“Lifes what you make it !!” 4 of 5 stars

Edwardian San Francisco Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1668 Market Street, San Francisco, CA 94102   |
Ranked #147 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Surrey
“Lifes what you make it !!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

If you want to experience San Fran and not merely visit it then like us you would enjoy some of the small idiosyncracies of this hotel. On our last trip we stayed there twice at the beginning and end of a long Californian holiday. Yes on occasion you do wait a while for hot water, but no we never smelt the steakhouse smell and we were on the 4th floor. But we did eat at the restaurant and it was fantastic. The staff were very friendly and made us welcome and shared with us of the best places to visit for food and entertainment. Travel connections are excellent to all parts of San Fran. Yes, some of the local homeless people are a little colourful but at NO time did we feel threatened walking around at night. The areas near the hotel are full of interesting eateries, shops and things to do and see.

Ashley, the new owner of the hotel is currently refurbishing every room and I have no doubt it will be a better resting place for it, but if we 60 yr olds can make 4 flights so can others.

We would go back and would recommend it to friends but do go elsewhere if you want corporate soullessness and let others enjoy Ashleys excellent attention to making your time in San Fran as interesting as you have the energy to devote to it.

Room Tip: Go for the back of the hotel if you can
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

I'm resting before the opera this evening in my Edwardian Hotel room - 45. I'm at this hotel because it is a 15 minute walk to the opera.

My eyes burn from the smell of the nearby steakhouse. Being a boutique hotel, there is no central air or ceiling fan so I have to open the window. Mind you, the smell is strong even with the window closed.

The front desk offered to move me to the first floor for one night. I'm here for three so that would be an incredible inconvenience. It was clear this wasn't a surprise complaint.

I had called the front desk to ask, "Should I be worried about the smell of smoke?"

The price with tax was about 180 a night. There is a window in the shower that isn't frosted and doesn't close. It opens into inside courtyard with other frosted windows surrounding it.

Sure, I didn't expect counterspace in the bathroom, a coffee maker or central air. I did expect a deadbolt on the door, at leasted a tinted window in the shower (if there must be a window in the shower) and a lock that works on the window.

Most importantly, the smell of the steakhouse makes this experience unacceptable. I simply don't have the time or the will to fight for my money back and find another hotel.

I encourage everyone to not visit the Edwardian.

Use Hotwire or Priceline and take public transportation or a taxi to attend the opera.

Does a salad come with my steak?

• Stayed October 2012
Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed here for one night. It was our second time in SF and the location is good, but the rest is not a value for money. Our room was a bit smelly, a bit dirty and obviously weared off. Bathroom was merely clean but you will need to wait for water to become hot. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

Pros: Good location, merely clean bathroom, pretty good sleep experience.

Cons: Looks extremely overpriced for such a dirty and weared off room. Motel 6 looks far better in terms of value for money.

Conclusion: Consider another options.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

This hotel seems like a 'boutique' hotel. The rooms are small and the decor was funky - in our room in particular, we had one hot pink wall and a light fixture made of silver spray-painted zip ties. I like the funky decor but overall, the place didn't seem as clean or new as the other boutique type hotel we stayed at the night before, which was called The Mosser. The thing I did like about this hotel was that the elevator was one of those old style elevators with the gate that you have to pull closed, but be warned the elevator can maybe fit two people and their luggage at best!
Warning - This hotel is not in the greatest part of town. During the day, there are some people walking around but the area does have more homeless and shady looking people then the more central downtown core of San Francisco. So much so that we didn't really want to be walking around at night in that area, so we conveniently hopped on a bus almost directly across the street from our hotel which ran every 4 minutes or so and was only $2.00 each to get to the better part of the city to have dinner.
Parking was hard to find even though our GPS kept telling us there was parking nearby, we drove around and around trying to find it and ended up parking at the civic centre underground parking lot which was quite a few blocks away.
The staff person was friendly, but overall I found it a little pricey for what you get (we paid about 140 plus tax).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
greensboro
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I would first like to say please keep an open mind when reading some of these bad reviews, obviously they are from people who wanted to be in a 5 star hotel for a 2 star hotel price. I stay at this hotel for a week while on vacation in San Francisco with my fiance. We stayed in room 31, a delux queen room, which was a room with a street view. The room was clean, had its own bathroom that was very clean, a queen bed with two end tables and a flat screen tv. We had a small closet in the corner to hang up a few items and even though there was no dressor in the room to put clothes in they did provide two stands to place our suit cases on. The room was not tiny but it was not huge either but it served the purpose, the bathroom was nice size with a stand up shower. There are no vending machinces at the hotel but there is a store right across the street.The noise from Marker Street was loud during the day but just normal city noise and by 10pm at night it was pretty quit. There were a bunch of great restaurants in walking distance in the Hayes Valley Neighborohood which was right behind the hotel. The bus/trolley stop was right in front of the hotel and will take you pretty much where ever you need to go in San Francisco. We used the public transportation the whole time we were here with no problems. The hotel staff was excellent they helped us with any questions, from restaurants to eat at to places to go at night time for a good drink. As far as the area is concerned it was not that bad!! Yes there were some homeless people in the area but they were also all over the rest of San Francisco. I think the whole time we were there we may have been asked for money maybe twice and when you tell them no they leave you alone. I mean come on people this is a big city you will find this in all major cities and honestly the homeless people here were way better the the ones in San Diego. We walked around at night almost every night and never felt unsafe. I will say that if you do walk down Market Street the closer you get to Union Square there was a bad area near the Renoir Hotel with a lot of drug dealers so I would stay clear of that area at night if you are not into that type of thing. So in all this was a great hotel for the price. The location was great and the hotel staff was wonderful. As a word of caution I will say that on the website it says that all rooms have private baths but this is not the case some rooms you have to share a bathroom so if you want a private bath make sure you request one!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Try Sauce if you are interested in a nice place to eat. It is behind the hotel on Gough Street!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I just got back from a business trip to San Francisco and I have to say that this little hideaway of a hotel is great. The staff is extremely helpful, nice and respectful; they treat you as if they have known you forever. The rooms are small, but if your a night owl like me the room size is not a big deal. In fact I was hardly in my room at all with all the fun stuff to do in San Fran. There is a rail line right in front of the Hotel that will take you to FW. There are a couple of good bars and social night life clubs around the corner. If your driving here keep an eye out its easy to miss! If your expecting a Marriott type hotel with all the bells and whistle you may want to keep looking. However; if you need a friendly place to rest your head after a long day then look no farther. A++++

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

The good:

Cheap, clean, comfortable

Easily accessible from San Francisco international airport. 5 to 10 minute walk from the "BART" train from the airport. Just need to drag the bags over the paving stones.

Walking distance to good eating places.

Trolley cars stops, to the main sights, just outside the hotel

The bad

The hotel is located on Market St, which is a main street, so the rooms facing the street are noisy. The convenient trolley cars can be noisy

The hotel is located at the un-fashionable seedy end of Market St

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the street, Market street is a bit seedy at this end of town, but we sti...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Edwardian San Francisco Hotel? Share your experiences!