“Great find.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #145 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Darwin, Australia
“Great find.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for about a week and a half over a three week period and really enjoyed it. Wesley and staff are always willing to do whatever they can to make life easier for their guests. Very conveniently located for the F tram and a gret restaurant next door but one... bit expensive by SF standards but excellent value compared with quality Australian restaurants. Would return to the Edwardian in a heartbeat. Tks for your hospitality.

Room Tip: Front for street action... the best, but do take one of the other rooms if you're a light sleepe...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

229 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

My mother and I stayed at the Edwardian for 6 nights and after reading some of the reviews we had our reservations. That said for the hotel budget we had on this occasion we felt like the Edwardian was reasonably priced (SF hotels are notoriously expensive) and the rooms looked nice. Also digging a little deeper in to the reviews we realised that not a lot of the bad reviews came from people staying in the non-refurbished rooms thus we contacted the hotel and requested a refurbished room, which after a little mix up due to poor communication was honoured (although it did mean that we had to move rooms after 2 nights which was a little unsettling).

I personally viewed 4 rooms at the Edwardian- 2 were non-refurbished dated ensuite rooms and I have to say there was a musty smell in one of these two but generally they looked comfortable and clean. The other 2 were ensuite (one complete with a jet bath) refurbished modern rooms and I would stay at the Edwardian time and time again if I could have one of these rooms or similar. My only note to the management is that the rooms that don’t already have wardrobes/ mirrors would benefit from a full length mirror preferably by a plug socket and also a wall bracket unit that would enable guests to hang a few things up - unpacking makes a huge difference!!

Other things that were good about this hotel included free tea and coffee at reception, a discount at the Pastry Cupboard (good for breakfast), free toiletries, lots of towels and a really comfortable bed. Further the hotel offers free Wi-Fi (which worked well most of the time), boasts good transfer links- the F tram goes everywhere and can be picked up right outside and the staff here are some of the friendliest I’ve encountered- happy to advise restaurants, shops and areas to avoid. They’ll also give you a handy map and arrange an airport transfer for $15. Wesley even walked us to the bus stop we required…

The negatives to this hotel are that the water can take a few minutes to heat up, but if you’re aware of that in advance it won’t cause you any problems- especially as once it’s warm it stays warm, also the voltage isn’t the best especially on the higher floors but I used straighteners and hair dryers without either taking too long! Also if you’re a light sleeper I’d advise an eye mask and a pair of ear plugs (free ear plugs at reception)- you’re in the middle of San Fran and the city doesn’t always like to sleep…..

All in all I have no regrets about booking the Edwardian, you get what you pay for and to be honest it got better and better here to the point we might have got a bit more... When this hotel is fully refurbished you’re looking at a really high standard 3 star and I would definitely think about booking this place again provided the prices remain reasonable!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Woodlawn, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Ashley and picked Edwardian because it was cheap and I liked the name. It was very old. The wall, bedding and everything was a deep shade of red. The lift was cool though, very old too. Not for foo-foo types at all.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

If you want to experience San Fran and not merely visit it then like us you would enjoy some of the small idiosyncracies of this hotel. On our last trip we stayed there twice at the beginning and end of a long Californian holiday. Yes on occasion you do wait a while for hot water, but no we never smelt the steakhouse smell and we were on the 4th floor. But we did eat at the restaurant and it was fantastic. The staff were very friendly and made us welcome and shared with us of the best places to visit for food and entertainment. Travel connections are excellent to all parts of San Fran. Yes, some of the local homeless people are a little colourful but at NO time did we feel threatened walking around at night. The areas near the hotel are full of interesting eateries, shops and things to do and see.

Ashley, the new owner of the hotel is currently refurbishing every room and I have no doubt it will be a better resting place for it, but if we 60 yr olds can make 4 flights so can others.

We would go back and would recommend it to friends but do go elsewhere if you want corporate soullessness and let others enjoy Ashleys excellent attention to making your time in San Fran as interesting as you have the energy to devote to it.

Room Tip: Go for the back of the hotel if you can
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

I'm resting before the opera this evening in my Edwardian Hotel room - 45. I'm at this hotel because it is a 15 minute walk to the opera.

My eyes burn from the smell of the nearby steakhouse. Being a boutique hotel, there is no central air or ceiling fan so I have to open the window. Mind you, the smell is strong even with the window closed.

The front desk offered to move me to the first floor for one night. I'm here for three so that would be an incredible inconvenience. It was clear this wasn't a surprise complaint.

I had called the front desk to ask, "Should I be worried about the smell of smoke?"

The price with tax was about 180 a night. There is a window in the shower that isn't frosted and doesn't close. It opens into inside courtyard with other frosted windows surrounding it.

Sure, I didn't expect counterspace in the bathroom, a coffee maker or central air. I did expect a deadbolt on the door, at leasted a tinted window in the shower (if there must be a window in the shower) and a lock that works on the window.

Most importantly, the smell of the steakhouse makes this experience unacceptable. I simply don't have the time or the will to fight for my money back and find another hotel.

I encourage everyone to not visit the Edwardian.

Use Hotwire or Priceline and take public transportation or a taxi to attend the opera.

Does a salad come with my steak?

• Stayed October 2012
Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed here for one night. It was our second time in SF and the location is good, but the rest is not a value for money. Our room was a bit smelly, a bit dirty and obviously weared off. Bathroom was merely clean but you will need to wait for water to become hot. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

Pros: Good location, merely clean bathroom, pretty good sleep experience.

Cons: Looks extremely overpriced for such a dirty and weared off room. Motel 6 looks far better in terms of value for money.

Conclusion: Consider another options.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

This hotel seems like a 'boutique' hotel. The rooms are small and the decor was funky - in our room in particular, we had one hot pink wall and a light fixture made of silver spray-painted zip ties. I like the funky decor but overall, the place didn't seem as clean or new as the other boutique type hotel we stayed at the night before, which was called The Mosser. The thing I did like about this hotel was that the elevator was one of those old style elevators with the gate that you have to pull closed, but be warned the elevator can maybe fit two people and their luggage at best!
Warning - This hotel is not in the greatest part of town. During the day, there are some people walking around but the area does have more homeless and shady looking people then the more central downtown core of San Francisco. So much so that we didn't really want to be walking around at night in that area, so we conveniently hopped on a bus almost directly across the street from our hotel which ran every 4 minutes or so and was only $2.00 each to get to the better part of the city to have dinner.
Parking was hard to find even though our GPS kept telling us there was parking nearby, we drove around and around trying to find it and ended up parking at the civic centre underground parking lot which was quite a few blocks away.
The staff person was friendly, but overall I found it a little pricey for what you get (we paid about 140 plus tax).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Edwardian San Francisco Hotel? Share your experiences!