“Perfect Location & Great Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Good Hotel

You added The Good Hotel to your Saves list
The Good Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   112 Seventh Street, San Francisco, CA 94103 (Formerly Hotel Britton)   |
Ranked #168 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
KL
“Perfect Location & Great Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The hotel is situated just 2 blocks from the the main bus lines, tram lines and BART. Only 2 bus stops away from Westfield Mall/Union Sq. The room is clean and adequate, however my only dislike is the "motion-sensor" fan. While sleeping at nigh the fan will automatically switch off as there are lack of motion in the room. I've to get up every hour to switch the fan back on. Made a complain at the font desk, but nothing was done. Luckily, the weather in January was chilly, thus the lack of fan is not too big of a problem. It will be a problem in summer when the room is stuffy. Great free coffee in the morning. In-room wifi is free but expect to get disconnected several times. There's a Subway directly opposite the hotel.

The area does have some homeless people around. But, doesn't all cities have homeless people?! So long you don't stare or bother them, they wouldn't too.

Highly recommend this hotel. Will stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard are quieter than those facing the street.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Haiyi, Assistant Front Office Manager at The Good Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear JazzKL,

Thank you for sharing your review of the Good Hotel with the TripAdvisor community. We appreciate the kind words regarding our hotel and your positive experience while staying with us. Our rooms come in many different types and configurations and the some of our fans and lights are set to a motion sensor to conserve energy.

Thank you again for taking the time to write about your stay at the Good Hotel, we welcome the next chance to have you stay with us when your travels bring you to San Francisco.

Kind Regards,

Good Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Modern eclectic rooms, great price & service, convenient location (near subway station & sightseeing spots). No elevator though...
The hotel has been recently renovated so furniture is in great conditions. There is a hobo area nearby, but overall San Francisco is pretty safe.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Alexisaa,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay at the Good Hotel with the TripAdvisor community.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and found our central location to be accommodating to all of your needs visiting the city.

Thank you again you taking the time to write your review about the Good Hotel. We look forward to have you back the next time your travels bring you back to the San Francisco.

Regards,

Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Stayed for the 2nd time in August 2012 and like my first time, found the hotel to be clean and tidy with a nice atmosphere. The rooms are comfortable with nice clean ensuites and wifi. I found there to be little in the way of noise and slept very well on both nights. A lot of people comment about the area but I never once felt unsafe, even at night, walking to and from Market Street. Yes there are a lot of homeless people but that is an issue with San Fran itself. Mostly they just shuffle about their business and leave people alone. The hotel is really conveniently located for exploring the city without the hefty pricetag of staying North of Market Street. I do agree with comments made about this not being a family hotel, I stayed as part of Trek America tour both times and it's great value does make it more appealing to the backpacking community. Check in could be a bit quicker and it would be nice to have a laundrette on site instead of having to use the sister hotel accross the street but those would be my only gripes.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Kathryn L,

Thank you for sharing your experiences about your stay at the Good Hotel from August.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and found our location convenient to all of your needs exploring the city.

Thank you again you taking the time to write your review about the Good Hotel we look forward to have you back the next time your travels bring you back to the San Francisco.

Regards,

Chico, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Location wasn't terrible to get around, but the neighborhood seems really unsafe. Full of homeless and we actually witness 2 robberies across the street at the Subway restaurant. My fiance is from NYC area and he couldn't believe how unsafe the area seemed.

Room was disgusting. Our pics will show a nasty,moldy leak above the shower, unclean floors, dirty windows. Bed was also very uncomfortable.

I travel a lot and don't expect the Ritz, but this place was just plain bad!

Lobby and hallways make this place look eco hip, it wasn't!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Haiyi, General Manager at The Good Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Ms. Tunnell,

I would like to thank you for choosing the Good Hotel for your recent accommodations.

We have received your email and wanted to thank you for your feedback.

I am mortified to learn about the treatment that you received from the front desk members and the condition of your room during your stay. I will personally address these issues to make sure they do not re-occur.

We strive to offer the best service possible for our guests and with further training; we will continue to move toward that goal. I hope you give us another chance to “put our best foot forward”. We would love to see you again at our hotel.

Our little neighborhood of SoMA is an eclectic and diverse area and although it's not the luxurious part of, "The City," SoMA is continually thriving with planned restaurant and cafe openings as well as major corporations that have recently moved to the area.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions or need any additional assistance for future reservations, so that I may personally make sure your expectations are met.

Again I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us while in San Francisco; we sincerely look forward to your return.

