“Not in the best area of town” 3 of 5 stars

Edwardian San Francisco Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1668 Market Street, San Francisco, CA 94102   |
Ranked #145 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
“Not in the best area of town”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

This hotel seems like a 'boutique' hotel. The rooms are small and the decor was funky - in our room in particular, we had one hot pink wall and a light fixture made of silver spray-painted zip ties. I like the funky decor but overall, the place didn't seem as clean or new as the other boutique type hotel we stayed at the night before, which was called The Mosser. The thing I did like about this hotel was that the elevator was one of those old style elevators with the gate that you have to pull closed, but be warned the elevator can maybe fit two people and their luggage at best!
Warning - This hotel is not in the greatest part of town. During the day, there are some people walking around but the area does have more homeless and shady looking people then the more central downtown core of San Francisco. So much so that we didn't really want to be walking around at night in that area, so we conveniently hopped on a bus almost directly across the street from our hotel which ran every 4 minutes or so and was only $2.00 each to get to the better part of the city to have dinner.
Parking was hard to find even though our GPS kept telling us there was parking nearby, we drove around and around trying to find it and ended up parking at the civic centre underground parking lot which was quite a few blocks away.
The staff person was friendly, but overall I found it a little pricey for what you get (we paid about 140 plus tax).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

230 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
greensboro
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I would first like to say please keep an open mind when reading some of these bad reviews, obviously they are from people who wanted to be in a 5 star hotel for a 2 star hotel price. I stay at this hotel for a week while on vacation in San Francisco with my fiance. We stayed in room 31, a delux queen room, which was a room with a street view. The room was clean, had its own bathroom that was very clean, a queen bed with two end tables and a flat screen tv. We had a small closet in the corner to hang up a few items and even though there was no dressor in the room to put clothes in they did provide two stands to place our suit cases on. The room was not tiny but it was not huge either but it served the purpose, the bathroom was nice size with a stand up shower. There are no vending machinces at the hotel but there is a store right across the street.The noise from Marker Street was loud during the day but just normal city noise and by 10pm at night it was pretty quit. There were a bunch of great restaurants in walking distance in the Hayes Valley Neighborohood which was right behind the hotel. The bus/trolley stop was right in front of the hotel and will take you pretty much where ever you need to go in San Francisco. We used the public transportation the whole time we were here with no problems. The hotel staff was excellent they helped us with any questions, from restaurants to eat at to places to go at night time for a good drink. As far as the area is concerned it was not that bad!! Yes there were some homeless people in the area but they were also all over the rest of San Francisco. I think the whole time we were there we may have been asked for money maybe twice and when you tell them no they leave you alone. I mean come on people this is a big city you will find this in all major cities and honestly the homeless people here were way better the the ones in San Diego. We walked around at night almost every night and never felt unsafe. I will say that if you do walk down Market Street the closer you get to Union Square there was a bad area near the Renoir Hotel with a lot of drug dealers so I would stay clear of that area at night if you are not into that type of thing. So in all this was a great hotel for the price. The location was great and the hotel staff was wonderful. As a word of caution I will say that on the website it says that all rooms have private baths but this is not the case some rooms you have to share a bathroom so if you want a private bath make sure you request one!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Try Sauce if you are interested in a nice place to eat. It is behind the hotel on Gough Street!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I just got back from a business trip to San Francisco and I have to say that this little hideaway of a hotel is great. The staff is extremely helpful, nice and respectful; they treat you as if they have known you forever. The rooms are small, but if your a night owl like me the room size is not a big deal. In fact I was hardly in my room at all with all the fun stuff to do in San Fran. There is a rail line right in front of the Hotel that will take you to FW. There are a couple of good bars and social night life clubs around the corner. If your driving here keep an eye out its easy to miss! If your expecting a Marriott type hotel with all the bells and whistle you may want to keep looking. However; if you need a friendly place to rest your head after a long day then look no farther. A++++

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

The good:

Cheap, clean, comfortable

Easily accessible from San Francisco international airport. 5 to 10 minute walk from the "BART" train from the airport. Just need to drag the bags over the paving stones.

Walking distance to good eating places.

Trolley cars stops, to the main sights, just outside the hotel

The bad

The hotel is located on Market St, which is a main street, so the rooms facing the street are noisy. The convenient trolley cars can be noisy

The hotel is located at the un-fashionable seedy end of Market St

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the street, Market street is a bit seedy at this end of town, but we sti...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

The Whom This May Concern,
I would like to thank all of the staff that works at this lovely establishment! Truly made my stay in SF welcomed! I would to thank Matthew, for recommending me to all the local bars in the area. I was traveling alone for the first time and he was very warm and welcoming when I first checked in. I would like to thank Wes, the manger for helping me with the transit system and his generous hospitality. But, and big extra HUGE kodos goes to Dawn, she was by far the most generous staff member. My flight booking was changed and I had no place to stay, and she graciously helped me get a room at the Hayes Vally Inn, without her help I might have had to slept at the airport. She is truly a gem and I can not express how lucky you are to have her as an employee. And thank you again to all your staff for making my stay so enjoyable, I would recommend this hotel to anyone I know who is looking to travel to SF. God Bless!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

The Edwardian hotel was pretty much what i expected. Its a clean place to sleep in downtown San Francisco for a decent price compared to others in the area. The Hotel is located right on market street which makes for a loud night trying to sleep. All night all we heard where cars, buses, and bums yelling. It was like watching a movie, lol. People were yelling out the window for people to shut up. When i asked to switched rooms there was nothing available so they gave me ear plugs. Also we had to walk through many clusters of homeless people who hangout in that area to get to any type of food, shopping, ect.

Room Tip: Do not let them book a room towards the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Edwardian San Francisco Hotel? Share your experiences!