“AVOID AT ALL COSTS” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #146 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
London, United Kingdom
“AVOID AT ALL COSTS”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

This is the first time I've ever written a trip advisor review. Even a motel 6 that looked like it had been the scene of a violent murder (i.e., blood all over the floor) avoided a poor review but this place takes the cake. The difference between this place and that blood splattered motel 6 is that it charges in excess of $100 for what are essentially very basic and dirty dorm rooms. I will try to take some pictures. First, the hotel is NOT in a nice area. Sitting in bed I can hear the homeless shouting outside my door. I was approached by a man and then followed back to the hotel by him at 5pm... I didn't bother venturing out after dark. Second, they have no parking, you have to drive to a lot a few hundred meters down the road. The lot is unmanned and stinks of urine; homeless people have made little tented sleeping areas in it.

The room is almost totally bare, with an uncovered duvet on the bed. There's two tiny end tables, one with a TV perched on it with all the wires lying around, another with a phone barely managing to fit on it. There's no side light, only the overhead light, which is exactly the same one they had in my fresher dorms at college (and trust me... I didn't pay $130 per night for that room). There's a plastic chair in one corner. The carpet looks ancient and is heavily soiled. The room is little larger than a prison cell and similarly decorated. My bedroom door didn't lock and I had to be taught the "art" of locking it by the front desk staff. I'm a single female traveller travelling alone; it is critical that my door locks without me having to jiggle it and wiggle it to get it to work.

Outside my room there's what appears to be a roof of air conditioning units that periodically fire up and sound like a massive semi rumbling over for about 5 minutes, other than that the sound of cars passing on a busy road is constant. The door is hung really badly and you can hear every word of people walking past the creaky corridor at night. I had to sleep with earplugs in. The bathroom is on such a camber/slant that if you put anything on the floor it will roll downhill to the bath. the soap dish is cracked and filthy.

Please avoid at all costs. The pictures on their website are a complete lie. I don't have pretty stripey painted walls, i have cracking white emulsion paint. I don't have a fancy frilly light, I have a grubby dorm, anti-suicide light. I don't have a modern, grey bathroom; I have a grubby cracking faux brown tile affair. The area is not nice. I don't know who the hell wrote that this place is "beautiful, clean [and] stylish" I can only imagine it was the crooked owner because this place is anything but.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

We were in town for a wedding and stayed at the Edwardian. It seemed, compared to other hotels we looked into in the area, like a good value for the location. Our room was tiny, and so were the end-tables, so much so that there wasn't even any place large enough to set down a wallet and keys, let alone a book. Same for the bathroom. I understand they don't want to cram things into a small space to make it appear even smaller, but hanging a shelf or two probably wouldn't be the end of the world. Also, the young lady who checked us in was rude, and a couple times at that. The rooms were clean, though, and the bed was comfortable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Rio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

I stayed at the Edwardian last month for work and loved the recent painting and redecoration they'd done in the room. Each floor of the hotel is a different fabulous bright color, too. The staff was really fun to talk to and super-accommodating. They got me everything I asked for promptly and gave great recommendations for places to check out in the neighborhood.

Market Street can be a bit noisy but I slept like a baby and was thrilled to be in walking distance of both the amazing taquerias in the Mission and the downtown financial district. The restaurants and cafes in the adjacent Hayes Valley area were awesome, too.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

We've been at the Edwardian hotel for 2 times in the same trip, each one in a different bedroom, both of them beautiful, clean, stylish. The hosts were very kind, giving us tips about places and transportation. The location is really great - easy to go to anywhere buy public transportation and very near to the center, on the corner of two main streets.

Staff speaks several languages, wich was helpful for us and other guests.

We recommend it!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

My boyfriend and I went to travel San Francisco, that is, walk around and explore the city rather than wasting away the days in a hotel room. This place was awesome. That staff was super upbeat and even fixed our camera. They recommended yummy places to eat and cool things to see from the local perspective. The first room we had was absolutely beautiful, and on a whim, we decided to stay a third night. Although the room was a bit smaller, you can't really beat it for the price. The housekeeping do work and the sheets and towels were exceptionally clean. I would most definitely stay there again. This hotel has lots of character with an old school elevator. There is traffic outside, but my boyfriend and I live in philly so we didnt mind much. And although there are a lot of homeless, its not just concentrated in this area, its actually everywhere is San Francisco. If youre looking to step outside the chain hotels, this is an authentic place you will remember.