Kindest Regards,

Rafik Hanna
Hotel Manager
415-621-7001
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We chose to stay at this hotel based on price and accessibility to public transportation and on the basis of that I would give it a five. Only problem is the neighborhood, it is pretty dicey. Going to and from the hotel was always an experience. At night noise was a problem due to the wanderers shuffling about outside. Our room was on the first floor of the motor inn building and we were guaranteed to be woken up at least once or twice by shouting and some sort of cart going back and forth. With that said the hotel was very clean, always smelled fresh and clean when returning to our room. The staff was very friendly and the hotel had a trendy charm and style to it. Hopefully the neighborhood will improve, but then again it will probably have a price-tag to match.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
HaiyiHotels D, Director of Sales at The Good Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear DenverAdam,

We certainly appreciate that you took the time to share your review about your recent stay with us and the Trip Advisor community. We are pleased that you overall enjoyed our accommodations and service of our team! In regards to our neighborhood, we definitely have big hopes for SoMA (South of Market) as there are several plans for new restaurant and cafe openings as well as major corporations that have recently moved their headquarters to SoMA.
We hope to welcome you back on your next trip to San Francisco, thanks again!

Best regards,

Nick Dalisay
Haiyi Hotels Worldwide
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for business, mainly because I couldn't find anything closer to the Moscone centre. However the hotel looks nice enough and seems to have a good philosophy, for marketing purposes at least. Was assigned a courtyard room which was incredibly noisy, with street noise and sound of neighboring guests moving around or arriving back late at night. This however, wasnt really too much of an issue as I just stuck the air conditioning on which masked most of the noise. The real problem started after my second night when I awoke with my ankles covered in bites. Initially I thought it must have been from somewhere else, but on the 3rd morning I had more bites, so I lifted the bed covers to find what I thought were bed bugs. So I told the reception and I had to go back and ask what the outcome of the investigation was - as no one told me. They said they didnt find anything. Day 4, more bites and I can see these tiny black things jumping around when I lift the blanket - so I fetched a hotel manager and show him my bites and the black insects, and he tells me 'those aren't bed bugs, those are fleas'. Well phew, as you can imagine I was so relieved to hear that the bed had fleas in it, rather than bed bugs. I mean, fleas are way better right? So they moved me to another room, which stank of cigarettes despite it being a non-smoking room (122).

And on day 5 - more bites. Honestly, if you can find another hotel nearby then please do try, these guys just don't really care about hotel guests, all that matters is extracting as much money, tax and additional fees as they can, which I see other reviewers have mentioned - and they give nothing in return. I have stayed in £30 per night old run down premier inns off the M40 motorway in Birmingham with better hygiene and customer service than this place. Hopefully I can convince you to stay elsewhere, after all it could make or break your first visit to San Francisco, as it did mine. The hotel offered nothing in terms of compensation or anything that might at least have made me believe that they genuinely cared. Oh and to my amazement, my previous room (118) had nothing but a quick vacuum before the next guests were ushered in - pretty thorough don't you think?

Room Tip: Try and avoid the courtyard rooms, opt for the tower if you have to stay here.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Haiyi, General Manager at The Good Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Matt V,

Also, thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor. I am very sorry that we could not reach a mutual agreement.

As I promised you in person, I have emailed you the inspection report from the professional Pest Control Company; showing no activity of bed bugs or other insects in either rooms (118 or 122). I have underlined the technician's notes for your convenience, stating "no bed bug or insect activity found"; which means all insects (including fleas). We actually specifically asked the technician to check for fleas, and he did not find any.

We strive to offer the best service possible for our guests and we would love to see you again at our hotel.

Kindest Regards,

Rafik Hanna | Hotel Manager
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

This is my second time staying at the Good Hotel within the last 6 months. My first experience was horrible at best and I promised never to stay there again. However, the price on a last minute booking sucked me back in. To my surprise the 2nd time around was much better than the first. I still experienced some issues from the previous stay such as the odd smell in the room, small showers, and long lines at the front desk. The staff was much more helpful, the Wi-Fi was free and worked well, and it's just a short walk to all the happenings in SOMA (especially for Folsom Street Fair).
Some of the rooms are adjacent to the street and parking lot and I noticed a lot of activities during the day and night between guest and visitors. I would recommend this hotel to backpackers, single men, or a friend’s weekend getaway. The hotel is definitely not for families or business travelers…I mean it was featured as the hotel where "The Bad Girls Club" stayed on a road trip to SF. Oh and whatever you do, don't tip the homeless and yes there are tons right in that area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear ATLtoEUR767,

Thank you for your review about your recent stay with us. We are delighted to hear that this was your second visit with us and with that, we are glad that you gave us a second shot and that this visit was proved a positive experience for you! Our neighborhood of SoMA (South of Market) area is an eclectic and diverse area which contributes to the overall makeup of the city of San Francisco. Slowly but surely, we're seeing great improvements in our neighborhood especially with high-tech household names such as Twitter and Pintrest making their headquarters here. Hopefully, we'll be able to welcome you back on a future visit, as they say, "Third times the charm!" Thanks again!

Best regards,
Haiyi Hotels Worldwide

Been to The Good Hotel? Share your experiences!