“Perfectly adequate for the price” 3 of 5 stars

Edwardian San Francisco Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1668 Market Street, San Francisco, CA 94102   |
Ranked #147 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Sydney, Australia
“Perfectly adequate for the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

The good:

Cheap, clean, comfortable

Easily accessible from San Francisco international airport. 5 to 10 minute walk from the "BART" train from the airport. Just need to drag the bags over the paving stones.

Walking distance to good eating places.

Trolley cars stops, to the main sights, just outside the hotel

The bad

The hotel is located on Market St, which is a main street, so the rooms facing the street are noisy. The convenient trolley cars can be noisy

The hotel is located at the un-fashionable seedy end of Market St

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the street, Market street is a bit seedy at this end of town, but we sti...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

The Whom This May Concern,
I would like to thank all of the staff that works at this lovely establishment! Truly made my stay in SF welcomed! I would to thank Matthew, for recommending me to all the local bars in the area. I was traveling alone for the first time and he was very warm and welcoming when I first checked in. I would like to thank Wes, the manger for helping me with the transit system and his generous hospitality. But, and big extra HUGE kodos goes to Dawn, she was by far the most generous staff member. My flight booking was changed and I had no place to stay, and she graciously helped me get a room at the Hayes Vally Inn, without her help I might have had to slept at the airport. She is truly a gem and I can not express how lucky you are to have her as an employee. And thank you again to all your staff for making my stay so enjoyable, I would recommend this hotel to anyone I know who is looking to travel to SF. God Bless!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

The Edwardian hotel was pretty much what i expected. Its a clean place to sleep in downtown San Francisco for a decent price compared to others in the area. The Hotel is located right on market street which makes for a loud night trying to sleep. All night all we heard where cars, buses, and bums yelling. It was like watching a movie, lol. People were yelling out the window for people to shut up. When i asked to switched rooms there was nothing available so they gave me ear plugs. Also we had to walk through many clusters of homeless people who hangout in that area to get to any type of food, shopping, ect.

Room Tip: Do not let them book a room towards the front of the hotel.
Healdsburg, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

This is a great place and just what is says it is. It is located on MARKET St near Castro and Mission. Uber convenient to transportation. An INEXPENSIVE hotel under new ownership and undergoing renovations. The staff is among the best I have come across in my travels.

Please do your own homework and research the reviews with an open mind. People staying in San Francisco that choose a 2 star and expect a 5 star should compare what they would be paying for that 5 star in San Francisco.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I liked this place. It was clean and very well-located, if a little rundown. Understand that it's undergoing some renovations and I think I got an un-renovated room but it was still clean and comfortable.

I had no problems sleeping though my window was next to some exhaust... So, there were fumes from cooking for a while but it didn't disturb me that much. I was just a bit surprised that the room didn't have AC. Oh well.

Nonetheless, the location is amazing. It's literally 5 min walk from the quirky Hayes Valley neighbourhood. The trolley stop is literally in front of the hotel. You'll find that the F Trolley goes EVERYWHERE that a tourist probably wants to go. The metro is less than 5 min walk. Super convenient.

Will definitely stay here again but will ask for a room that's been renovated, with AC and not next to an exhaust :)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

This is the first time I've ever written a trip advisor review. Even a motel 6 that looked like it had been the scene of a violent murder (i.e., blood all over the floor) avoided a poor review but this place takes the cake. The difference between this place and that blood splattered motel 6 is that it charges in excess of $100 for what are essentially very basic and dirty dorm rooms. I will try to take some pictures. First, the hotel is NOT in a nice area. Sitting in bed I can hear the homeless shouting outside my door. I was approached by a man and then followed back to the hotel by him at 5pm... I didn't bother venturing out after dark. Second, they have no parking, you have to drive to a lot a few hundred meters down the road. The lot is unmanned and stinks of urine; homeless people have made little tented sleeping areas in it.

The room is almost totally bare, with an uncovered duvet on the bed. There's two tiny end tables, one with a TV perched on it with all the wires lying around, another with a phone barely managing to fit on it. There's no side light, only the overhead light, which is exactly the same one they had in my fresher dorms at college (and trust me... I didn't pay $130 per night for that room). There's a plastic chair in one corner. The carpet looks ancient and is heavily soiled. The room is little larger than a prison cell and similarly decorated. My bedroom door didn't lock and I had to be taught the "art" of locking it by the front desk staff. I'm a single female traveller travelling alone; it is critical that my door locks without me having to jiggle it and wiggle it to get it to work.

Outside my room there's what appears to be a roof of air conditioning units that periodically fire up and sound like a massive semi rumbling over for about 5 minutes, other than that the sound of cars passing on a busy road is constant. The door is hung really badly and you can hear every word of people walking past the creaky corridor at night. I had to sleep with earplugs in. The bathroom is on such a camber/slant that if you put anything on the floor it will roll downhill to the bath. the soap dish is cracked and filthy.

Please avoid at all costs. The pictures on their website are a complete lie. I don't have pretty stripey painted walls, i have cracking white emulsion paint. I don't have a fancy frilly light, I have a grubby dorm, anti-suicide light. I don't have a modern, grey bathroom; I have a grubby cracking faux brown tile affair. The area is not nice. I don't know who the hell wrote that this place is "beautiful, clean [and] stylish" I can only imagine it was the crooked owner because this place is anything but.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Edwardian San Francisco Hotel? Share your experiences!