if you have to have a good night sleep then you are taking a chance. I am sensitive to the noise around me so this was not the right hotel for me. I could deal with the old funky room, the antique TV (no remote), the smell, the broken deadbolt, the leaking toilet (even it that meant having to turn off the water at night to avoid listening to the constant dripping), the pitiful breakfast not available before 8 am (thank god for Starbucks across the street, and the many wonderful cafés around), the lack of Wifi in the bedroom (I can't even remember last time I stayed in a hotel that did not have wifi in each room), but I could not deal with the walls so thin that I could hear my neighbor talking loudly, then snoring, and each time his bed was squeaking so bad that it startled me everytime he turned around in his bed...My bed was just as noisy, so I am sure he could hear me as well... The staff was nice enough to give me a different room (with no neighbors) the next morning, but no, I would not stay there again, because I just can’t enjoy a great location if I haven’t slept at night.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Tijuana, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

Great location reasonable prices great for a weekend in the city. Walking distance from union square, just at the gate of China town if you use the hop on hop of city tour one of the stops is right in front of the hotel
Shuttle service is a plus. ...

• Stayed November 2012
Tel Aviv, Israel
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

This hotel is greatly located directly above the gate to China Town. It's very close to all the shops and cable car. But our room was awful. Yes, it was clean, the bath too, but the beds were horrible, the room stank of urine and it just didn't make you feel comfortable, even disgusted. I won't go back there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
honolulu
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

This place is great if you are on a budget. Just make sure that you don't have high expectations and you will be pleasantly surprised. I found the best rates to be on their web site, hotelastoriasf.com. There are 5 levels of rooms available. The economy room is basically a no frills room. Small room, 1 single bed and you share a bathroom and shower. There is a sink in your room to brush your teeth and wash your hands. This room doesn't include continental breakfast. The economy plus room is a larger room but with it's own private bath and 2 single beds. The regular room is a larger room with a queen sized bed. The deluxe room is larger and contains 2 double beds and the super deluxe room is a suite. Other than the economy room the other room types all include a private bath and continental breakfast. The rates range from $49 for the economy to $89 for the suite. While rates may fluctuate they don't seem to fluctuate as much as the travel sites.

As with other older hotels in san francisco, the hotel is creaky, walls are paper thin, tv channels are very limited (tv picture isn't the greatest either) elevators are (agonizingly) slow and the rooms are smallish. Rooms facing the street or alley could be noisy. Because this is a budget hotel don't expect many amenities other than the free wifi on the 2nd floor and front desk. As you can see from other comments the condition of the rooms (and cleanliness) all vary. You should also check the mattresses for signs of bedbugs just to be safe but I have never encountered bedbugs there.

The astoria is good for a single (male) person with low expectations. If you can afford it you might want to find better accomodations, same if you are a female, or a family, expect good service, or have higher expectations they you might be better off at a more expensive hotel (possibly paying double or triple what the astoria charges). But if you are just looking for a safe secure room in a safe neighborhood, centrally located and right at the chinatown gate then the astoria might fit your bill.

I took the economy room for $49 a night. Although I had to use the community bathroom and shower I never encountered anyone else using the facilities. I was there during fleet week and returned the week after and encountered the nike womens marathon. Both times the hotel was booked and contained a mix of singles and couples and also females.

Room Tip: this place is a safe and secure budget place to hang your head for the night.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

The reviews seemed mixed between satisfied customers and bad experiences.

I choose this hotel based on recent positive reviews, attractive location, and low price.

We were not expecting too much based on the price, but I am completely shocked at the service we received.

Upon checking it, we were given a room that seemed to have been unoccupied for decades. Dirty, smelly, with cobwebs hanging off the headrest of the bed and the various corners of the room. When my wife asked if there were other rooms available, the man at the counter shouted at her that they were fully booked and challenged us to move out!!

With most other hotels fully booked due to the Fleet Weekend, we of course had no choice but to stay unless we could find another hotel. We politely requested that room service clean up the room while we were out. We came back to find absolute nothing done. In the end, we had to clean the room ourselves.

We woke up the next morning itching after a nightmare night in the dirty bed. To make things worst, we went down to the breakfast room to be greeted by the same grumpy old man who shouted at my wife. He proceeded to grumble at us and all the other guest and bang the food onto the tables.

To complete the nightmare, we realized that housekeeping had stolen money from my wife's purse. We were sure that she had not misplaced or dropped the money as she had counted the money the night before and did not remove her purse from her handbag from the time she counted her money till the time we realized the loss. The only time her purse was left unattended was when she left the room for a few minutes to use the very slow Wi-fi in the conference room. Housekeeping was just cleaning the room next door when she stepped out and nowhere to be found when she returned a few minutes later!!

In short: DO NOT STAY HERE. Spend a little bit more money for peace of mind in a better Hotel. In fact, we saw a much better posher hotel (Grand Plaza Hotel) just around the corner which offers room at the same price. It was unfortunate that they had no rooms available or we would have moved there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Astoria Hotel? Share your experiences!