Room Tip: put on the shower for at least 5 minutes before it gets warm!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Miami, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

It took me hours to book a hotel for our trip last week to San Francisco. Why? Because we were staying a whole week and had a relatively low budget, yet did not want to stay in a roach motel and did not want to share bathrooms with other guests. This made it exceedingly difficult to find somewhere to stay. In the end, we reserved with the Edwardian (got a pretty decent deal through Booking.com via Kayak). I was a little uncertain based on some of the reviews on this site, but encouraged by some of the more recent reviews, and decided to give it a try.

My experience there once again proves that you have to take reviews on this site with a grain of salt. I won't comment on the older reviews, as the place is apparently under new ownership and management since sometime last year, so perhaps the older reviews were accurate at the time they were written. However, our experience there was nothing like the horror stories you'll read from some of these reviewers. Let me explain briefly...

I reserved the "deluxe queen" instead of the "standard queen" (difference of maybe $10 per night) and requested a renovated room, which they gave us. The room was relatively small, but not a closet, and everything in it was new...new bed, new linens, new flat-screen TV, freshly painted in cheerful orange and white tones, new carpet, new light fixture, all new bathroom. I found it very attractive and comfortable. The bed was comfortable. My boyfriend complained about the pillows on the first night--they're firm and he prefers soft--but I actually found them to be just fine. And no, no sign of bed bugs or any insect at all throughout our entire stay.

The lobby is tiny but attractive: new paint, new light fixtures, etc. Yes, the elevator is 100 years old, and for that reason we only took it twice--once to get our suitcase upstairs and once to get it back down--but it worked fine, despite being small. I did not find the staircase as "scary" as some reviewers have said. We used it several times a day with no problem or fear.

As for noise...we were facing Market Street (room 21), so when you have the windows open, yes, you can hear some traffic noise, the trolley's noise, some homeless people yelling sometimes. But it's really not that noisy after about 10 PM, and I never heard people in other rooms aside from the occasional footsteps in the hallway or above, or a door closing. It was never enough to wake me up. It is an old building, so you expect some creaking floors, etc. I was pleasantly surprised NOT to hear other guests' conversations, etc.

Finally, as for the neighborhood...I'm 50/50 on this one. Speaking in terms of pure location, it really can't be beat. The F-line trolley stops right in front of the door, and that will take you nearly anywhere you might want to go...the Castro, Union Square, Chinatown, Embarcadero, all the way down to the Fisherman's Wharf (don't go there!). We used it every day, and it's especially nice coming home at night and getting dropped off right in front of your door. You are also walking distance from the Castro, the Mission district, and Union Square (a little further), if you don't mind walking a couple of miles. However I would only recommend this during the day.

The downside of the location is that the immediate surroundings are gritty. I think this is par for the course in many parts of San Fran, though. You have some very chic locales, like Zuni next door, but there are quite a few homeless people hanging out, and some sketchy-looking spots. But the homeless people really didn't bother us much at all. Every once in a while someone asks you for money, but they don't follow you or harass you, and most of them don't even talk to you at all. Furthermore, we saw plenty of homeless people in most parts of San Fran, so if that really sketches you out, I'm not sure where I'd recommend you stay...

Anyway, gritty, so-so neighborhood? Yes. But well-connected, centrally located, and the place itself is nice, especially if you get a renovated room (pay for the deluxe and just request it). I found the front desk staff to be extremely nice and accommodating--and I dealt with 4 different employees, at least. Very friendly and helpful.

It seems once again that some people expect to pay bargain-basement prices (unfortunately, $115 a night is bargain basement for San Fran) yet stay in the St. Regis. Hate to break it to you, but it ain't gonna happen. If your budget is in the $100-130 range, I highly recommend this hotel, with the caveat that you might want to pay for and request a renovated room (I only saw a peak in an unrenovated room and, while I'm sure they are as impeccably clean as ours was, they definitely look older and less nice).

Room Tip: Pay for a "deluxe" room and request a renovated room, especially if you're staying mul...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

This hotel is undergoing renovations, so don't be put off by the reviews! The new rooms are stunning and quirky, and all for a great value. Very modern, comfortable and stylish, and the bathrooms are nice and sleek! The location couldn't be better - the hotel is on Market St, perfectly located for public transport and with lots of nice restaurants, cafes and bars within walking distance. The staff is very friendly and helpful - we absolutely loved it! We would definitely go back and recommend you all to definitely stay here.. great find!

Room Tip: Just ask for one of the newer rooms, that have already been renovated!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Edwardian San Francisco Hotel? Share your experiences!