“Great location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #195 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
Tijuana, Mexico
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Great location reasonable prices great for a weekend in the city. Walking distance from union square, just at the gate of China town if you use the hop on hop of city tour one of the stops is right in front of the hotel
Shuttle service is a plus. ...

• Stayed November 2012

Tel Aviv, Israel
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

This hotel is greatly located directly above the gate to China Town. It's very close to all the shops and cable car. But our room was awful. Yes, it was clean, the bath too, but the beds were horrible, the room stank of urine and it just didn't make you feel comfortable, even disgusted. I won't go back there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Yaeli L

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

honolulu
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

This place is great if you are on a budget. Just make sure that you don't have high expectations and you will be pleasantly surprised. I found the best rates to be on their web site, hotelastoriasf.com. There are 5 levels of rooms available. The economy room is basically a no frills room. Small room, 1 single bed and you share a bathroom and shower. There is a sink in your room to brush your teeth and wash your hands. This room doesn't include continental breakfast. The economy plus room is a larger room but with it's own private bath and 2 single beds. The regular room is a larger room with a queen sized bed. The deluxe room is larger and contains 2 double beds and the super deluxe room is a suite. Other than the economy room the other room types all include a private bath and continental breakfast. The rates range from $49 for the economy to $89 for the suite. While rates may fluctuate they don't seem to fluctuate as much as the travel sites.

As with other older hotels in san francisco, the hotel is creaky, walls are paper thin, tv channels are very limited (tv picture isn't the greatest either) elevators are (agonizingly) slow and the rooms are smallish. Rooms facing the street or alley could be noisy. Because this is a budget hotel don't expect many amenities other than the free wifi on the 2nd floor and front desk. As you can see from other comments the condition of the rooms (and cleanliness) all vary. You should also check the mattresses for signs of bedbugs just to be safe but I have never encountered bedbugs there.

The astoria is good for a single (male) person with low expectations. If you can afford it you might want to find better accomodations, same if you are a female, or a family, expect good service, or have higher expectations they you might be better off at a more expensive hotel (possibly paying double or triple what the astoria charges). But if you are just looking for a safe secure room in a safe neighborhood, centrally located and right at the chinatown gate then the astoria might fit your bill.

I took the economy room for $49 a night. Although I had to use the community bathroom and shower I never encountered anyone else using the facilities. I was there during fleet week and returned the week after and encountered the nike womens marathon. Both times the hotel was booked and contained a mix of singles and couples and also females.

Room Tip: this place is a safe and secure budget place to hang your head for the night.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

The reviews seemed mixed between satisfied customers and bad experiences.

I choose this hotel based on recent positive reviews, attractive location, and low price.

We were not expecting too much based on the price, but I am completely shocked at the service we received.

Upon checking it, we were given a room that seemed to have been unoccupied for decades. Dirty, smelly, with cobwebs hanging off the headrest of the bed and the various corners of the room. When my wife asked if there were other rooms available, the man at the counter shouted at her that they were fully booked and challenged us to move out!!

With most other hotels fully booked due to the Fleet Weekend, we of course had no choice but to stay unless we could find another hotel. We politely requested that room service clean up the room while we were out. We came back to find absolute nothing done. In the end, we had to clean the room ourselves.

We woke up the next morning itching after a nightmare night in the dirty bed. To make things worst, we went down to the breakfast room to be greeted by the same grumpy old man who shouted at my wife. He proceeded to grumble at us and all the other guest and bang the food onto the tables.

To complete the nightmare, we realized that housekeeping had stolen money from my wife's purse. We were sure that she had not misplaced or dropped the money as she had counted the money the night before and did not remove her purse from her handbag from the time she counted her money till the time we realized the loss. The only time her purse was left unattended was when she left the room for a few minutes to use the very slow Wi-fi in the conference room. Housekeeping was just cleaning the room next door when she stepped out and nowhere to be found when she returned a few minutes later!!

In short: DO NOT STAY HERE. Spend a little bit more money for peace of mind in a better Hotel. In fact, we saw a much better posher hotel (Grand Plaza Hotel) just around the corner which offers room at the same price. It was unfortunate that they had no rooms available or we would have moved there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shamus C
Costa Mesa, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

In looking at the reviews, this place seemed perfect for us really. We were going to San Francisco for a long weekend, and wouldn't be in the room much. Service was nice and helpful, and the place is generally clean. It's an older and charming property. The single-hung style window opened all the way, and we were able to get a nice breeze and listen to the lively cafe down below.

The room was relatively small, but it's just what most people need I'd assume. Tiny little TV, but we don't typically use TVs in hotel rooms, so it was no matter to us. Bed was pretty comfy, and we had enough room to hang/stow our clothes. If I had one complaint, it would be that the restroom didn't have an exhaust fan, but that is pretty nitpicky.

Overall, this place was GREAT for the price. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Might want to ask for a room facing the street if you like to feel the liveliness of the city. We d...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mkushin
los angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I chose this lodging primarily for the cost and location. My four-night stay in August would be comparable to a single night's rate in the more expensive hotels close by. My savings from choosing the Astoria enabled me to take a day trip tour to Yosemite National Park.

I arrived at the hotel shortly after 9:30 am and a room was ready for me away from the busy street. It had the basic amenities that allowed for a generally comfortable stay. The TV had the channels that *I* wanted (ESPN and local news) which kept me occupied. Clean towels were supplied daily. A maintenance issue that came up was promptly fixed.

Although free breakfast was included in the hotel rate (you get pass cards from the front desk when you check-in depending on your room selection; you then give the pass card to the breakfast room attendant for each day you go), I just went to the breakfast room once.

I went to the second floor common room (I think it is available 24/7) whenever I needed to access information from my mobile device for wi-fi connection.

I had my own private bathroom (vs. shared) which was convenient. The guest room itself used the regular key (vs. a key card) . The security chain didn't feel that secure to me but I made sure that I still used it.

The bed mattress was comfortably firm and adequate for me and I didn't have any sleep issues.

There was a ceiling fan and a small wall heater. There were blinds for privacy (I was on the 5th floor) and I could open the windows to let in some breeze and prevent the room from feeling stuffy.

I noticed a poorly supplied vending machine on the second floor but there was a water cooler next to the lobby door which I really appreciated, especially since I brought my own drinking container.

I have been to other budget lodgings in the city and based on location (relative to BART-Powell or Montgomery stations), budget (<$70/night + tax), and room space, the Astoria would be a primary choice for my future visits to San Francisco.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank blgrn8
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

if your traveling to san fran and need of a hotel thats a good price, near every thing, this is the hotel!! its not a 5 star hotel, but the staffs are friendly and the rooms are decent. i stayed in the room that comes with its own bath room. i m staying at this hotel from now on, when ever i m in san fran! what more can you ask for??

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business